Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2001, 01:06 PM
San Fransisco,Ca,Usa
Joined Aug 2001
86 Posts
Mini-Max lives!

My girlfriend got me a mini-max a week ago and I love her-both of them. I have flown and crashed 4 balsa kit planes and got really sick of tearing off covering to fix them(I'm a newbie and crash alot). Enter the mini-max built her in 3-4 hours total, $34 w/ motor gearbox prop what a deal. Walked the 3 block to my park and kept her up for 5 min, then the usual crash. No big deal just have to glue the motor mount back on and get some #4 3/4" pan head screws-I'm in the air the next day. On this day I fly for another 5 min and then watch the wing fold at 30' and plummet to good ol Earth.
So now is where ezone comes in- I searched the mini-max posts and found a pluthera(sp) of good info. Thanks guys. I glued cf that I split out of arrow shafts on the LE and epoxyed the wing section together-the instruction have you use 2 sided tape which blows- and took off the landing gear and glued(epoxyed) half of a arrow shaft on the bottom of the fuse. Hope I'm not to heavy now.
As a new guy I have to say that the min-max is a good plane to learn on.
Thomas vogel is offline Find More Posts by Thomas vogel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2001, 03:38 PM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
I never trusted the 2 sided tape idea from the start. I epoxyed everything up, probably making it a bit heavier but have had 39 good flights with it now.

I'm not a newbie to electrics but this is my first "slow fly" plane and I think it's great. This is the first plane I've been able to fly in my backyard without the trees eating it... so far hehheh

Just curiious, what battery pack do you use? I use 6x650 mah NIMH and 7x650 NIMH and get somewhere between 15 to 30 min depending on my flying.

Kevin.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Oct 10, 2001, 05:59 PM
pushing both extremes
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
My favorite battery for the Mini-Max is a 7 cell 370 mAh pack. The side by side flat pack fits nicely inside the little slot (had to tuck mine right up against the motor mount to get good balance). I get about 20 min flights. My AUW is a tad less than 9.5 oz, which is a bit heavy due to the 8 channel Rx I'm using and my overkill anti-wing folding structural support (OAWFSS). :-)

Here are two tips I have discovered for this plane. They are probably applicable to others slowflyers as well.

Get a speed control with a brake. I had a GFS in there, but recently moved that over to a hotter plane, and replaced it with a GWS 5 amp ESC w/ brake. I got this because theoretically the windmilling prop adds drag when you want to power off and glide around a bit. I was amazed at how much of a difference that makes.

I didn't like the antenna hanging out the back, so I got a few M72 antennas from www.azarr.com for my planes. These are very light little antennas which have excellent performance. Range testing showed nearly the same range (few feet less) than the standard wire antenna hanging in an "L" configuration which is what I usually have in flight (20" in fuse, 20" hanging down). I could increase the range of the stock antenna if I held it out straight to its full length, but the Mini- Max flies so slowly that almost never happens in flight. Last weekend I happened to find a thermal and got the plane so high that I had a hard time seeing what it was doing, but I appeared to have good control in all orientations, and our flying field was quite crowded with other planes in the air. What a great flight. I highly recommend these antennas. You can find more info on them by searching this forum (which is how I found out about them). One last thing. Azarr has great customer support. When I was installing my first one, I had some problems and emailed him for help. He had some good advice and offered a full refund if I could not solve the problems. I figured everything out, but it is still nice to have such good support which ensured this customer's satisfaction. Thumbs up to Azarr and the great little M72.

Zoom quietly slides soapbox back under desk.

- Zoom -
Zoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoom
Old Oct 11, 2001, 07:12 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Great to hear your success. I too had to make a few mods to make mine more crash-proof. See my www link for mine...

