SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by hobbykinglive, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:11 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Joined Jul 2010
277 Posts
Hi, I own a Kinetic 800 and am really happy with it overall. I had about 6 flights on it when it dipped below a tree line and I lost it (pilot error) - recovered from 30' in a tree. Some damage, but not bad considering the circumstances. Took the opportunity to shore it up - decided to permanently hot glue the wings in place and re-glued the nose (watch the angle). And that reminds me that one of the connectors to the engine broke - not too big a deal, re-soldered. Adjusted the elevator to give a very slight down in neutral position. Now, have another 7-8 flights w/450mAh batts - Great! This little guy tears up into the sky - can do rolls and loops on the way, then cut the engine and it glides nicely - still quick! I probably have a bit of extra weight in it now but this is a fun plane to fly and I'd say worth the money in spite of a little extra work.

-rcf
rcflyer40plus1 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer40plus1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:43 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
I gave up with kinetic 800 PNP. Ordered on two separate occasion, one got problem with the motor hence got a refund, the other one got malfunction servo so that one was refunded as well.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:21 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,281 Posts
Smacked my little K head on into a large light pole at speed.
Not much damage but the nose foam was pushed in and the spinner cracked.

However closer inspection revealed that the motor mount had melted and the foam inside the fuse was bubbled up through heat.
I'm using 500/3s but don't fly the thing all that hard.
Just short bursts of WOT and cruising at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

One aileron servo and the elevator servo were both stripped in the crash.
These darn servo are sooooo weak.
I have replaced them all with hxt500s. Bit of a squeeze but they do fit after some surgery. Worst part was getting the servo leads through the fuse. The aileron servos fitted straight in but sit about 3mm proud.

Next was the overheating problem. The nose was pretty bent after the crash and the plastic mount u/s due to the heat. I cut the foam short just in front of the canopy and fitted a ply firewall.
To this I have mounted a 1400kv inrunner that I had left over from a HK Texan.
It's actually a lot lighter than the original motor, especially without the folding prop.
This is fitted with a 7x6 APC prop on a prop saver.
I never glided the thing anyway.

Input power is about 100W and it will pull vertically up from my hand.

Looks ugly but at least it will be back in the air.

Haven't tried it out yet but it should be fun.

Anyone else have overheating problems?
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
Smacked my little K head on into a large light pole at speed.
Not much damage but the nose foam was pushed in and the spinner cracked.

However closer inspection revealed that the motor mount had melted and the foam inside the fuse was bubbled up through heat.
I'm using 500/3s but don't fly the thing all that hard.
Just short bursts of WOT and cruising at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

One aileron servo and the elevator servo were both stripped in the crash.
These darn servo are sooooo weak.
I have replaced them all with hxt500s. Bit of a squeeze but they do fit after some surgery. Worst part was getting the servo leads through the fuse. The aileron servos fitted straight in but sit about 3mm proud.

Next was the overheating problem. The nose was pretty bent after the crash and the plastic mount u/s due to the heat. I cut the foam short just in front of the canopy and fitted a ply firewall.
To this I have mounted a 1400kv inrunner that I had left over from a HK Texan.
It's actually a lot lighter than the original motor, especially without the folding prop.
This is fitted with a 7x6 APC prop on a prop saver.
I never glided the thing anyway.

Input power is about 100W and it will pull vertically up from my hand.

Looks ugly but at least it will be back in the air.

Haven't tried it out yet but it should be fun.

Anyone else have overheating problems?
I've stripped several of the servos too - are the "hxt500s" that much stronger?

It does run hot with a 3S, but I've run it without any overheating problems to date. The 3S is cool as it will fly vertical, but I'll be more careful in the future..
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine, yet. I fly pretty conservative on a 3s 800mah 20C battery. By conservative I mean I rarely use full throttle and I like to glide with no power quite often. I usually fly between 10-15 minutes at a time and hardly use half of the battery when I am done. The battery is a little warm, but the ESC seems a little hot because it doesn't get much airflow over it. I imagine things could get a little too warm if you are hotlining this plane on 3s for a long period of time.

