I want my blinky!
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:30 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
You guys are too far away, and I'm too lazy to drive anywhere. I just got done flying a bunch of planes for my neighbors. I started with my 80mph F-15, which promptly brought all of the neighbor kids AND four different families to watch.

In all, I flew 7 packs on three different planes, ending with some night flying. What a great day.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:55 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Dude- I'm in Lehi- Jim's in Alpine.
Too far away? lame
Great night for night flying.
Still got some trimming to do but got it close enough to fly well by the third battery pack.
I'm off Friday, if the weatherman is wrong and we end up with a decent day I may be good for Vineyard
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:20 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Dude- I'm in Lehi
So am I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Too far away?
Yup, if you're not on my street, you were too far away.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
I am glad that I am not the only one who does neighborhood flying. My neighbors loved it last summer when I would night fly and all I had then was an ultra micro cub with navi lights. I can't wait to surprise them with my widowmaker and cessna. Mid way through the summer we would set up fans and misters to keep folks cool and some would even just lay in the grass and look up cause their necks would hurt.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:11 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
We have a good sized vacant lot on the edge of our neighborhood that is perfect for night flying. We fly our slo stix there and either land in the street or in the tall grass. I don't fly my wings over there (ok I have once ) The neighbors all know that we fly and web get a lot of people just stopping to watch for a while before they drive on
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:42 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
Just got a few of these in. You guys have seen me flying with them before. I can tell already I didn't order enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwQXQeVLBeY
What is the range on the little remote thingy? Can you change while in the air?
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
I think it's range is around 5-10 feet so..... some people can change it in the air.

Your a smart guy Telemachus, what are the chances of getting this thing to change light effects from a radio channel?
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Actually, very do-able. Only, the remote control unit would have to be MOUNTED on the plane and dissected, so that the buttons could be accessed. A micro controller would read the PPM signal from the receiver, and activate the button when a switch or knob is turned. Each button would require a different channel, or if the code is done correctly, one channel could probably do two buttons on separate extremes of a knob.

How many buttons do you think would be needed to get the affect you want in air?

Also, is it just one set channel, or are there several? ie: Does the same remote work on EVERY LED controller you have, or can you somehow change the IR "channel" that it uses so that you don't turn off other's in the air?
Last edited by Telemachus; Mar 24, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:22 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
Ryan I NEED one of those.

I have a completely different idea for hacking it. I'd switch to a little zigbee radio (I have one) and driving an IR "bug" on the other end.

I'd just use the same remote and velcro it to the back of my radio.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:29 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
There are 4 or 5 buttons that I use. All the remotes are on the same IR freq.

The things are pretty neat but would be really neat if you could access the different effects from the air.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:34 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
Darren,
With your method would it affect all the planes that are flying with these things? If so, that would be really cool. You could back everyone out and then turn on all at the same time making our planes look like they are all linked. 5 to 10 planes strobing would be really cool!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:38 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,692 Posts
No, unless I made a bunch of little "bugs" to fit on the other planes in the area.

The IR bug is just a little device with an RF receiver and a little IR LED sitting right in front of the IR receiver on the plane.

One thing you could do for greater range and to affect everything is to get a bunch of high-bright infra-red LED's and just wire them right into the Tx.

That would be really simple.... maybe I'll try that first and see how far I can get.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:09 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Would be nice if the thing just plugged into extra channels of the receiver and read the signal from the radio... Then you could to it all from the radio itself. Strange that they went with such low range IR...
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Anybody up for an Art Dye night fly? I may head over now and get a few P51 flights in before the sun sets. I've been cooped up all week with no flying, I'm going bananas.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member