SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by hobbykinglive, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:11 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,564 Posts
What kind of plug comes on the ESC for hooking up to batteries?

TIA - KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:15 AM
Vojens, Danmark .
Joined Jul 2009
4 Posts
The Plug for hooking up for batteries is a mini-JST.

Preben
OY6153 is offline Find More Posts by OY6153
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:03 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
took my Kinetic 800 out for the maiden today here's my humble thoughts used a 500 mah 3 cell...

-flys great goes where you tell it too
-very aerobatic, does rolls like it's on an axis
-goes straight up, tons of power, very, very fast
-not for a beginner imho
-**my rudder servo already stripped after one flight but brought it back with the Ailerons

so all in all I give it a B+. It would give it an A but the servo gear stripped, now it just clicks. not that I really use the rudder. I give it an A in flight characteristics. I really love this plane and how it flies, very similiar to the HK Swift but with power.
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Last edited by kenstogie; Mar 18, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:42 AM
Italia, Toscana, Lucca
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
Hello everibody I'm a new member. This is my first message so I think is nice introduce myself: I'm Marco and I write from Italy. I fly with rc airplane since about 4 years and during last year I have begun to fly also in FPV. My english isn't so good but I hope we'll understand each other.
Ok... come back in topic and speak about kinetic. I thought to buy it but in this days the PNF version is in backorder, so I have to buy the ARF version. The problem is that I don't know which motor I have to buy. In specifications they speak about a 2226-1250kv motor but I can't find it. Do you have more informations or do you know which motor is ok for kinetic?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Bye

Marco
mancione is offline Find More Posts by mancione
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:35 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancione View Post
Hello everibody I'm a new member. This is my first message so I think is nice introduce myself: I'm Marco and I write from Italy. I fly with rc airplane since about 4 years and during last year I have begun to fly also in FPV. My english isn't so good but I hope we'll understand each other.
Ok... come back in topic and speak about kinetic. I thought to buy it but in this days the PNF version is in backorder, so I have to buy the ARF version. The problem is that I don't know which motor I have to buy. In specifications they speak about a 2226-1250kv motor but I can't find it. Do you have more informations or do you know which motor is ok for kinetic?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Bye

Marco
Ciao Marco! Welcome to RCGroups. there is a truly unbelievable amount of info here! I bought the plug and play version and other than the servos I love the plane! Anyway sorry I can't help you but wanted to say welcome to RCG!
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:00 PM
Italia, Toscana, Lucca
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Ciao Marco! Welcome to RCGroups. there is a truly unbelievable amount of info here! I bought the plug and play version and other than the servos I love the plane! Anyway sorry I can't help you but wanted to say welcome to RCG!
Ciao kenstogie! Many thanks for your welcome. Yes, I know this forum is full of interesting contents and in fact it is world famous! Many people also in Italy look here as a benchmark.
I'm happy to know that you like it, your opinion confirm that is a good plane and I'm more and more determined to buy it...
The plug and play version is still in backorder, so I think I'll buy the ARF version. In this way I could also choose different servos, considering that you found them not good.
Now I have only to understand which motor to buy, but unfortunately I continue to find nothing.
Ciao!

P.S. I go slowly but I'like to write these messages so I can train my english...
mancione is offline Find More Posts by mancione
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:48 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2010
38 Posts
Hey all!

I am also one of the fortunate ones that have maiden the Kinetic 800! I really like it even though I had some small problems with it:

First up, I couldn’t get the motor started.. I had to calibrate the throttle level first with full throttle on and then throttle off. After that I had to turn the plane off/controller off. Then after powering up the plane and the controller all was fine. It only took me over 24h to figure that out..

I detached all the servos and bended the ailerons and the rudder back and forth to take away some strain from the cheap servos. Im thinking of cutting out the rudders and the put some hinge tape instead of the foam.

I had to cut away the outer hole on the servo from the elevator because it was digging in to the foam. I also placed the piano wire in the hole closest to the servo center to less the strain even more.

The maiden was done with a OrangeRX pressed all the way back and a 800mah Turnigy Nano in the middle of the hatch. The CG was perfect with 4cm from the leading edge. I flew around for 10min and it went well. (used only 250mah) I had to trim the elevator A LOT. It wanted to climb when I turned on some thrust. Change CG?

When I landed the rudder servo stripped due to that the plane turned 45 degrees to the right on the grass..

I have ordered 4 new DYS servos (http://www.giantcod.co.uk/dys0201-mi...-p-402575.html) to replace the rudder and elevator.

Have a great day,
Carl
RFnoise is offline Find More Posts by RFnoise
Old Apr 05, 2011, 11:33 PM
Antwerp-Belgium
Joined May 2009
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
Thanks for the link, I had seen that prior to mine arriving.

I have added a piece of 1/16 ply below the wing clips to stop the wings moving up and down as much in the fuselage (its not much movement but noticable).

The ply takes up the gap between the top surface of the carbon spars and the plastic clips, it still leaves enough movement to enable the clip to be pushed down for wing removal.