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:20 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Joined Jul 2010
277 Posts
I noticed mine would get hot before "the big crash" and subsequent repair. In the process of the repair, I punched a hole in the side of the fuselage to get at the wire I had to pull out and re-solder. Once done, I fitted a plastic piece in there and hit with a little hot glue to..well..to make it look better than a gaping hole. Since doing that, air flow seems a bit improved and the battery is sometimes warm but not hot. Engine still seems to get a bit hot but running OK sofar.
rcflyer40plus1 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer40plus1
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:39 AM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,281 Posts
Flight report after the mods.

Even nicer to fly now. Motor comes down stone cold.
Feels lighter in the air and more responsive to the sticks.
I put that down to the better servos and a lighter motor/prop combo.
The motor is so light that I had to cut away the front lip of the hatch frame in order to push the battery all the way into the nose.
It's about 2" further forward than it was before.

Glide is ok with the fixed prop and it is now easier to land because it slows down a bit quicker.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:54 AM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,281 Posts
Has anyone checked the weight of their Kinetic.
HK's website specs it at 247g without battery.
After the mods mine now weighs in at just 185g.
With battery it is 230g.
Thrust was an impressive 350g on a fully charged battery.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:31 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2 Posts
Hello Rc Groups!

I'm new here and recieved my Kinetic 800 for a week ago.
I did just one test flight, about 3 minutes, and without using rudder much (just on landing) the rudder servo got stripped D= Since that I didn't dare to fly again, I just can't trust on the elevator and other servos ((

The question is:
What servos is good to replace the original (the black ones) with? A better servos without much plane-surgery mounting (I'm a RC beginner)
Diman is offline Find More Posts by Diman
Last edited by Diman; Aug 10, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:51 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diman View Post
Hello Rc Groups!

I'm new here and recieved my Kinetic 800 for a week ago.
I did just one test flight, about 3 minutes, and without using rudder much (just on landing) the rudder servo got stripped D= Since that I didn't dare to fly again, I just can't trust on the elevator and other servos ((

The question is:
What servos is good to replace the original (the black ones) with? A better servos without much plane-surgery mounting (I'm a RC beginner)
Just look over the last couple of pages of this thread. A lot more servo talk over here. Also, there are links to argo-2's build which he has a lot of good instruction and photos...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...366347&page=19
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:47 PM
Björkvik, Sweden
Joined Aug 2009
12 Posts
How to secure the lip from moving around?

Hi everybody.
I just received my Kinetic from HK and have assembled averything without problems. I just cantt figure out how to seucure the batery in a good manner. I cant find any nice surface to put the velcro tape on.
How do you make to prevent the batery from moving around change the correct cg?
Hoping to maiden tomorrow.
RickenB is offline Find More Posts by RickenB
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:54 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
I used a piece of soft foam to keep it from sliding around. Since I have my battery all the way forward, I just put a small piece behind it to keep it from sliding back.

KMan
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:37 PM
Björkvik, Sweden
Joined Aug 2009
12 Posts
Thank you Kman24, I guess I likewse can take some of the bubble plastic thath the Kinteic came with ;-)
RickenB is offline Find More Posts by RickenB
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:03 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickenB View Post
Thank you Kman24, I guess I likewse can take some of the bubble plastic thath the Kinteic came with ;-)
Sounds good. Just be careful not to plug up the compartment so that air can't flow through for cooling the electronics.

Good luck!!!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:29 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
400 Posts
A great Bomb Drop Mod

I modified my Son's Kinetics 800, routing the pushrod for the rudder to the main hatch for a Bomb/Payload release system and it works great. This Mod really makes for a lot of fun. Sorry the video is short but we were having way too much fun with this and I didn't video as much as I should have.

Hobby King Kinetic 800 RC Glider - Nerf Bomb Drop Mod - iPhone 4 Edit Video (1 min 22 sec)
bmsweb is offline Find More Posts by bmsweb