SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:35 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Question
First Plane - HZ Champ or HZ Mini Super Cub?

Greetings from northern Nevada!

After spending a ridiculous amount of time over the past several days researching the topic, yesterday I asked my LHS to place an order for a HZ Champ.

Then, last night, I discovered the HZ Mini Super Cub. I like the fact that it's slightly bigger and ships with an AC/DC charger, yet is only $10 more than the Champ. It doesn't seem to have the following of the Champ, but it appears to be a pretty good choice for a first plane. I doubt I'll do much in the way of mods outside of perhaps a larger battery and larger wheels.

I'm almost 52 and have never flown RC planes before. If I enjoy flying as much as I think I will, I'll likely someday graduate to a larger 4-channel ARF trainer, join a club and learn from an instructor.

My LHS won't place the order until Monday so I'd very much appreciate any opinions.

Many thanks in advance!
NVFlyAngler is offline Find More Posts by NVFlyAngler
Last edited by NVFlyAngler; Jan 07, 2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:47 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Dec 2010
85 Posts
If you learn to Fly the Champ, or SC you should not need an instructor to advance. I got the Champ as my first plane and its super easy once you learn what does what. Throttle, up, down, left , right.. cake..
I recommend Champ based on my experience with it.
zaskarx is offline Find More Posts by zaskarx
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:41 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I think the champ will be more survivable, if you are starting from scratch that's the most important attribute (after cost).

The mini- SC does seem to be more airplane for the buck (100 for a 21-inch wing RTF is pretty good in my book), and looks like it has more power. That probably translates into a higher stall-speed and more space required to learn.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:49 PM
what goes up...
Alton Iowa
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
I think you'd be better off spending a few more bucks and getting the HZ SuperCub and not the mini.

The larger airplane will be easier to see and orient and will take more punishment.

I'm 52 and began teaching myself to fly 3 or 4 years ago.

I started with the Multiplex Easy Star which is a nice large and slow airplane and even then it gets far away very fast. I lost one due to losiing track of its orientation and it flew off opposite the direction I thought it was going in.

I bought another one and after flying that for a year moved up to the HZ SuperCub.

If your 50 year old eyes are anything like mine (and I sincerely hope they're not!) you will be glad you went for a larger airframe.

Plus, the larger airplane is just inherently more stable in the air and can handle higher winds than the smaller planes.
Being able to higher winds will automatically give you more opportunity to fly.

I was told by guy at LHS that the HZ mini is really meant for indoor flying.

just my 2 cents
ezrydr is offline Find More Posts by ezrydr
Last edited by ezrydr; Jan 07, 2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added more info
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
The champ is great outdoors, smooth air to 5mph is no sweat, and once you are fast on the sticks gusts to 15 are survivable (but it is just that-survival), if the miniSC is really an indoor plane that doesn't really speak well of it.

What the champ has going for it is you can stay close and slow, tougher with a big plane.

If you have the room, the bigger plane does have advantages, but I'd still give the champ the win for durability.

Dave
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:22 PM
what goes up...
Alton Iowa
Joined Aug 2006
423 Posts
Dave
I think the LHS classified the mini SC as indoors because here in the Midwest if you have to wait for a 5mph or less day you'll never fly!
ezrydr is offline Find More Posts by ezrydr
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:29 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
The Champ hands down. No need for a flying field, your yard or street will do.
And it weighs nothing so most boinks are just pick it up and launch again.
I got one a couple of weeks ago, and having such a blast with it, my other birds are just collecting dust.
Start out in low winds and as you get the hang of it, start flying it in progressively higher winds. Last time out was 13 with gusts in the 20's. Could just hang her in the air motionless, or go WOT and she'd fight her way forward. Made a game of it, hover for a bit, half loop and rocket down the field, then fight my way back.

The Cub is fine if you have the space. And yes heavier is better in windy conditions.
It is a great bird. But like any bird, bigger you get and faster they fly the higher the damage when something goes wrong.

Heck I look at it this way, if you can learn to fly a lightweight in wind, stepping up to a bigger bird is going to be a piece of cake. I regularly fly a Slow Stick in high winds, it really makes you work at flying, but builds your skills and confidence levels.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:45 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
i reccomend the champ. small and can fly it almost anywhere. the mini super cub had trash electronics, and the big one is more expensive and need more room. the champ is a great way to test the waters so to speak and is cheap, but with amazing gear and a great airplane.
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:48 PM
USA, MS, Picayune
Joined Jan 2011
73 Posts
My first plane was the mini super cub. I flew it at the local soccer field but was nervous about flying it in my front yard where hurricane Katrina cleared out a small natural flying field in my front yard. So a few months ago I purchased the Champ which has given me lots of enjoyment right in my own front yard. While I love them both, the Champ comes up as the winner simply because I can just walk out the door and fly it.
tonytiger20 is offline Find More Posts by tonytiger20
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger20 View Post
My first plane was the mini super cub. I flew it at the local soccer field but was nervous about flying it in my front yard where hurricane Katrina cleared out a small natural flying field in my front yard. So a few months ago I purchased the Champ which has given me lots of enjoyment right in my own front yard. While I love them both, the Champ comes up as the winner simply because I can just walk out the door and fly it.
If you have more opportunities to fly, you will get better faster because stick time is more important than what the stick time is on, as long as it's an appropriate flyer.

Dave
Old Jan 07, 2011, 03:58 PM
Andover, Ks.
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts
I'm 40 and started two weeks ago. I had the big SC first and got the Champ.

Get the Champ.
KSJeff is offline Find More Posts by KSJeff
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJeff View Post
I'm 40 and started two weeks ago. I had the big SC first and got the Champ.

Get the Champ.
Is the big SC just fun to fly? I'd like a bigger cheap bird.

Dave
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:30 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
I'm 60 and bought both the Champ and the Easy Star.

I'm sorry I bought the Easy Star but extremely happy I bought the Champ.
I tried to sell my Easy Star at the local club... no interest.
Lots of experienced guys have bought Champs.
Here is why I like the Champ:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=8
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:38 PM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Dec 2008
2,531 Posts
the champ is cheaper than the super cub by like a lot. if you plan on staying for a while after the champ, buy a dx6i and get the bnf version of the super cub after you have flown the champ for a bit
flashkick is offline Find More Posts by flashkick
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:50 PM
Andover, Ks.
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Is the big SC just fun to fly? I'd like a bigger cheap bird.

Dave
I beat it up pretty badly before I got the Champ and learned not to panic all the time. It's covered in epoxy and waiting for a less windy day right now.

So, I don't know.
KSJeff is offline Find More Posts by KSJeff