to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychris View Post
Cory, my friend is correct ! I will have her low & on the deck (Hover that is) on second flight, my rollers & rolling loops are coming of age to. Im trying hard to get better, im putting in more sim time, (focusing on rollers for now), you dude's blowing me away..................
Lol, I am having so much sim time on rollers I finally have them about 15-20 feet up with the 42". I'm getting lower...
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:28 PM
Brighton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Lol, I am having so much sim time on rollers I finally have them about 15-20 feet up with the 42". I'm getting lower...
Nice !!!!
crazychris is offline Find More Posts by crazychris
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:36 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Feb 2004
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rob View Post
Ahahaha you guys are funny! I have a dle111 in my 103", so I'm a da and dle fanboy!
Im just jealous cuz I don't have the plane yet.
Btw...happy birthday chris. 120 is on the way, just stand outside and wait for it

You know, I'm flying my 104" with the my old-style DA-100 turning the same NX 27x10 prop that's been on my last 4 airframes. I saw that video of the 111 vs 120 vertical drag race and I have to say that my old 100 is almost as impressive. My 100 was well broken-in, is well taken care of and once I had my baseline needle settings done, hardly tinkered with. I've always said that the secret to a good running engine is starting with the factory settings, adjust to fit your location and put lots of fuel through it. I've never had a deadstick (knocking on wood as I type this!). Too much talk about getting max rpm's and the "perfect" prop. Just get out there and fly that awsome plane my brothas! While it looks cool on the ground, in the garage and posing with hot women......it's looks way more awsomer in the air. Get em' done and let's see some video.

RC
rcdrum is offline Find More Posts by rcdrum
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:58 PM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
You're right rob.yours fly awesome the way it is. I think the engine will perform better with the right prop combo for your location. I fly my 103" as much as possible and I love it. It's probably why I'm not in a huge rush to order the 104".
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:00 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
big thanks to aronph for taking the lead on this one while i am in south carolina for the summer away from my beautiful 104!

104 battery strap (1 min 7 sec)
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:52 AM
Brighton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rob View Post
You're right rob.yours fly awesome the way it is. I think the engine will perform better with the right prop combo for your location. I fly my 103" as much as possible and I love it. It's probably why I'm not in a huge rush to order the 104".
Bro's i just seen Rob's smoke system on his 103". Nice, maybe I need smoke on this, great job Rob!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:18 AM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
What is the best setup for a gas 104" I know its a DA-120 but what servos, 7955TGs? How many do you need? Also what is a smartfly? Sorry for all the noob planes but dont know much about these bigger planes. Thanks!
E-reevo is offline Find More Posts by E-reevo
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:06 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-reevo View Post
What is the best setup for a gas 104" I know its a DA-120 but what servos, 7955TGs? How many do you need? Also what is a smartfly? Sorry for all the noob planes but dont know much about these bigger planes. Thanks!
well, you cant go wrong with the 7955's. most guys are using 2x per aileron (the super hard high speed flyers are using 3, but if you dont do WOT rollers the entire flight you will be perfectly fine with 2), 1x 7955 on each elevator half, and 2x on the rudder. So if you dont count throttle, you will need 8x 7955's.

the smartfly system is basically a battery management system. with all of these high power digital servos, a lot of guys feel more comfortable with the smart fly system to distribute the power to all of the servos and rx. there are a lot of different smart fly systems, and i suggest looking at the smart fly website (www.smart-fly.com) and looking at the different boards and reading the features list. that will give you a good idea of what they are all capable of
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:27 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
big thanks to aronph for taking the lead on this one while i am in south carolina for the summer away from my beautiful 104!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GswKhCm-rDk
Can your batts get adequate airflow for cooling...does the foam go all the way down on all sides?.....will they get hot? Sort of foam insulated......and 2 sides of each pack are against other packs.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:58 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
could pack em in ice kinda like the old cold can we put on hot rod cars to cool the gas before it went in the carb
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:14 PM
Brighton, CO
Joined Jun 2009
899 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of your bottom cowl cutouts for venting !!!! Im making baffels
as we speak !!!!!!!!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:30 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychris View Post
Does anyone have any pics of your bottom cowl cutouts for venting !!!! Im making baffels
as we speak !!!!!!!!
None on the bottom. Do a half moon if desire! Other picture is Rcdrums's Slick. Notice his half moon cut out on the cowl. Last picture shows Joe Smith's Slick with just vents opened up.
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Last edited by RC4x4; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
well, you cant go wrong with the 7955's. most guys are using 2x per aileron (the super hard high speed flyers are using 3, but if you dont do WOT rollers the entire flight you will be perfectly fine with 2), 1x 7955 on each elevator half, and 2x on the rudder. So if you dont count throttle, you will need 8x 7955's.

the smartfly system is basically a battery management system. with all of these high power digital servos, a lot of guys feel more comfortable with the smart fly system to distribute the power to all of the servos and rx. there are a lot of different smart fly systems, and i suggest looking at the smart fly website (www.smart-fly.com) and looking at the different boards and reading the features list. that will give you a good idea of what they are all capable of
So its like a BEC? Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
551 Posts
Which smartfly is the most popular for the 104"?