SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 06, 2011, 04:00 PM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,466 Posts
Discussion
Wemotec Midi vs Stumax 90 - Sound Comparison

Many readers may know how good the Stumax fans sound, and how well the Wemotec Midifan Pro performs.

I have two on-board videos from my first and second Starmax F-16 90mm models with each of the fans. Thought I'd put the vids together as a comparison. I don't have enough flights on the Stumax fan (or appropriate test gear) to do any empirical performance comparisons, but the sound speaks for itself. From the little experience I have with the Stumax, it seems to perform very nicely too

Hope to get more video/audio from the observer perspective as I get more flights under my belt.

Cheers,

Dan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDGQ5th_cQw
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dro56595@bigpo; Jan 06, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 04:51 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,653 Posts
Cool,
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:05 PM
Southern Illinois
Joined Nov 2009
44 Posts
Big Time Difference.

Look forward to the performance data.
heyop is offline Find More Posts by heyop
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:42 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,307 Posts
sounds put aside. whats the performance difference?
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jan 06, 2011, 06:52 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
The second one sounds excellent,it almost sounds like a real jet! The first one sounded like any other EDF I have heard where you can hear the motor more than the fan.
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
sounds put aside. whats the performance difference?
I have only one flight with the Stumax and only 10 seconds or so at WOT,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=717

, but quite a few flights with the Wemo/ARC combo (F-16 & F-18 with this setup) so it's difficult (and probably unfair) to make a credible comparison on performance at this point.

However, my initial impression is that I won't be dissappointed with the Stumax. At half throttle or less The F-16 was moving along just fine.

Wish I could give you better data. Check out Extreme RC's website (EDF Combos) for some great static test data on both.

Cheers,

Dan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:49 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,653 Posts
I have a Stumax 90mm on order..4 to 6 weeks for delivery..bummer..Oh well, it will give me time to build a plane for it..Ooooo, now what shall it be...
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,466 Posts
My Starmax 90mm F-16 is not a good choice, I just had one in a box and they are a quick build. The inlet ducting is badly constricted and it has cheater holes in the side just forward of the fan. No matter what you put in it, the fan was going to struggle.

I just couldn't wait to try the fan in the nicely ducted JTM T-45 I actually bought for the Stumax.

I needed a quickie fix
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:10 AM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,635 Posts
Good work Dan! That Stumax is amazing!!
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Jan 07, 2011, 02:41 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Hi Dan, it would be great to come up with some accurate figures to compare these two power units in identical models. I wouldn't care less if the model sounds like Wartburg or Trabant, the performance is what matters, bring them up to Coffs so we can fly them together in formation, Ciao Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Jan 07, 2011, 02:54 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Hi Dan, it would be great to come up with some accurate figures to compare these two power units in identical models. I wouldn't care less if the model sounds like Wartburg or Trabant, the performance is what matters, bring them up to Coffs so we can fly them together in formation, Ciao Joe.
Sorry Joe, I'm not in a position to do that. My first F-16 died a horrible death, but I did get that video for comparison.

And if you're after pure performance, you'd stick with Wemotec for the price. The extra bucks are for the sound.

Some people enjoy a model that just looks and sounds good with reasonable performance. Others aren't happy until their dart goes by so fast it's a loud blur. Each to his own.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:12 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
I agree Dan, but if anyone like the sound of jet he should go for jet turbines, EDF's will always sound like EDF, even when we pretend it sounds like jet turbine, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:59 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,466 Posts
Thanks for the insight Joe. Amazing. Perhaps we should fly real airplanes too, we're all just pretending otherwise - extrapolating your logic.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:06 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
I agree Dan, but if anyone like the sound of jet he should go for jet turbines, EDF's will always sound like EDF, even when we pretend it sounds like jet turbine, Joe.
Respectfully disagree Joe. The sound of EDFs has improved tremendously, good examples being Stu's fans and the Dynamax conversions. Some guys, for many reasons, don't want to go to turbines, and for them, there are now some good EDF options on the market, and still coming on the market. As was said, to each his own.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Max View Post
The second one sounds excellent,it almost sounds like a real jet! The first one sounded like any other EDF I have heard where you can hear the motor more than the fan.
Hear the motor more than the fan? Every brushless motor I've ever ran up on it's own is much more quiet than any motor/fan combo. The difference in the fans is the factor between the two sounds, if anything you'd be able to hear the motor better in the quieter of the two power systems...
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0