HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:14 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rob View Post
An absolute thing of beauty...quite possibly the lowest roll on take off I've ever seen!

http://vimeo.com/45871886

theKm = Beast
Wow! Now that was impressive.

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
820 Posts
Folks, today I flew my Slick after a 5 week hiatus and finally able to make all the corrections to this bird (3rd servo in the wings and going back to 87 octane instead of 93)… all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW, WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW… I forgot how much fun slicks are and this plane is no exception. The DA120 ran cool and is still being tuned the servos worked flawless with one exception… two 10 minute flights and I cannot wait to go up again (windy and rain today)…

Anyways, the exception… one of my Hitec 7950 on the elevator started to twitch and they had the supposed upgrade… not sure what to do, the 2 flights I had were flawless but that servo was still sitting in my head… I may have to investigate into 2 more 7955 or some Savox…

Cheers
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:26 PM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Had a great morning with my 104 as well!

Just finished a few upgrades/changes.

Ran out of gas in a 1-foot hover last week and doinked it a little bit (didn't actually run out, the clunk line in my 4titude tank only goes back about 3/4 of the way in the tank, I actually still had 1/4 tank left)

Any way, fixed the broken rudder and aileron tip. Replaced the elevator servos (one stripped) with some Hitec 5995tg's I've been dying to try out. Leaned my DLE-111 out about 1/8 turn on the high end and added a servo to the choke to make choking and starting a bit easier.

OMG! These were the 2 most fun flights I've ever had on this plane!

Leaning the high end really woke this engine up!

Had to quit and pack up after 2 flights because weather was moving in, but I drove 20 minutes home with a big, dumb grin on my face!

CAN"T WAIT to fly this thing again!

Fred
RotorJockey is online now Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
USA, NH, Bedford
Joined Oct 2009
424 Posts
We had a person call and bitch about noise. So, I decided to accept a challenge and make mine quieter. I did not want to spend the money or increase the weight with pipes or cans, so I made some exhaust restrictors for the rcextremepower stock mufflers I already had.
Well, this exhaust restrictor experiment ended up being very effective. It took it from 103-104dB to 101dB, which is 1/2 as loud! It did take 400 RPM from the peak, but from idle to peak was unaffected. In flying it, since it is a 3D plane not a racer, it did not fly much differently. As my friend Rick said, "so what, you take off in 7 feet instead of 5 feet". I am running a Mej 29-10 on the DA-120, and I have a Mej 26x12x3 on the way, so we will see how that works. The cool thing is, when I go to unrestricted sound places, I can throw on the 29-10 and with 2 screws pull the restrictors and be back to ridiculous power. Even Tyler McCormick likes to jokingly say when I take off, "you need more power", so a little reduction is NBD!

ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Feb 2004
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXLBMXER View Post
Hey Marty, this new 104 is friggin AWESOME! Just got back from the flying field a little bit ago and the sunset was goin off... made me think of your pictures. I really am impressed with how well the 104 is in IMAC style flying, I am still breaking in the 120, which scares me, if this motor makes any more power I wont know what to do. Did a little 3D with it today and well it was friggin awesome there too...duh. Ohh I here my charger yellin at me
So you got a 104 huh? Sweet, my new one is on the way. I'm gonna stick with my tried and true, heavy, loud, old, reliable DA100. We need to get together with all the west coast guys and have our own FLI . Hope all is well

RC
rcdrum is offline Find More Posts by rcdrum
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
USA, MI, Livonia
Joined Nov 2004
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey View Post
Replaced the elevator servos (one stripped) with some Hitec 5995tg's I've been dying to truy out.
How did those 5995s fair on the elevator?
hosam is offline Find More Posts by hosam
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosam View Post
How did those 5995s fair on the elevator?
Couldn't've asked for better!

At 6.5 volts they center perfectly and are fast and strong!

Definitely money well spent!

Fred
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:33 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey View Post
Had a great morning with my 104 as well!

Just finished a few upgrades/changes.

Ran out of gas in a 1-foot hover last week and doinked it a little bit (didn't actually run out, the clunk line in my 4titude tank only goes back about 3/4 of the way in the tank, I actually still had 1/4 tank left)

Any way, fixed the broken rudder and aileron tip. Replaced the elevator servos (one stripped) with some Hitec 5995tg's I've been dying to try out. Leaned my DLE-111 out about 1/8 turn on the high end and added a servo to the choke to make choking and starting a bit easier.

OMG! These were the 2 most fun flights I've ever had on this plane!

Leaning the high end really woke this engine up!

Had to quit and pack up after 2 flights because weather was moving in, but I drove 20 minutes home with a big, dumb grin on my face!

CAN"T WAIT to fly this thing again!

Fred
Glad to see someone else enjoying the dle in this plane. I have had more people think it was a 120 than a 111.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Dec 2005
509 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm nearing completion of assembling my 104 slick. Power is a DA120 and I'm running 7955s all around and using a Power Expander. I'm receiver shopping right now. Can anyone recommend a choice between a JR921x and a Spektrum 9020? I have a dsm2 921 in my 89 slick that has run rock solid for 2 years but that's the last receiver I've bought and I'm kind of out of the game now looking at the new stuff. I'm using an 11x transmitter.

p.s. Can't f'in wait to fly this thing!!!

Mike
bikeman is offline Find More Posts by bikeman
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
USA, NH, Bedford
Joined Oct 2009
424 Posts
I have been using the JR921 DMSX version.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:41 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,422 Posts
I've had great luck with the new spektrum DSMX receivers. On my 104 I have their 9ch powersafe RX...no power box. On my 119, I have their new 10ch standard RX that's shaped like a little brick. It's been great also. I normally fly with a 12X JR radio and always have great results between it and the Spektrum RX. Sorry I have no experience with the 921's though.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:06 AM
USA, NH, Bedford
Joined Oct 2009
424 Posts
Originally I bought the 9 channel Powersafe, but the !%*@ing JR 9303 will not talk to dual aileron servos, so the choice came down to programming the servos and using a "Y" harness, Matchboxes or the Smart Fly EQ-10. The "Y" harness and Matchboxes end up being current limited, the 7955's will have blow back that way (I tried it). With the Smart-Fly, servo programming is not necessary (or desirable), it allows quick changing of a servo in case one starts on fire at an event. However, with the Smart Fly, you cant use the Powersafe Rx, so you are back to a conventional style Rx like the JR921 or the Specktrum 9020.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:14 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,422 Posts
I flew a 9503 and 9303 on my 103" extra. I did program the servos (hitec) so I could set it up like a 6ch plane.

On my 119, I use 13 servos and a Smartfly Power Expander, but still program the servos so it works like a 6ch plane.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:29 AM
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,231 Posts
With the SmartFly EQ6 Turbo Plus, can you connect individual servos and program them separately through the SmartFly board then plug them all into the same channel and have them work on their independent programming? Or are you actually just programming that channel and every servo follows the last program on that channel?

Does that make sense?
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:36 PM
Quit Chucking My Wood
USA, TX, Amarillo
Joined Dec 2003
1,263 Posts
I'm putting the final touches on my buddies 104 that I built for him.

I have a question about the aluminum line up pins on the front of the wings. When the wings are installed the hole that's drilled in the line up pin only shows about half of itself, pic attached.

I am thinking about just drilling the hole bigger so the pin will fit. I don't think this is a big deal since the pin is providing some lateral strength.

Anyone have other ideas before I go to drilling?

Thanks

Rich
rthorne is offline Find More Posts by rthorne