Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:20 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
595 Posts
Discussion
So. Cal Classic Pattern Get-Together

Howdy All,

How many of you So. Cal. (or further away if you care to come) classic pattern enthusiasts would like to gather at a to be chosen spot and have an informal "get-together" or "fly-in"? A time to get familiar with other pilots, share war stories and information, and enjoy the best kind of R/C airplanes in the universe.

If there is sufficient interest, I am willing to approach the board at my club (Channel Islands Condors- Camarillo, Ca.) to get a date on the calendar. I have spoken with them about this last year, and they were not opposed to such a thing.

Or it could happen somewhere else. Who cares, as long as it happens?

I am not proposing an actual contest, but something low-key. If the results were to be worth the effort, then maybe hosting a contest would not be out of the question.

SPA-BPA-CPA-ELECTRIC-WHATEVER ALL WELCOME. You could even just run around flapping your arms and make airplane noises. That would not be the first time
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:26 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
I am all over it, Robert.
A few interested parties I can think of...
EDH in AZ and maybe a couple of the SD guys, another guy in Newport/Corona del Mar might see this and get interested too. I know Frequent Flyer would be interested.
Possibly two father/son groups from our club with Kaos ARF's.
I'm sorry you and I haven't been able get together yet. Hopefully soon, life seems a little too busy lately.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jan 08, 2011, 01:33 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
456 Posts
That sounds great! Barring some catastrophe I should be able to get away for a weekend, I think I have enough 'me-time' built up. Hopefully by the time you can put something together I will have learned to complete a whole novice sequence that resembles something more than servo failure.
Eric
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:18 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
That sounds great! Barring some catastrophe I should be able to get away for a weekend, I think I have enough 'me-time' built up. Hopefully by the time you can put something together I will have learned to complete a whole novice sequence that resembles something more than servo failure.
Eric

That's funny, Eric! Your piped Kaos is simply awesome looking.
Chris...
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:35 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
595 Posts
Very good, I will get the process started, and keep eveyone posted. Meanwhile, spread the word, and let's generate interest. The goal here is for this to lead to bigger and better down the road.

-Robert
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:37 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
I am all over it, Robert.
A few interested parties I can think of...
EDH in AZ and maybe a couple of the SD guys, another guy in Newport/Corona del Mar might see this and get interested too. I know Frequent Flyer would be interested.
Possibly two father/son groups from our club with Kaos ARF's.
I'm sorry you and I haven't been able get together yet. Hopefully soon, life seems a little too busy lately.
Chris...
Chris,
We will finally meet in person! May this be the start of greater things.
-Robert
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:23 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,055 Posts
Might be in on this and maybe a friend who has a few old Birdies and such.

I have never flow in a pattern contest but do have a O.K. Supra Fly and would like to get more involved in basic pattern practice.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:59 AM
Joined Oct 2010
36 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me. 1 day or 2 day event? I have a Phoenix 8 coming of the boards and just received plans for a Mach 1. Nothing better than a Rossi on the pipe. My home field has a noise problem as well as not enough airspace for a full boogie piped ship with retracts. It would be really cool to get a contest or 2 happening. Socal used to be the hotbed of pattern and Q500.What happened??

Keep it on the pipe,

LT
finshlinerc is offline Find More Posts by finshlinerc
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:29 PM
San Diego Calif.
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
I would load up the old Dirty Birdy and XLT to go to that.
70's Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 70's Flyer
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
I put in 6 flights on Friday, a breathless, 75 degree day. That makes the 6th gallon of fuel through the little OS 46 and the Kaos has gotten some new ball joint rod ends on the controls and it really tightened them up. Much better lock in, what a difference.
Anyone else flying Classics over the weekend?
Chris...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:35 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
456 Posts
Didn't make it out this weekend but went out on MLK Day last week. Got 4 tanks in on the Kaos before the Snowbirds got off their chairs. I'm sure they're sick of me doing the same thing over and over. Wish someone out there could help me but there is no old pattern guys. I'm not sure about altitude, box size etc.

I did get some work done on the Tipo. Got the servo wells installed in the wings, rigging the ailerons now. With the wing on I was able to get the pipe mounted-up. I then realized there was nothing keeping me from firing this thing up! So I air'd up the gear put fuel in it and I no longer have a "new in box" ST60x. This is my first pumped motor and first vented tank. It runs but I'm going to need some help tuning this. That's for another thread.
Eric
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:08 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
Cool, Eric.
I'm going out again tomorrow and hopefully Thursday too.
I didn't really have a handle on Classic Pattern until I went to a contest. I think for those of us that haven't a coach or flying partner that does it, the Classic Pattern get together will be of huge benefit.

If you haven't done so, the Senior Pattern Association website has a really nice selection of maneuver descriptions associated with each level of pattern. I've been flying the Novice SPA Pattern and adding a few more maneuvers here and there as time permits. Each of the Classic contests last year had Novice SPA as their pattern for the judged event. I called for a pilot in BPA Masters and that was very helpful to me, too. There isn't really a box for Classic, it's more a centered area in front of the judges and a height and depth of the flying area that is used.

I have flown some of the current AMA Novice Pattern with the Kaos and it's not impossible to do within the box, it just gets real busy and reminds me of when I flew full size acro in competition. The difference being I know what I'm doing in full size airplanes and R/C is all new to me, some maneuvers didn't look so hot!

Sure hope we can get a bunch of guys together on this.

Chris...
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:34 PM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
595 Posts
Howdy,
I have put forth a proposal to the PTB at my club regarding an informal get-together. I will post more info after I hear back from them.

-Robert
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:50 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,293 Posts
Great Robert!
Chris...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:13 AM
moreno valley california
Joined Jun 2008
279 Posts
hmmm. could be fun. i have a gp revolver which is a sort of imac looking 1.20 sized airplane, but not scale. i would be interested and i think one of my buddies would be also. lots of fond memories of camarillo from the 90s when the condors hosted the goldberg imac events. and gotta bring the helis too.
koppterX is offline Find More Posts by koppterX