HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by hobbykinglive, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:29 AM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
Ok guys, here is my take on this plane. I have the full review up on you tube and i really like this plane if set up right. Take a look and thumbs up PLEASE.
Reviewing HobbyKing's Kinetic 800 (5 min 18 sec)


Thanks guys,
Don
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:54 AM
Registered User
Del-Dredd's Avatar
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Just watched it from the link on HK site, nice flying and review.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
Registered User
Del-Dredd's Avatar
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Mine turned up today, all well apart from missing the wing retainer from the RH wing.
Somebody else had the same problem, factory worker had a bad day.

Emailed HK so they will hopefully send the part.

I do not want to glue wing in permanently, even then would need some sort of support for the carbon to lever against in the middle.

Other than that it all works well, controls were a little stiff, sorted that with the normal trick of disconnecting linkage then flexing back and forth after a light sanding of the hinge groove.
Controls are nice and free now and do not stall servos at end of travel.

Also sanded a small groove for the rudder pushrod as this was binding on the fuselage and stalling before full right rudder reached.

Just have to wait for the missing wing retainer before it flies.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:20 PM
Registered User
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday. I like it!

It's a lot more "ready to fly" or "plug and play" than some other planes I've bought recently (*cough* Radian Pro *cough*) It assembles very easily in a few minutes. Flies well. Nice and portable.

Seems like the perfect plane to keep in the car for random flying opportunities.
dangitman is offline Find More Posts by dangitman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:06 PM
Registered User
Cubber1's Avatar
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
Don't know how many of these brushed RR kits MPX actually sell, but still, the brushed setup in the Easystar actually delivers an acceptable performance, better still, it won't cook in half a dozen flights, like it's the case with the stock brushless setup in the HK Swift.
--------------
If you think the easystar has acceptable performance with the brushed setup, I think you will find as good as all Hobbyking planes to be way overpowered !

Flied one time with the axn-floater jet/clouds fly, together with some guys with the brushed easystar. I think it's safe to say the stock clouds fly is twice as fast as the easystar. These guys were not thinking their twice as expensive, half as fast plane, was any good.

This idea that all hobbyking planes need new servos on arrival is also a bit of a joke. I have hundreds of flights on 3 hobbyking planes - Pitts (originally art-tech), skyartec cessna 182, and clouds fly. I have had problems with 1 servo on the clouds fly, and I have crashed that plane from 50meters straight down without wings. The real problem with that plane though is that the ailerons are too stiff, and therefore load the servos too hard, that would not change by itself if you get hitec servos for instance.

The kinetic 800 looks very nice, and yeah it is a ripoff design, but there are loads of sailplanes that look virtually the same, the size is the main difference between them.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:28 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
--------------
If you think the easystar has acceptable performance with the brushed setup, I think you will find as good as all Hobbyking planes to be way overpowered !

Flied one time with the axn-floater jet/clouds fly, together with some guys with the brushed easystar. I think it's safe to say the stock clouds fly is twice as fast as the easystar. These guys were not thinking their twice as expensive, half as fast plane, was any good.

This idea that all hobbyking planes need new servos on arrival is also a bit of a joke. I have hundreds of flights on 3 hobbyking planes - Pitts (originally art-tech), skyartec cessna 182, and clouds fly. I have had problems with 1 servo on the clouds fly, and I have crashed that plane from 50meters straight down without wings. The real problem with that plane though is that the ailerons are too stiff, and therefore load the servos too hard, that would not change by itself if you get hitec servos for instance.

The kinetic 800 looks very nice, and yeah it is a ripoff design, but there are loads of sailplanes that look virtually the same, the size is the main difference between them.
The difference between a 'quality' plane and a HK plane is the hit-rate. Eg. go to the HK Swift thread, the servos go bust for no reason, the motor is underpowered and underdimensioned, hence melts the fuse around the alu-firewall. Roughly the same story about the HK Minimoa, people upgrade the servos before the maiden! When I say the Easystar has acceptable performance, it is relative to its age and the fact it's a brushed setup.. For value, the Graupner Rookie S is a waaay better deal.

