HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by wolw, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:14 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
Build Log
Reichard MAXX FAI F5J /ALES /Hight Limited eSoaring /X5J eXtreme

I'm expecting ... A Reichard MAXX

I just got a reply from Modellsport Schweighofer regarding my question of color scheme, it would seem that Mr Reichard can supply custom color schemes. I'd prefer black underside and fluorescent signal orange wing top and tail. Just got it confirmed. order on it's way

I have a Reichard Svist before, beautiful, well built model.

I wanted a smaller ~2m E-glider for relaxing thermal flying from my back yard, the larger and faster models are more suited flying from my airfield. As I found out it will also be very competitive in the new ALES(US)/FAI F5J (proposal) classes. The rules (FAI F5J here) are similar with a max 30s motor run, motor cut off at 200m, 10 minute thermal and precision landing. I'm hoping for some "post" competitions.

Here are are a few tips from some California guys flying it.

Special Features:

Carbon fuselage ; carbon gondole and carbon tube
Foam core balsa sheeted two-piece wing
Made by CNC technology
Pre-made servo trays
Carbon wingjoiner
Fibreglass canopy
Pre-hinged ailerons
Oracover on wings and balsa tail parts
Tight covering, with all seams hand-sealed
Includes all necessary hardware

RC function:

Rudder, elevator, ailerons, flaps, motor

Technical Data :

Wingspan : 2000 mm
Length : : 1170 mm
Weight : : 340 g
Area : : 32,17 dm2
Airfoil : : AG 46-44

Setup:

Motor: Turnigy AerodriveXp SK Series 28-26 1350Kv for FAI F5J/ALES setup (2S) and Turnigy AerodriveXp SK Series 28-26 1000Kv for X5J eXtreme (3S). Performance numbers for 1000kv version (from Bungymania)
Servos: Aileron: Blue Arrow D05010MG 5.7g, 1.2 kg Digital Metal Gear, Flap: Vigor VS-12M 8.0g / 1.5kg / .14sec Ultra-Thin Servo, Elevator/Rudder: Blue Bird BMS-306DMAX Digital Micro Servo (Extra Strong) 1.6kg / .13sec / 7.1g
Rx: Corona Synthesized Dual-Conv Receiver 8Ch 35Mhz
LiPo: Turnigy 800mAh 2S 20C Long Lipo Pack or Turnigy nano-tech 1000mah 2S 25~50C (if it fit) and Turnigy nano-tech 850mah 3S 25~40C (if it fit)
ESC: Undecided
Spinner: Helmut Meyer (HM) Lightspinner 35mm
Prop: I'd like to use a Aero-Naut CAM 10x6, numbers from Drive Calc looks promising. Bench testing will decide.
UBEC: HXT UBEC 5/6v output, 5.5~23v Input
Logger/cut off switch: RC Altimeter #2 BASIC

wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Last edited by wolw; Feb 27, 2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Updates
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
Review (in spanish)

I found a review originally in spanish (translated with Google translate)
And a manual in English (sort of).

Peter
Last edited by wolw; Jan 13, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
Very nice Peter, I'll be watching with interest.
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:16 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
490 Posts
You may want to replace the horns on that model because the holes are drilled at a diameter of approximately 1.1mm while the pushrods are 0.8mm. That results in noticeable play. I've still got to find some suitable replacement horns for mine.
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:30 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll give the following a try;

A friend of mine that makes his own DLG's told me it's very simple to make your own CF horns. Just put CF cloth to the desired thickness (saturate each layer with epoxy) between two waxed glass plates, apply heavy weights on top. From the CF plate, cut horns of your own choice/design.

Peter
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:26 PM
Is it coming or going??
USA, CA, Capistrano Beach
Joined Dec 2008
333 Posts
Quote:
the holes are drilled at a diameter of approximately 1.1mm while the pushrods are 0.8mm
Some thick CA glue, just a drop on the pushrod where it goes through the control horn hole, very effectively fits the hole to the wire.

Let the CA cure, then gently move the pushrod to break the wire loose. The glue will stick to the C/F but not to the wire. Presto, no slop.
Woodbender is offline Find More Posts by Woodbender
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:33 AM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
MAXX first flight

I flew mine yesterday for the first time and came up with some data for climb performance.
The rate of climb was about 959 feet per minute, which is too low for ALES. (Need 1300f/m). I will be checking some different props today.

