HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Video
How to beat the winter doldrums: FLY the Cub on Skis with Gopro HD onboard!

This is video of my World Models 1/5 Clipped Wing Cub on Skis during a recent snowy morning in NJ flying at Dorbrook Park / JCSF club field. This was not during the Christmas blizzard, but one of the light snow "clippers" that had passed through shortly after that storm. The Cub has an O.S. 81fs and Dubro .60 size skis attached to Robart Cub landing gear.

I mounted the Gopro camera on a simple rotating mount on top of the wing at CG to get some camera panning in flight.

Both links below are for the same movie, Vimeo and Youtube...

World Models 1/5 Scale Cub on Skis With Gopro Onboard Video (4 min 5 sec)

World Models Super Cub on Skis Practicing Takeoffs and Landings On A Snowy Morning (4 min 6 sec)
Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
Last edited by Kenpilot; Nov 22, 2011 at 11:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:04 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
579 Posts
You Beat The Doldrums For Me

Hi kenpilot:

Fantastic video- thank you very much. We know about the winter non-flying doldrums here in Wisconsin. It is a beautiful morning (Sunday- 01/09/11) but bloody awful cold, 0 degrees F at 0700, so a day in the basement building.

Your Cub and video work are outstanding !

Tom

Milton, WI
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:21 AM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Really nice video.
jmpdgs is offline Find More Posts by jmpdgs
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:21 PM
just go FLY !!
Jasper, TN
Joined May 2004
1,176 Posts
very cool video !!!
brn-grose is offline Find More Posts by brn-grose
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:29 AM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
:)

Thanks for the positive comments. I was out again yesterday with this Cub, and it just flies so well on skis, really is amazing what a well behaved aircraft it is. Also had the Goldberg Cub out, and for some reason it is just not as well mannered as the clipped wing. But it made for some good video clips nonetheless.

As I write this, another big snowstorm is dumping probably a foot outside. Warming up the snow shovel for some more all day snow removal action.

Should have bought that beautiful snowblower I saw in August.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:42 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
579 Posts
More Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpilot View Post
Thanks for the positive comments. I was out again yesterday with this Cub, and it just flies so well on skis, really is amazing what a well behaved aircraft it is. Also had the Goldberg Cub out, and for some reason it is just not as well mannered as the clipped wing. But it made for some good video clips nonetheless.

As I write this, another big snowstorm is dumping probably a foot outside. Warming up the snow shovel for some more all day snow removal action.

Should have bought that beautiful snowblower I saw in August.
Hi kenpilot:

I know what you mean about "more snow", we have it forecast for the next 5 days. The storms have been pretty good to us though, no monster's . We have only had one Alberta Clipper this year. GET THAT BLOWER ! I had to get a new blower two seasons ago, Poulan 14.5 HP with power steering, makes turn arounds much easier on the back.

Interesting about the cubs. I have only built the long wing versions, 3 or 4 over the years ( couple in my blog gallery) but everyone of mine had brutal tip stalls lurking if you got too slow on final.

Best,

Tom
Milton, WI
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:22 PM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Goldberg Cub flying with geese!

Cub On Skis Sharing The Winter Sky With Geese (3 min 26 sec)

Had the Flip HD on the ground and the Gopro onboard. Was trying to do close flybys and landings. Got so close that I knocked the camera over. Then some Geese flew in and gave me a couple of amazing photo opportunities...
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:15 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
cool vid Ken...Thanks.!
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:18 PM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Air to Air Super Cub and Super Stunts

Super Cub vs. Super Stunts Chasing Shadows 720p (7 min 42 sec)