SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:34 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
946 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Radian or Great Planes Spirit 2M?

The Parkzone Radian seems to get rave reviews. But, to be honest, it's hard for me to get excited about the foam construction. I currently have a Mini Cub and Super Cub. Both in the EPP version. Nothing wrong with the Cub's. But, I just don't know if I would go that route with a Sailplane.

I remember really enjoying building my Gentle Lady 20-some years ago. I'm looking for the pro's and con's between the Radian and the Spirit.

TIA,
Curtis
suseuser is online now Find More Posts by suseuser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
A 2-m Great Planes Spirit (no prop) was my first plane. Despite the fact that the flight characteristics were not the best, I had a lot of fun and learned to fly with that plane. If you still feel inclined to build a Spirit, you might profit from my comments on the CRRC site:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...spiritmods.htm

I have flown a Radian on several occasions. That plane (with motor off) flies better than my Spirit. By better, I mean more stable in both pitch and yaw as well as easier to guide through a turn. Note: the Radian does not come as a pure sailplane and the wing is not designed for launching with a high start or winch.

If you would like to build a sailplane, a 2-m Chrysalis is a great kit. A 100-in. sailplane kit that a lot of folks like is the Oly II (or III). Ray Hayes sells some nice kits:

http://www.skybench.com
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:51 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
If you enjoy hitting yourself in the head with a hammer, or eating garbage, I suggest the Spirit. OK, I exaggerate slightly. But the Oly 2 would be far better, if a bit slower, and if you're really feeling nostalgic, the GL kit is still made. If you want to have some speed, maybe the Oly 2s or the Scepter. I've flown an overweight example of the Scepter, and it was ok except for the weight. The builder had added extra material that was not needed.

Everyone seems to like the Radian. I just bought one, but it's too dark to fly and tomorrow it will probably be too windy, or maybe just too cold. We'll see.

BTW, if you re-engineered the Spirit to have a significantly longer tail, and maybe a slightly longer nose for balance, it might turn out to be a decent flyer. But why bother when there are kits which will fly well as designed.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:02 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
The fuse is too short on the Spirit 2 meter and the wings should really be sheeted out to the tips. Oh yeah, some washout might be nice too. And the rudder could be bigger.... Well, you get the picture.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:54 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,664 Posts
I flew a Spirit once......once...

My Radian flies like a dream, floats like a cloud, soars like an eagle, and climbs like a homesick angel...forget everything you thought you knew about foam. This is the 21st century and the Radian just aint the old Spirit of '76 that you may remember trying to fly.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:58 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
946 Posts
Wow, apparently the Spirit isn't a popular glider. It looked a lot like the GL. I've seen references to the Oly 2 but I haven't researched it. I enjoy a really slow glider. One that can really hang in the air. I think that is what I liked about the GL. Can anyone give me any info on the Oly 2?

Curtis
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:16 AM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
256 Posts
Since you are tending to want to build - and I hear you on that - I would suggest any 2m woodie kit that is around. I have had huge success with a 2m sig riser, and lots of friends with gentle ladies have done well. No experience with the oly 2 but have heard good reviews on it. I have also heard good things about the spirit as well...

The radian is a great flyer but does have it's limitations - as mentioned. Too bad we can't find lots of the old wood kits like the sagitta's and such.

Hope you find the bird you're looking for!
PS we're virtually neighbors

Jim
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:21 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
946 Posts
My LHS actually has an old Windward glider kit on the shelf. Apparently, an older gentleman is selling off his collection a little bit at a time. The Windward looked interesting.

Curtis
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:36 AM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
256 Posts
I must be honest

I work at the LHS in Nampa

Cheers
Jim
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:38 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
I must be honest

I work at the LHS in Nampa

Cheers
Jim

Thats funny. You were probably the one who showed it to me!

Curtis
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:47 AM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,664 Posts
Martini brought up the 2m Riser... Awesome flyer!! I had many hours of flying pleasure from a Riser.
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Jan 09, 2011, 02:19 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
946 Posts
The Oly 2 is looking really promising. Seems a lot like the GL. I was originally thinking about converting a sailplane to electric. But, I'm considering a high-start. I've had good luck with them. But, the convenience of an electric launch is tempting.

Curtis
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:48 AM
'da Range
Joined Nov 2003
253 Posts
You should priortize your interests in this hobby (like to fly vs like to build). If you like to fly, use the Radian and you won't regret it. If you like to build, any of the aforementioned kits are fine. Repairing any balsa or foam damage is very easy.

I fly a motorize Spirit (Spectra) all winter long. At 28 oz AUW, I have no trouble at all finding winter thermals and spend a lot of time practicing my thermal search for them. I disagree that they don't fly well,, you might research some Spirit mods on the CharlesRiver website...and learn more about what makes a better sailplane. Kit built tailfeathers are much lighter than the ARF versions of this plane and the flying performance definitely improves with the removed weight. Proper washout can be easily ironed-in on any film covered bird...you will need this.

The Radian will probably out fly the Spirit, IMO. It is definitely the one to start with if you're a beginner. I would have been equally happy with it had I chosen it some time ago, but it didn't exist. Wind is usually the big problem with most any 2M unless you have the likes of an Allegro-lite. Now there is a building challenge and you get excellent all around flying performance.
JrcSeller is offline Find More Posts by JrcSeller
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:38 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrcSeller View Post
You should priortize your interests in this hobby (like to fly vs like to build). If you like to fly, use the Radian and you won't regret it. If you like to build, any of the aforementioned kits are fine. Repairing any balsa or foam damage is very easy. <snip>
I guess I have an interest in both flying and building. Recently, I've only been involved in the flying aspect. I've only gotten back into flying for about a year. So, I picked up a "foam" Super Cub and Mini Cub RTF. They have been a lot of fun. And the Cub's have been very forgiving in the case of rough landings.
I had gotten hour after hour of enjoyment out of my departed GL. To my surprise my wife threw out the wings a while ago.

I was flying Nitro Powered planes at the same time I was flying the GL. But compared to the Nitro Planes I got double or triple the flight times with the GL. And none of the mess. I was awe-inspired with its beauty and silence. It seemed like magic. With the advent of the new more powerful electric motors, I may consider this as a launch alternative. I just think the prop tends to distract for the beautiful lines of a Sailplane. It's more about aesthetics than function.

Curtis
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:18 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
282 Posts
I owned a spirit (later electrified) a long time ago. Now I have a radian. Totally cool little plane. Yesterday I was having fun doing short 5 sec motor runs to about a dlg launch height, and thermalling away from there. No way you could have much success doing something like that with an e-spirit.
areid is offline Find More Posts by areid