But don't get me wrong, HK is probably the main contributor in keeping me in this hobby. Having said that, I am disappointed about their lack of originality, and in this particular case of the Kinetic, I must point out that it's not even good value (for EU customers at least, as I understand this MPX is not an alternative for Aussies).
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 01:01 AM
Registered User
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Been flying the HK Kinetic a bit more, and just a tip to anybody getting one - you're best off putting a 500mAh battery in it. You don't need anything bigger.

It flies better with less weight and gets plenty of flight duration. 800mAh is not necessary, and 1000mAh is way overkill.
dangitman is offline Find More Posts by dangitman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 03:24 AM
Registered User
Cubber1's Avatar
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
The difference between a 'quality' plane and a HK plane is the hit-rate. Eg. go to the HK Swift thread, the servos go bust for no reason, the motor is underpowered and underdimensioned, hence melts the fuse around the alu-firewall. Roughly the same story about the HK Minimoa, people upgrade the servos before the maiden! When I say the Easystar has acceptable performance, it is relative to its age and the fact it's a brushed setup.. For value, the Graupner Rookie S is a waaay better deal.

But don't get me wrong, HK is probably the main contributor in keeping me in this hobby. Having said that, I am disappointed about their lack of originality, and in this particular case of the Kinetic, I must point out that it's not even good value (for EU customers at least, as I understand this MPX is not an alternative for Aussies).
--------------
I guess the difference between you and me on hobbyking, is that I only buy planes that get good reviews and have good components.
Maybe the swift will burn, what do I know, and the minimoa at 2m wingspan is not going to have a lot of power stock, however I'm quite sure it has way more power than the stock brushed Easystar.

Keep in mind that most of the planes HobbyKing sells are designed and sold first by other companies, hobbyking is mainly a distributor, although they have started making some planes.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:29 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
65 Posts
say, can i get his wings out like merlin??? because I Heared That The Merlin Is Really portable, The Thing I Need, But Cheaper
4Anket2 is offline Find More Posts by 4Anket2
Last edited by 4Anket2; Jan 29, 2011 at 06:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 05:26 PM
Registered User
Del-Dredd's Avatar
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Yes the Kinetic employs the same method of wing retention.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:34 PM
Registered User
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Been doing a bit more testing. If you have a radio that has enough channels, I highly recommend not using the Y-harness on the ailerons, and connecting each aileron to a separate channel (AIL and AUX1). Then you can dial in some differential (start with about 30%) for smoother turns. But even better, you can turn the ailerons into flaperons. I've got two flaperon settings on my flap switch - 10% gives a little camber and makes the plane a bit more floaty. 30% for landings brings her down nice and easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Anket2 View Post
say, can i get his wings out like merlin??? because I Heared That The Merlin Is Really portable, The Thing I Need, But Cheaper
Yeah, portability is great, you can pack it back into the box it came in with ease. Very convenient.
dangitman is offline Find More Posts by dangitman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:38 PM
Registered User
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
I guess the difference between you and me on hobbyking, is that I only buy planes that get good reviews and have good components. Maybe the swift will burn, what do I know, and the minimoa at 2m wingspan is not going to have a lot of power stock, however I'm quite sure it has way more power than the stock brushed Easystar.
When it comes to the politics of HK, importing, knock-offs etc; I support both sides to a degree:
  • I do support my local hobby shop - I bought my Parkzone and other brand-name planes there. I buy plenty of miscellaneous hardware, parts, adhesives, chargers and other things there.
  • Yes, HK sells knock-offs. But how original were the originals in the first place? There's only so many shapes a plane can come in. Is there anything particularly original about 99% of the brand-name products? No, they are quite conventional designs.
  • In favour of HK (and the Chinese suppliers), at least they progress, even if it's incrementally. They add new technologies and new products fairly rapidly. I think quality control is improving gradually.
  • The problem with some of the "original" brand names is they seem to be complacent and stagnant. They don't seem particularly concerned about improving their product, or giving their customers a better deal. It almost borders on insulting the customer. Why is Multiplex still selling planes with obsolete brushed motors as current product? Why haven't they updated the Easystar?

