Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:23 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Discussion
Maximum length between Esc & Motor

Hi All i'm sure this qestion has been asked before
i need to move my esc as far back as i possibly can to be able to get the COG right in one of my planes but dont want to kill a 500+ $ esc , the minimum that i need is 300mm (12 inches)is this possible ? and will i loose any performance by doing so?
I know that i could add some wheight to the tail of the plane but this thing already wheights 800 grams more then what it's supposed to be
Many thanks
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:48 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,071 Posts
Between ESC and motor, length is not critical. You won't notice a 12" extension at all. The critical side is between ESC and battery, and even there, 12" would be tolerable. I'd match the motor wire gauge with good quality silicon wires.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:08 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest View Post
Between ESC and motor, length is not critical. You won't notice a 12" extension at all. The critical side is between ESC and battery, and even there, 12" would be tolerable. I'd match the motor wire gauge with good quality silicon wires.
Hi Thanks for that would i still be able to use 4 mm bullets i know it would be better to solder the wires but i dont have the room i only have a 25 mm hole for the wires to go thru
hanks again for your help
Cheers
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:32 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,071 Posts
I'd use the bullets too. There is very little loss in those. Good luck with the installation.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:54 PM
God of Gravity Poisoning
Joined Nov 2010
336 Posts
You shouldn't have any worries extending your ESC output wires your motor is full of wire that side of the ESC is more tolerant of inductance than the battery side. The only issue I've ever heard from longer ESC motor wires is minor RF interference with the rx this can be avoided by braiding or twisting the three motor wires together or careful wire placement.
Arkansas Travelr is offline Find More Posts by Arkansas Travelr
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:55 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Travelr View Post
You shouldn't have any worries extending your ESC output wires your motor is full of wire that side of the ESC is more tolerant of inductance than the battery side. The only issue I've ever heard from longer ESC motor wires is minor RF interference with the rx this can be avoided by braiding or twisting the three motor wires together or careful wire placement.
Hi Guys many thanks to you both i have done the install and will try it out next weekend