It's not as slow as my LiteStik, but can do alot more with the extra power. Had mine 'flying' inverted the other night, using the term flying very loosely. I got a maximum of 2-3 seconds before I had to pull out due to the ground proximity!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 20, 2001, 08:34 PM
San Fransisco,Ca,Usa
Joined Aug 2001
86 Posts
Hey guys sorry i took so long to get back here.
My mini-max may not live any more-I can't get it to climb at all( it never did well and has a nasty left side tip stall) and now with all the glue and cf? I am useing a 7.2v 650mah nimh and a 8.4 600 mah nimh - i couldn't tell much differince tween the two. any ways I put in a regular( no flat sides and from great planes) 280 w/ 4to 1 gearbox and a 10-4.7 prop and she took off- but i put her in andbroke the prop and am currently waiting for two new ones at the lhs.
my question would be will this new setup really pullit around- I WANT SOME TRUE VERTICAL PREFORMANCE HERE MAN! just kidding but a deacent climb would be nice.
Old Oct 21, 2001, 11:35 AM
Plane hugging cat
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Thomas, has yours become heavy from the repairs? Cos my Max climbs steeply with 7 cells (8.4 volts). I suspect with 8 cells it would go vertical. I'm waiting for the original motor to die so I can try my 280BB in place of it. At 64 flights averaging 15 - 20 minutes though it's not giving in.
Old Oct 21, 2001, 02:37 PM
Joined Oct 2001
34 Posts
Well i just bought one of these, not sure if it'll fly with the added weight of my hitec-81 servos. Ill be using a 7 cell 550minh pack.
briefcase is offline Find More Posts by briefcase
Old Oct 21, 2001, 07:15 PM
Plane hugging cat
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Briefcase, if the hs-81 servos are 18 gram minis I believe the Mini Max will fly with them (if you can fit them under the wings) with a performance loss. The Max is no wimp, it will fly with the extra weight. Be sure to beef up the wing though.
Old Oct 21, 2001, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2001
34 Posts
They are 16.5g servos, no loops for me.

How do you guys strenghthen the wings? Would fishing line running from the bottom of the fuse to the middle of the wing help (the idea anyways)? Duct-tape? Or would a spar be the best bet?

Im also planning on using a 7 cell 550mah batt pack, what do you guys use, is my choice too heavy?
briefcase is offline Find More Posts by briefcase
Last edited by briefcase; Oct 21, 2001 at 08:15 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2001, 08:20 PM
Plane hugging cat
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
My kit came with 2 spars to tape along the leading edges but I epoxyed them instead. I think anything will help.

I fly with anything from 7x650mah nimh to 6x280mah nimh. The 6x280's for dead calm low slow flying and the 7x650's for power climbs and better penetration into the wind. Your pack will work fine.
Old Oct 21, 2001, 09:01 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
The 'stock' 1/8" bamboo will not hold up!

Get 1/8" carbon fiber rod and use it insted. Or use another 1/8" bamboo skewer behind the first.

Also, reinforce the fuse bottom the rest of the way.

Don't bother if you aren't going to loop or crash!

The simple answer: Use ProBond in place of double sided tape and epoxy, Use 'real' packing tape instead of decal sheet, Use c/f instead of bamboo, add bamboo and tape to fuse, don't crash.

See my www link below for some pics.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Last edited by Gene Bond; Oct 21, 2001 at 09:14 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 01:46 PM
San Fransisco,Ca,Usa
Joined Aug 2001
86 Posts
Apparently my mini-max will not break(not the fuse or the wing any way). I keep putting her in and it's allways easy fixes-except when the prop breaks(still waiting- one more day).
Can anyone tell me the differance between the motor that comes with the mini-max and my great planes 280- the GP 280 is slightly longer and has no flats. Also what effect will gearing down 1.85/1(or so) to 4/1 and the larger prop have. I know prop speed is going down but I've added 3"(10x4.7 vs 7x5.5) and thus have more efficancy, right?
Old Oct 22, 2001, 03:42 PM
Plane hugging cat
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
I wonder where I can get CF rod in Australia? Mmm, I'll try the LHS to see if they have kite bits.

Thomas, the other gearbox should work well I think but the big prop may hit the dirt. The landing gear is a bit short.

I'd like to know the differences in motor too. I have a 280 replacment lined up when my stock motor dies but the thing keeps on keeping on!
Old Oct 22, 2001, 10:47 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Tried flying my Mini Max in my Cul-de-Sac and the same Mini Max eating apple tree got it both flights! Upgraded battery to Radical RC 720mah Nimh 7 cell pack (4 over 3) which just fits the front space and after epoxying back on the motor and front bulkhead (didn't even damage the prop) Took it to the church yard across the street and it flies great! Bad case of sore thumbs made me quit so I still don't know flight times. More later......
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 23, 2001, 10:08 AM
Plane hugging cat
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Boomerace, so you have a Mini Max and a Tiger Moth? Which one do you like best?