HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:50 AM
Joined Aug 2008
78 Posts
Discussion
Is the Midwest Harbour Master a good boat for a newbie like me?

Hi scale boaters

I'm a scale boat newbie but with experience with Fast Electrics boats and gassers. I have built and own several FE boats and a big gasser.

After reading several of the threads I would like to try a scale boat like the Midwest Harbour Master:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MIDWEST-THE-H...item19c23d6375

Love scale wooden boats but never got the courage to start one as I'm not sure about my skills and whether I have the necessary tools......

Is the Midwest Harbout Master a good boat for a newbie like me?

I can't seem to find much info on it on RCGroups...... Would like to start with that one as the price is reasonable and the seller is in Australia.....

Thanks a lot for your help and advice.
jerome888 is offline Find More Posts by jerome888
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:59 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,603 Posts
I would think that it's a good place to start.
Midwest instructions are pretty good. It is the kind of model that you can detail out too your tast.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:00 AM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,601 Posts
I've built several MidWest kits but not that one. As Gill said their direction booklet and full size drawings are very good as are the materials in the kit. One thing I've seen is you may want to upgrade the prop shaft and stuffing tube as the ones in the kit tend to be very noisy. It is not a snap together in an afternoon project though. You don't need a lot of fancy tools. I guess some XActo knives and assortment of sandpaper should get it done. Your skills will develope with time, practice, and patience. You can get all the help you need on this site, just ask. Also I assume you know MidWest no longer makes boat kits so if there is one you really want buy it now. Good luck and have fun. Let us know how it works out. (That means pictures.)
420TEE is online now Find More Posts by 420TEE
Last edited by 420TEE; Jan 07, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:03 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,677 Posts
The harbor master uses the same hull as the fantail launch. You can find at least one build thread on the fantail launch if you do a search on this forum. I would say that it would be a very good beginner's boat. The planking is simplified, using sheets rather than individual planks, except for the rounded stern, and the instructions are well illustrated.

If they suggest using the Midwest mechanical speed control (rheostat), you should replace that with an ESC such as those used in R/C cars, as this boat is relatively small and will not need a large motor.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:07 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
This hull is the same as the Midwest wooden "Fantail Launch" (not the later ABS hull)

The Fantail Launch hull is very straight forward to build and I would recommend it highly. Engineering, parts quality/fit and instuctions are exellent (typical of Midwest kits - Midwest will be missed in the industry)

'glassing is required on this hull but if you have no experience with that, do not be intimidated- it is not difficult to do.

Looks like a nice boat- Go for it!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:14 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,775 Posts
The guys in our club were really bummed when Midwest discontinued all their boat kits. We recommended them all the time to new modelers. IMHO You won't find a better instruction set with any kit, and their materials were good quality. With a little patience and effort you should have no trouble with this kit. Questions do inevitably pop up and that is what this forum is for.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Aug 2008
78 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just put an ebay watch on that item.

Is there any reason why this kit was discontinued? Must be an old stock that the seller is selling on Ebay..... Does it matter if its an old stock? like dried wood or weak plastic...?

Here are a couple of boats that I built. However when it comes to wood I lack the confidence......
jerome888 is offline Find More Posts by jerome888
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:20 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,090 Posts
Who knows why it was discontinued? a bigger question might be why did Midwest get out of the business entirely? (I know, business is business- probably not profitable enough)

If the boat was stored well, the wood should be OK... this kit isn't that old.

looks like you do clean work- you'll have no problem with a boat like the "harbor master"
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:59 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
713 Posts
You might also try a Springer. A very popular boat, as indicated by the nearly 8300 posts on the subject. Springers are typically built in wood, and with a flat bottom the construction is simple. Basic plans and instructions can be found on our Northwest R/C Ship Modelers page,
http://web.me.com/hookpilot/North_We...ger_Class.html
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:42 PM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
807 Posts
i started building with the midwest lobster boat best kits and best directions i have ever done. i just built a fantail launch for an easy relaxing build
bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:00 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,561 Posts
Here's a build thread for the wooden fantail launch:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331769
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350