HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2003, 05:52 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Suggestions for ACE Simple Ultimate Bipe

OK, so I just bought an ACE R/C Simple Ultimate Bipe. Specified AUW with slimmer power is 28-34 oz (Holy Weight Watchers, Batman!). Other than the porkyness, this is a very nice kit and comes with a lot of accessories such as wheels, fuel tank, all pre-formed aluminum cabanes/landing gear and linkages, all hardware and control rods/clevis'. Price at my LHS was only US$45 - a bargain I couldn't pass up!
Planning to convert it to clean, quiet electric, of course! A drastic weight reduction is planned and with brushless power. I'd welcome any suggestions and hints besides "it's a flying boulder with wings, return it" or "use a Hacker B50XL and it should fly OK".
I have a MP-Jet 25/35-20 BL lying around, but I was also thinking about using an AXI 2808 or PJS 3D 1000. Thinking I'm going to need a minimum of 75 watts per pound. Any thoughts?
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Last edited by babblefish; Jul 25, 2003 at 06:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:39 AM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,181 Posts
for a 1 to 1 or close to it, I would go with the MPJet 2535/20 and a 10X6 . For verticle performance go with the Hacker B20 15L. Or wait for flight data on the new Himaxx bl motors. I am test flying this motor this weekend and should have some data by Sunday night. It is supposed to be in the Hacker B50 range but it only runs $79.00

Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:19 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Will either the Hacker or Himaxx require a gearbox? One of the reasons I considered using the AXI or PJS is because they will not need one. The MPJet I have laying around already. Hmm, 1:1 may not be too bad...vertical would be better though... At what AUW are you thinking for the MPJet 1:1?
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:20 PM
What crash???
Albuquerque, NM
Joined May 2003
179 Posts
I don't think you will get enough thrust without a gearbox honestly.
Alex W. is offline Find More Posts by Alex W.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 05:32 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex W.
I don't think you will get enough thrust without a gearbox honestly.
Thats why I was looking at the AXI and PJS because they are outrunner motors so do not need a gearbox. These motors can spin a large prop or a smaller high pitch prop with no problem. No gearbox noise, loses or maintenance - and they're lighter to boot
Old Jul 25, 2003, 06:41 PM
United States, MA, Chelmsford
Joined Jul 2000
3,445 Posts
I been flying the GWS warbirds with the MPI 25/35 on 8 cells and they move nicely and can get some vertical at begining of flight eith both the Spitfire and Me109. AUW around 17 oz. The bipe being more draggey(?) may need a little more power but you could run it on 3s3p lipo which may push it along pretty well. On aside I been using the AXI 2820/10 with my Tucano and now my scratch built 48"ws Spitfire wt = 3 1/2# with 3000 nimh and goes vertical easily. I really like the outrunners especially the AXI. I will follow your thread and see what you decide upon.
Ralph A. D'Amelio is offline Find More Posts by Ralph A. D'Amelio
Old Jul 26, 2003, 03:54 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Ralph,
Yes, I've been leaning toward the AXIs' because of their compactness and weight/power. I'm estimating an AUW of 30 oz for the Bipe so was looking for something that would give me at least 1:1 power-to-weight ratio.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:55 AM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
There might be something useful in this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=113210

I have the airframe done, but i haven't had time to finish it. I was able to shed some serious weight, and it doesn't seem to be at all flimsy.

Here is what I decided to do w/ the wings, seem strong with the strapping tape...which the plan/instructions suggest.

Hope this helps, and please post how yours turns out... .

Bob
mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:57 AM
New York Mills, MN
Joined Jan 2002
647 Posts
...another look-see...

mefly2 is offline Find More Posts by mefly2
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:22 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,337 Posts
Is that the ACE Ultimate Bipe? Nice job on the plane so far! When will it be ready to fly? Did you use the liteply fuselage sides? I am thinking about replacing those with balsa. I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress, but it's going to be slow because of other "must do's".

Oop! Just read the thread you posted; answered all my questions! Thanks! I think if I can lighten it up enough, my MPJet 2535 should be enough power for mild aerobatics.
Last edited by babblefish; Jul 27, 2003 at 08:33 AM.