HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:42 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Help!
Need help removing Heli Artist body from HK500CMT

I was given a Hobby King HK500CMT with a Heli Artist A109 scale body. It looks like it was crashed, no blades, and needs to be inspected. I've only built one heli, a Dragonus, and need help getting this body off so I can take a good look at the mechanics and put it back on skids so I don't tear up a nice body kit. Can anyone give me a step by step procedure for removing the tail rotor so I can get this body off? I'm wondering how they ever put the tail unit on with all the belt tension?
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:02 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Here are a couple photos of what I'm up against. I can't really see anything except the three screws capturing the belt drive pully. I don't see anything else you can put a tool to except those screws and the tail pitch controls.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:16 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,808 Posts
Loosen the main frame from the floor so it can slide back a bit...then take out the 3 M2 screws and the 2 M2.5 screws from the tail rotor side of the tail box...remove rotating assembly. (Belt will come free once the shaft is released from the bearing on the other side)
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:03 AM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Okay, so pop the control rod off, remove screws and the whole right side assembly will come off. Fantastic! Heli Artist sent me a link to their forums site that shows the assembly instructions. Pictures help a lot.

I guess I'm going to have to buy skids, tail supports, tail fin, and all new blades. Can you think of anything else that came off this heli when the body kit went on?

Thanks,
Jay
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:48 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,808 Posts
No idea...dont own one. Just giving a quick "how to" tip
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:22 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Aha! I got it apart. Now comes the fun part. Building it back up. Turns out Align 500 parts are not very common here in Indy. May have to mail order most of it.