HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:29 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,656 Posts
Oh yeah, I had not read the fine print there at HK, they say "..Optional diopter lens inserts available in -2, -4 -6 dpt..." and they even sell them at HK (you have to buy them all to get any I guess) for $16.32.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
I report that these are non issue at all, I was worrying about the same before I hit the buy button but the cups did not came off even once yet.
I had my winter hat on and FS over when I launch and then put the goggles on, no problem.
If you dont make the band too tight there is no way the cups will dig into your eye sockets at all. They are very light and I fell in love with them enough to retire my HP goggles with the mask. One reason I sold my second HP pair.
Smaller picture size "problem" goes away after 2nd flight and having no wires restricting your movements is a major plus. I can get away from my GS way over 100' totally unrestricted.
LOVE them.
Thanks...good info to hear. I've got some MyVu's glasses to try. They certainly aren't 'full immersion' though. I'd love to come across someone local with these to give them a 'try before I buy' test. Though...ReadyMadeRC said he'd take returns if not satisfied as long as everything is returned in (like new) condition.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
...ReadyMadeRC said he'd take returns if not satisfied as long as everything is returned in (like new) condition.
I have ordered a bunch from them since getting into FPV; you certainly will not recieve that level of support/custormer service from HK... more reason to by from RMRC.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,809 Posts
What about adjustable IPD's...I think some of the other FS had it. Do the Dominators?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:47 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,776 Posts
Unfortunately there is no any optics adjustment in dominators besides getting extra lenses. But u have contrast brightness and channels for wireless transmission to adjust.
If u need adjustment for optics then HP have it but that stinking box (liberator) is a real pain.

By the way looking good in DL hoodie
Lol
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:53 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Unfortunately there is no any optics adjustment in dominators besides getting extra lenses. But u have contrast brightness and channels for wireless transmission to adjust.
If u need adjustment for optics then HP have it but that stinking box (liberator) is a real pain.
Yeah, I had the HPs. Really good video, but I couldn't keep both eyes centered right and one side or the other would either blur out or plain 'ol disappear from view. The wireless option of the Dominators is nice, but, my 5.8G setup is from the 'other' group that doesn't work with them...so I'd be wired anyway. One day I'll find that 'perfect' pair...maybe. I might have to bite the bullet and try a set of Dominators from somewhere (when in stock) I can return them to if not satisfied.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:29 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,776 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I had the HPs. Really good video, but I couldn't keep both eyes centered right and one side or the other would either blur out or plain 'ol disappear from view. The wireless option of the Dominators is nice, but, my 5.8G setup is from the 'other' group that doesn't work with them...so I'd be wired anyway. One day I'll find that 'perfect' pair...maybe. I might have to bite the bullet and try a set of Dominators from somewhere (when in stock) I can return them to if not satisfied.
So in HP you did not have enough adjustment to center them correctly??
Hmm, had left side bit off but once focused on the total screen (seeing one screen all together) it was OK.
Maybe because FS Dominator screen is a bit smaller its better to view it without adjustment?
I tried and compared FS about 3 times before wireless option made me buy them. So if you get them take some time and it takes few minutes to get used to different picture. Friend of mine went from Dominator to older model (Aviator larger screen) and now kind of regrets it for the convenience of Dominator.
If you dont know anyone around with the FS buythem try them, Tim will take them back no problem.
Oh there is also another convenience - power from the battery
Total freedom, leave your car and GS in the parking lot and go to the field with goggles only Cant beat that one LOL.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:51 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
What about adjustable IPD's...I think some of the other FS had it. Do the Dominators?
because the optics in the dominator/pred don't use as much magnification as the base's or aviators, the IPD isn't as crucial.

basically, the lenses allow more eyes to see from more angles
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:27 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,809 Posts
I could center the view on my HPs through the adjustments...I really liked that. I think it was the magnification that got in the way though. If they got a little crooked they weren't centered on the eye(s) right and would go out of view. I thought about trying the FS Dominators until I found a thread on MyVu glasses. I've now bought two pair of them to try. I haven't used them in flight yet, but do miss not being able to focus them for my eyes. If they work out okay I might step up to the Dominators later on and sell the other stuff I've got.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Fat Shark Head Tracker to EZUHF Data Cable

Is this just a normal ps2 to ps2 cable that I can buy from any electronic store?
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
I did that on purpose.
Charlotte, NC
Joined Apr 2006
500 Posts
The Predators are more of the "budget" option from FatShark. A little less $ than the Dominator or the others.

$300 for a Predator set can get you the Tx, Rx, Headtracker and a camera from HK.

$300 for the Dominators gets you the goggles only. No Tx, Rx, Headtracker, etc.

Seems to be about $100 difference or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
I wonder if the Fatshark Predators are superior to the Dominators ! I cant work it out !

Really good review. Many Thx !
cferrell is offline Find More Posts by cferrell
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:05 AM
get high
charlotte, nc
Joined Feb 2011
360 Posts
What's up outlaw? well i ordered a hk predator fpv composite plane, now i just need to step up and get the dominators! See you on sunday, hopefully.
BLOWZILLA is offline Find More Posts by BLOWZILLA
Old Jan 01, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
I am new to FPV, but have a number of airplanes designed for FPV equipment. After viewing this article, I am going to order me one of these. Thanks so much for the review. It is just what I was looking for before I purchased something.
arthurwhitt is offline Find More Posts by arthurwhitt
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:50 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurwhitt View Post
I am new to FPV, but have a number of airplanes designed for FPV equipment. After viewing this article, I am going to order me one of these. Thanks so much for the review. It is just what I was looking for before I purchased something.
Have you seen the review on the Fat Shark Predator? It's similar to the Dominator physically, has a narrower field of view, but comes with 5.8g VRx installed and a head tracker. You can get both from HK for the same price with the Predator version coming with a 5.8 100mW VTx and camera. I'm sure the camera isn't the best, but to get the VRx module, head tracker and VTx for the same price as the Dominator isn't a bad deal. That said, the Pred. has s small FOV and a less expensive LCD setup...but the reviews still sound good. I've got one on order.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:33 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,776 Posts
So you went for Predator :-(
Hope you like it.
Happy New Year
RCG Plus Member