The setup is this:
Hacker A20-20L, Aeronaut 13X7 on a 2S ThunderPower 850mA 45C battery.
climb angle was approximately 70 degrees and power to glide transition was excellent.
I did add 10grams of lead under the front stabilizer mounting bolt to bring the balance point to 75mm.
I hope to be able to remove the lead when I change to a lighter battery and also change the motor from the old style Hacker to the newer EVO version which I believe will save a few grams at the front end.

More to come.

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:15 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
Thanks for your input, Iain

I'm hoping to be able to go without lead. Do you know the weight of your spinner ? I go with HM lightspinners by habit but I know they're light.

My MAXX is on its way

Peter
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:07 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
I think I'll be using a 6-pin Multiplex connector for aileron/flap servos (common ), if I can make the connector fit into the wing. Otherwise I'll be using 4-pin micro dean's (also common ).

Peter
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:33 AM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Maxx

Well! Good news and Bad news.
The good news is that I think I have achieved the climb rate I need, about 1400 feet/ min. I changed the prop to a Aeronaut 13X8.

The bad news its that the model suffered extensive damage from a crash of unknown cause a this time.

The front of the fuselage was demolished back to the boom, the battery was crushed, and even the RAM2 altimeter was damaged, but I was able to retrieve the climb data.

I contacted Alberto at Hobbyclub and he said he will be able to get me a new fuselage in about two weeks, so testing can resume.

Iain
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:38 AM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Spinner

Peter
The spinner I am using at the moment is not the final one I hope to use, and it is a little heavy for the purpose. I am having trouble getting the type I want, but it will be lighter than the one I have now. Also a lighter battery, a TP 850 2S 30C will replace the one destroyed in the crash. This should allow me to remove the 10g of lead from the rear.

Iain
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:59 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
490 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash Iain. I'm curious to know how the wings and the wing mount held out then.

I'm also curious as to what for servo's are being used by everyone. I read in some Spanish forum about D47's being used so I modified the servo tray to use them (I had 2 laying around) and leave more room for a bigger battery and other optional stuff. For the flaps I'm going to use the hopefully stronger Hitec HS-5045HB servos. The ailerons have D47's too.

Oh yes, and did you assemble the tail as in the photo?
cmanley_nl is offline Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Last edited by cmanley_nl; Jan 19, 2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:47 PM
Is it coming or going??
USA, CA, Capistrano Beach
Joined Dec 2008
333 Posts
Let's say the idea is to use the smallest (lightest) motor/battery/prop combination that will lift the Maxx to 200 meters in just under 30 seconds, (and no more). Let's call it the ALES version. Is there an ideal motor/battery/esc/prop/spinner power system for this narrow purpose?
Woodbender is offline Find More Posts by Woodbender
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:56 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbender View Post
Let's say the idea is to use the smallest (lightest) motor/battery/prop combination that will lift the Maxx to 200 meters in just under 30 seconds, (and no more). Let's call it the ALES version. Is there an ideal motor/battery/esc/prop/spinner power system for this narrow purpose?
It will be interesting to try different setup's, I have an assortment of props to try out. Drive calc doesn't have exactly the same motor as I got, mine's the "SK" version (with better magnets & bearings i.e. higher efficiency). 10x6 is the sweet spot efficiency wise but there's room for higher pitched props to get more speed.

I got my height limiter/logger yesterday morning from Martin Bell, UK. Amazing how he managed that, I ordered it Friday afternoon...
I also ordered a Talking timer, should make flying sessions easier and more fun.

Peter

Talking Timer video (2 min 13 sec)
Last edited by wolw; Jan 20, 2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Servos

I used HS-45HB servos for everything. It simplifies the system, and these seem to be a good combination of weight/size/ strength.
The combination I have of battery, motor , prop seems to be good if not optimum. When I get my replacement fuselage I will confirm the results.

The photographs of the horizontal stabilizer assembly are different to the way I did mine, but look a lot cleaner. The 'spacers' were too small to fit properly into the boom, so I dispensed with them and used a hardwood block mounted on the boom and threaded to take the bolts.

Iain