Note that I actually do have a Multiplex Easystar on order with my local shop, but who knows if it will arrive before Christmas? So, I'm actually supporting both the originals and the knock-offs. The problem is that the "originals" are not doing a lot to retain my respect and my business.

I don't particularly want to order my stuff from Hong Kong, but if the competition won't compete, then it's the most rational choice.
dangitman is offline Find More Posts by dangitman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
Registered User
Cubber1's Avatar
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangitman View Post
When it comes to the politics of HK, importing, knock-offs etc; I support both sides to a degree:
  • I do support my local hobby shop - I bought my Parkzone and other brand-name planes there. I buy plenty of miscellaneous hardware, parts, adhesives, chargers and other things there.
  • Yes, HK sells knock-offs. But how original were the originals in the first place? There's only so many shapes a plane can come in. Is there anything particularly original about 99% of the brand-name products? No, they are quite conventional designs.
  • In favour of HK (and the Chinese suppliers), at least they progress, even if it's incrementally. They add new technologies and new products fairly rapidly. I think quality control is improving gradually.
  • The problem with some of the "original" brand names is they seem to be complacent and stagnant. They don't seem particularly concerned about improving their product, or giving their customers a better deal. It almost borders on insulting the customer. Why is Multiplex still selling planes with obsolete brushed motors as current product? Why haven't they updated the Easystar?

Note that I actually do have a Multiplex Easystar on order with my local shop, but who knows if it will arrive before Christmas? So, I'm actually supporting both the originals and the knock-offs. The problem is that the "originals" are not doing a lot to retain my respect and my business.

I don't particularly want to order my stuff from Hong Kong, but if the competition won't compete, then it's the most rational choice.
---------------------
Good to see somebody with a sensible approach - it's not black and white between local shops and direct orders from Hobbyking. In my case, local prices are probably almost double compared to a US hobbystore, so for me Hong Kong wins most of the time. But of course it happens that I buy some things locally as well.

I feel that after buying a brushed J3 cub with 650mah nimh batteries for as good as twice the price of much better brushless/lipo-planes from hobbyking, I've basicly had it with buying planes locally. But of course, if there are reasonable offers I might buy locally.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:42 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
kenstogie's Avatar
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
I posted this in the other thread on the Kinetic 800...

It looks "zippy" which is cool but can it be a little "floaty" too? I imagine with a light 2s battery pushed far forward it would help. Just wondering.

Also how's the stock electronics?

Battery Recommendations?

I almost pulled the trigger on this one and probably still will.
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:55 AM
Registered User
Del-Dredd's Avatar
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
No issues with stock electronics yet (6 flights), Motor pulls well.
I disconnected all linkages and ensured free movement of hinges prior to use, worth doing as on receipt most servos were stalling due to stiff hinge lines, especially the rudder.
I drilled a hole through the foam from the front underneath the red mount with an old aerial tube (sharpened) to get extra cooling air in.
Also 4-5 holes down sides of hatch cover, motor and ESC barely get warm now.

I am using Zippy and LoongMax 800 3 cells and LoongMax Tipple 500 3Cells no issues on fitment, 800's have 10-15 mm gap between them and hatch rear lip,
thats with the receiver in the space behind the equipment bay and hatch (used short extention for ESC).

Mine flew straight without any trim needed on its maiden, that was with CoG a fraction in front of 40mm to make sure it survived first flight, since moved to 40mm without trim change.
The glide is quite fast so not much of a floater i would say, not tried in dead calm with a 2 cell yet though.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Last edited by Del-Dredd; Feb 03, 2011 at 06:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion The 130" Kinetic DP! sll914 Dynamic Soaring 32 Feb 20, 2014 03:54 PM
Discussion Cool Kinetic Pictures daboz Dynamic Soaring 12 Apr 10, 2011 10:26 AM
Discussion New H-King ESC? (not SS) dude_109 Power Systems 31 Dec 20, 2010 12:45 PM
Discussion Kinetic DP 130 Maiden Video 403mph!! daboz Dynamic Soaring 9 Oct 27, 2010 04:10 PM
For Sale Kinetic 50 with OS 50SX-H mundo330 Aircraft - Fuel - Helis (FS/W) 1 Oct 10, 2010 07:15 PM