HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:49 AM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
I have already designed a set of boards for a professional ROV with auto heading, depth, and sonar capabilities. This type of ROV I wish to be cheap enough for hobbiests and proffesionals alike. The ROV will be of similar size and specs to the Seaeye Falcon ROV. I also in the next 6 weeks will be bringing out a new mini For hobby people and proffesionals alike at also a cheap rate ( about half the price of others available). I will be similar to the Video Ray ROV and made of alluminium with proper umbilical and cannectors.
rovasia is offline Find More Posts by rovasia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:54 AM
R.O.V. Man
Devon UK
Joined Jan 2006
351 Posts
Hi
Gordon set me a PM.
And yes they are fully compatible with Mk1 boards.

On the Question on adding bottomside data. I have used a Atmel Atmega8 and a OSD unit from sparkfun. This reads the Depth, Compass And Tilt and Roll and displays it on the video screen. The board is in the RoV and is very small in size. Used Bascom to program it. Link here . Bascom Its a free download.
This is were I got my OSD from text Cool Components UK based.
Tilt and roll are sensors from Wii controller(nunchuk).

Regards Antony(UK)
hargard is offline Find More Posts by hargard
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Sorry for not answering your question correctly

Yes they are 100% compatable and the bottom side boards as a set are available at rov-asia.com on the bottom of the page.

Take care.

Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:28 AM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Here is the manual for the boards, sorry it is in two files but I can only upload 3 Mb maximum,

Take care.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:26 AM
R.O.V. Man
Devon UK
Joined Jan 2006
351 Posts
Hi Gordon.
I gotta say I am impressed with the instructions..Very clear and precise.
Almost wants me to ditch my mk1 version of the boards and get a new set

Looks like they are selling like hot cakes on E-bay

Regards Antony(UK)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
The new boards

Yes the instrucvtions are clear and yes they are selling well,

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 08:27 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
I agree with Antony, very good. Reading the instructions it appears like a plug and play, no need for skills in electronic/programming, no risk to buy wrong parts... by the way, Gordon, any suggestions for brushless/esc ?
Regards
Claudio
Italy
Clauam is offline Find More Posts by Clauam
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
Reply from rov-asia

I am designing two ROV's just now one is a small ROV similar to the Video ray at half the price and one that is the same size as the Tiger with auto heading and depth and should be approximatly US$ 15,000 to 25,000. However price is still in the making. Also I have boards that can be used to drive 1 KW motors and can drive a medium size ROV at 5 knts. This will also include autoheading. I am currently making overlay boards that will cost approx US$ 26-27 including shipping.

Take care,

G. Duncan
rov-asia.com
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
The boards that can drive a brushed motor can be available at US$50 each and can drive a motor 1KW electrical power.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:12 AM
R.O.V. Man
Devon UK
Joined Jan 2006
351 Posts
Hi
Cheap ESC's on E-Bay
Item number: 280581347625 25A
Item number: 270655689192 35A
Item number: 260714107815 25A
Item number: 260717660087 25A
Just a few listed
Lots out there.
Regards Antony(UK)
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:28 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
communication between the receiver and transmitter

Do you have the description of the serial communication protocol between the receiver and transmitter? I am interested in a receiver board. Want to use as a transmitter but a notebook.

Greetings Holger
holgi03 is offline Find More Posts by holgi03
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
The transmitter and receiver use a current loop protocol that is a standard in the robotics industry. This protocol was used in previous years to send Fax and Telex mesages throughout the world over long distances. The units are not RS232, 485 etc and everything is controlled by electronics. This type of electronics is used because it can be used for years without fault. Software systems have faults and are likely to fail quickly in on =e or two years. The boards I supply can last 10 - 20 years without failure.
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:54 AM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovasia View Post

The transmitter can either be potentiometers or a 12V input joystick as used with commercial ROV's with center point adjustments and can easily be bought in RS. The joystick can have also the forward/rev, lateral left and right and also the turn left/right, two other pot will be needed for the lights and depth. Also required would be a joystick for the Pan and tilt for the cammera.
Do you have some tip to cheap joysticks? or what joysticks are the instructions based on?
fluxno is offline Find More Posts by fluxno
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:52 PM
blub blub blub...
Joined Feb 2011
1 Posts
Hi Gordon

Boards arrived in the mail today and look bloody great, going to be a busy weekend of stabbing myself with wires.

I'll keep some notes on how it all goes.

Ben
Stonefish is offline Find More Posts by Stonefish
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
19 Posts
I ordered the kit on ebay yesterday. i was amazed that the price had been lowered! i was considering buying two sets, but i probably need to focus on just one ROV project.

maybe we who have the kits could make a thread were we exchange links and ideas for parts that fit with the kit?

i found a site with real cheap pan/tilt system for camera: http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...oducts_id=1059

i'm working with internal pipe inspection systems, so i'll try to get a umbilical from one of our suppliers, it got a coax lead, 2x0.5mm2 and 4x0.25mm2 and neutral boyant. http://www.eca.fr/en/robotic-vehicle...eters-/292.htm

but i excpect this cable is quite expensive for a home project. so tips to umbilical would be great!

i'm also looking for suitable brushless motor. i was thinking of using ducted fans from rc planes as thrusters.
like these: http://www.lowpricerc.com/index.php?cPath=24
the motors i'm wondering to put in a small container and pressure compensate with rubber/silicone hose.(o-ring on axle)
i'm going to talk to the engineers at a common company about how they seal the axles on this: http://www.hxt.no/
i know the hull on hxt is oilfilled and pressure compensated.

for a hull i thought to use thick-wall pvc pipe. i think these are available in up to 8-10bar pressure rating.

i'm aiming for 50-100meter waterdepth.
fluxno is offline Find More Posts by fluxno