Its 30mm long and about 13mm wide (to fit in recess where wing clips go) also has a small slot at each end in the center to cater for the web on the underside of the clip.

One wing is inserted in fuselage, fit the ply between the clip and wing, then slide in second wing.

Photo shows the ply in place below the clips, and the small self tapper used for extra security of the clips (drilled small hole through plastic bits), the screws also push down on the thin ply to clamp the spars.

If I glue the wings in in the future i will use PU glue in the center area to lock it together.

Del
Well, mine is still on its way, so I can only wait for delivery.
As far as I can see, I might use my old trick to secure the wings, as I did on my previous Easy Star= two earth magnets, glued in the side of either wing. When pushed in the fuselage, they snap both wings together. This way they can always get loose on sudden impact, and will keep the wings in the fuselage as strong as neccesary.
Combined with your idea of the plywood, that will be a nice solution.
Krabke is offline Find More Posts by Krabke
Old Apr 11, 2011, 01:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Torquay
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
ESC Programming

Hi All,

I received my Kinetic a couple of days ago and it looks good.

Not sure if I am just a bit thick, but I'm having trouble working out the programming of the ESC. I've downloaded the manual from this thread for the JP EnErG ESC. My ESC is plain black with some white letters and numbers on the heat shrink, but nothing to show it is JP brand.

I turn on my Tx and put the throttle to max. I plug in the battery (2s lipo) and hear two short beeps, wait 5 seconds, hear 1 short beep, wait 2 seconds, hear 2 short beeps. Then nothing. If I move my throttle to minimum once in programming mode I get another beep, but it doesn't seem to change anything. What am I missing here? From reading the manual it sounded like it should go through all the options until I move the throttle, but I just get the 1 beep, then 2 beeps.

When I start up normally I get two short beeps (2s lipo I assume) and then one lower pitched short beep (brake on).

Also, what do all the different characters mean in the audible tones section of the manual? Eg. For lipo the manual shows ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ and for very soft start it shows VV VV VV VV Are they different types of tones I should hear?

Any help much appreciated! Thanks.
stevehendo is offline Find More Posts by stevehendo
Last edited by stevehendo; Apr 11, 2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:36 AM
Antwerp-Belgium
Joined May 2009
97 Posts
Hopefully, I get mine today. The man in Germany sended mine to the wrong address, so I had to wait another weekend to pick it up at the post office...

I will look into that ESC when I have mine at home. Let's hope I can be of any help.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:02 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined May 2009
9 Posts
Hi Stevehendo,

When I plug power into my system with throttle set to max, I get four distinct double-beeps. Have you tried reversing throttle? What happens if you have throttle set to zero when you connect power? Are you able to turn propeller at all?

V V V and ~ ~ ~ sounds are very distinct. Symbol shows how pitch goes and with manual you will have no problems.
kiviglider is offline Find More Posts by kiviglider
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:33 PM
Australia, VIC, Torquay
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiviglider View Post
When I plug power into my system with throttle set to max, I get four distinct double-beeps. Have you tried reversing throttle? What happens if you have throttle set to zero when you connect power? Are you able to turn propeller at all?

V V V and ~ ~ ~ sounds are very distinct. Symbol shows how pitch goes and with manual you will have no problems.
Thanks very much for the response. I'm starting to think mine has a different ESC. I've tried reversing the throttle and having it set to zero. If I have the throttle set to zero it gives two beeps (meaning 2s lipo I think) and then one beep (brake on). The motor then runs fine. So I can get the motor running, I just can't access any of the setup.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:31 AM
Antwerp-Belgium
Joined May 2009
97 Posts
Well, I got my Kinetic a few days ago. I posted some words about it on another thread.

I can't program the ESC either. I can set the throttle range, but can't enter the program mode.
Luckily the factory settings are almost OK to me, exept the break setting: that is OFF now, and I want it ON of course.

Cut-off voltage is low by default, but I will never fly it lower that 3,7V per cell, so I suppose cut-off will most likely never happen.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:24 AM
Australia, VIC, Torquay
Joined Mar 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabke View Post
Well, I got my Kinetic a few days ago. I posted some words about it on another thread.

I can't program the ESC either. I can set the throttle range, but can't enter the program mode.
Interesting... I guess this makes me think that maybe they have started shipping it with a different ESC. Will wait and see if there are any more reports.

I'm fortunate that brake is ON by default for me.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:40 AM
Paris - France
Joined Jul 2008
94 Posts
Hello Everybody

I am like marco and I am going to buy the PNF version of the Kinetic 800, to put my own servos, Esc and motor, but I don't find the specification of the 2226-1250 KV motor. I saw on a french forum that the lenght is 26, diameter 22 and shaft 3. Does anybody can confirm this?
I am thinking of this motor which is said to fit well the Merlin for aerobatic flights.
http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...idProduct=8141
Diameter is a little bit more than 22, it's 26. Do you think that can fit ?
Gildas is offline Find More Posts by Gildas