HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:17 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,373 Posts
I would build another 104 with 7955's all around....2 on rudder, single on each elevator, and three on each aileron. I really enjoy my crisp feel from the current setup of 7955's all across the wing. I currently have a 7980 on the rudder...it's a little slower than a pair of 7955's would be. I've got 7955's and 7950's....but I've had way better luck out of the 7955's...so I'll keep using them....on direct 2s lipo power. I just bought 5 more for the 87 I've got to build.....

Also, I'm using FULL throw with no trouble on all surfaces.....even the ailerons with three 7955's.

The two main reasons I love Hitec servos are their programmability...and their customer service on repairs for free. I like programming the servos in each wing to function together...with no matchboxes or fancy boards required. Nothing to plug in wrong...and it's easy to setup a plane on a trainer box with it functions like a standard 6ch plane.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:39 AM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
I putting Savox 2270sg servos in my, but I'm a little concerned with the gear lash in them. The 7955 may shake but they have virtually no gear lash. I'll going to try to stay withj the smallest servo arm and the longest control horn as possible to get the throws needed to help reduce the slop.
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:07 AM
USA, NH, Bedford
Joined Oct 2009
424 Posts
If I did it again, I would not use the Hitec 7955's again. The programming is indeed nice, but since my JR 9303 won't address each aileron servo, I had to get a Smart Fly EQ-10 anyway, negating the use for programming. I sent back the 7950 I had on the rudder because it shook like hell, had wicked blow back (it put out about 380 oz-in not the 480 claimed), and whatever they did (new firmware supposedly) it did not change anything. So I asked a guy (who said he was Mike Mayberry's boss) about it at the WRAM show, and he just said "Oh well, it worked on the test bench". So I went over to the Futaba booth and relayed the Hitec story and got a promise that the BLS-157HV would A) put out the 500+ oz-in advertised torque, and B) would not shake. He gave me a business card and said if there was any issues, he would take care of it. The BLS-157's are brushless and use less current, and the one I have on the rudder works great. It easily does full throttle KE loops, centers perfectly, and has no shake or jitter. If I had to do it again, or if I had the money now, I would use 2, -157's on each aileron, one on the rudder, and one each on the elevators. The only downside to the Futaba BLS-157's is cost.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Last edited by ghoffman; Jul 11, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:58 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,893 Posts
Yo Tim! We need some shots of the new "West Coast 104".

-Buzzed

P.S. How is the IMAC work coming along?
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:06 AM
Team 3DHS
Los Alamos CA .
Joined Jan 2009
306 Posts
Hey Marty, this new 104 is friggin AWESOME! Just got back from the flying field a little bit ago and the sunset was goin off... made me think of your pictures. I really am impressed with how well the 104 is in IMAC style flying, I am still breaking in the 120, which scares me, if this motor makes any more power I wont know what to do. Did a little 3D with it today and well it was friggin awesome there too...duh. Ohh I here my charger yellin at me
XXLBMXER is offline Find More Posts by XXLBMXER
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXLBMXER View Post
Hey Marty, this new 104 is friggin AWESOME! Just got back from the flying field a little bit ago and the sunset was goin off... made me think of your pictures. I really am impressed with how well the 104 is in IMAC style flying, I am still breaking in the 120, which scares me, if this motor makes any more power I wont know what to do. Did a little 3D with it today and well it was friggin awesome there too...duh. Ohh I here my charger yellin at me
Sounds great! Can't wait to "Feel the Power" of the 120 next month.

Woohoo!

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:05 AM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Just curious where roughly you guys are with the hi and low needles and what were they set on initial start up of new DA 120 with stock mufflers. (J&A Incowl muff)
I understand that they vary form place to place.
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,373 Posts
Both of my 120's ran on needles set by DA before they shipped me each one new....I DID make slight adjustments to get them running a little better for me...adjusting as needed with weather and breaking in....but they both ran on initial startup of stock needle settings.

The sad part is that I've got hundreds of flights on my 120's...but I don't think I've ever actually counted turns....Basically, I've never needed to make large adjustments...so I've never found a need to find out exactly where I am......lucky I suppose...but unfortunately I can't really answer your question about initial startup...I don't recall where they were set...but I do know I didn't have to change them to get it running and flying. I've been very happy with my DA's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:13 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,698 Posts
Needle Adjustments

• The needle farthest from the motor is the “High End” needle. The needle closest to motor is the “Low End” needle. Turning the needles clockwise “leans” the fuel mixture. Turning the needles counter-clockwise “richens” the fuel mixture.
• Settings will vary with altitude, temperature, humidity, fuel, carb variances, etc. A general starting point is: 1 1/2 open on the Low needle, 1 1/2 open on the High needle.
• Adjusting either needle can have a slight effect on the other. Example: leaning the low needle can "slightly" lean the high range.
• Adjust the High End needle to peak rpm. A tachometer is a great help, but remember that the RPM may drop a little bit after every start due to residual heat build up. Don’t lean the mixture any more than necessary. If the rpm steadily drops at full throttle or fades on long vertical maneuvers, the motor is too lean and is over heating.
• Adjust the Low End needle until you achieve a smooth idle and a reliable transition to high throttle. Generally if the motor “stutters” or “coughs” in the mid range or when the throttle is advanced, the low end needle is too rich and possibly even the high end needle. If the motor dies quickly, the low end is probably lean.
• Don't set the needles overly rich to protect the engine. Operating the motor overly rich not only reduces power, it creates other problems such as poor transition, pre-mature carbon build up, fouled plugs, excessive exhaust residue, sticking rings, and overall rough running.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:19 AM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,223 Posts
Thanks Jim!

I copied and pasted that in a word document so I have it to refer back to!

Fred
RotorJockey is offline Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:59 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
Jim you should update the "DA sheet" as I call it with this info. I have it on my iPhone so I can torque prop bolts on my 60 and 120 and just double check!
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:39 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
Jim you should update the "DA sheet" as I call it with this info. I have it on my iPhone so I can torque prop bolts on my 60 and 120 and just double check!
Updated my blog post for the DA information.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:18 PM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
An absolute thing of beauty...quite possibly the lowest roll on take off I've ever seen!

The Take Off (0 min 12 sec)

theKm = Beast
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:28 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,373 Posts
I suppose that's what you've gotta do with Chris and Cody standing right there....I'm sure Joe was close by also....nice job KM...that's tough to top!
RCG Plus Member