Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:55 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Help!
Heli Artist scale fuselage removal help needed.

A good friend pretty much gave me a Hobby King HK500CMT with the Heli Artist A109 scale body kit installed. This body is such a thing of beauty I couldn't live with myself if I balled it up. Plus I may need to do some repairs to the heli. So I need to remove the body and buy some Trex skids. I had thought the body split down the center, but no dice. The tail cone is a solid piece. Do you have to take the whole tail rotor assy apart to get the body off?!?! I need some real help. I built a Dragonus thanks to the online help of HeliBob, but this looks really scary. Can anyone lend a hand?

Thanks,
Jay

P.S. I looked at the Heli Artist web site looking for downloadable instructions. No luck, so I emailed them for help as well. Not holding my breath.
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:01 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,957 Posts
For most scale bodies, you need to disassemble the tail unit and then you can slip the mechanics out through the front. You can probably check the Scale Heli forum and get specific advice on this particular body.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:12 PM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Unless you can loosen the boom block and get in there to pop the belt and remove the tail unit, you have to disassemble it to the point where the fuse boom will clear.
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:44 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Why not ask your friend who gave you the heli? I am sure your friend will be glad to do it for you.

If you must do it yourself .....

1) take the main blades off - so you have more room to work around.
2) Disassemble the tail rotor system (the tail rotor and slider can be untouched), remove the tail shaft.
3) look for mounting points of the air frame to fuselage base former (at least 4). Unscrew or remove the screws.
4) look for any attachment from upper frame to upper fuselage (good solid fuselage mount will have something there to prevent vibration.)
5) if retract gear/wheels are installed, unplug or remove the servo(s).
6) slide the airframe out from front.

Now, you will have to get T500 skids, vertical tail fin and whatever needed to get it to pod/boom config.

IMO, I would keep it the way it is. Get more airtime on pod/boom, then enjoy the scale A109 later on.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:35 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
Why not ask your friend who gave you the heli? I am sure your friend will be glad to do it for you.

If you must do it yourself .....

1) take the main blades off - so you have more room to work around.
2) Disassemble the tail rotor system (the tail rotor and slider can be untouched), remove the tail shaft.
3) look for mounting points of the air frame to fuselage base former (at least 4). Unscrew or remove the screws.
4) look for any attachment from upper frame to upper fuselage (good solid fuselage mount will have something there to prevent vibration.)
5) if retract gear/wheels are installed, unplug or remove the servo(s).
6) slide the airframe out from front.

Now, you will have to get T500 skids, vertical tail fin and whatever needed to get it to pod/boom config.

IMO, I would keep it the way it is. Get more airtime on pod/boom, then enjoy the scale A109 later on.

I wish I had more heli help. The guy that gave it to me bought it as part of a lot sale online. It's been crashed, no blades, so I need to give it a once over anyway. You cannot see anything while it's in this shell of a body. I've only built one heli and never had to "unbuild" or rebuild a crash yet. Not bragging, just very carefull not to fly beyond my limits. Thanks for the tips.
Jay
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep