Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by hobbykinglive, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:58 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
If the stuff turns out to be bad, i have loads of stuff on hand, as i usually build from the scratch built forum. I just saw it while ordering other stuff and thought why not.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:40 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Seen a video of it flying under a different name (not Merlin) same spec and it scoots along quite nicely.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 03:30 AM
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
Have a quick look in the HK RTF threads, let me just point out that 'underpowered' is not an uncommon word... which very often leads to words like "new", "motor", "upgrade"...
Isn't "motor upgrade" also one of the key words in Mutiplex threads? After all, they are still shipping models with brushed motors (when they can be bothered to ship them at all, that is).

There's also the factor that these days people often expect extreme power even in models where it's not appropriate. There will always be somebody whining for more power.
dangitman is offline Find More Posts by dangitman
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:44 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangitman View Post
Isn't "motor upgrade" also one of the key words in Mutiplex threads? After all, they are still shipping models with brushed motors (when they can be bothered to ship them at all, that is).

There's also the factor that these days people often expect extreme power even in models where it's not appropriate. There will always be somebody whining for more power.
Don't know how many of these brushed RR kits MPX actually sell, but still, the brushed setup in the Easystar actually delivers an acceptable performance, better still, it won't cook in half a dozen flights, like it's the case with the stock brushless setup in the HK Swift.
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:43 AM
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Quote:
Don't know how many of these brushed RR kits MPX actually sell, but still, the brushed setup in the Easystar actually delivers an acceptable performance, better still, it won't cook in half a dozen flights, like it's the case with the stock brushless setup in the HK Swift.
What you call an "acceptable performance" in the Easy Star is not to others. So, mocking the HK stuff based on comments about motor upgrades sounds a little like the pot calling the kettle black.

The performance of the stock HK stuff might be perfectly fine to some users, but not for others. Exactly the same situation as MPX.

I wouldn't go onto a discussion of a MPX product and mock it for being underpowered just because people are discussing power system upgrades.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:35 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangitman View Post
What you call an "acceptable performance" in the Easy Star is not to others. So, mocking the HK stuff based on comments about motor upgrades sounds a little like the pot calling the kettle black.

The performance of the stock HK stuff might be perfectly fine to some users, but not for others. Exactly the same situation as MPX.

I wouldn't go onto a discussion of a MPX product and mock it for being underpowered just because people are discussing power system upgrades.
I get your point, 'underpowered' is indeed a subjective term, but IMO underDIMENSIONED is quite objective. If a motor gets scorching hot with conservative throttle management, then it's only a matter of time before the magnets quit (and the motor). This is definitely the case with the Swift. The Kinetic might be better, but experience tells me otherwise. I am a great fan of HK and use them a lot, but their PnP offerings are ho-hum, based on historical data. This might change (hopefully it will) in the future, but until they prove it, an offering like the Kinetic isn't much more worth than a kit. Hence, my point is, why get (and wait) for this knock-off when you can get the real thing for roughly the same price (in the EU for less)?
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:34 PM
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Quote:
Hence, my point is, why get (and wait) for this knock-off when you can get the real thing for roughly the same price (in the EU for less)?
Because (at least in Australia) it's nearly impossible to get Multiplex planes. It's actually a lot quicker to wait for Hobbyking. For example, Easy Stars have been unavailable here for maybe 6 months or more. It's like Multiplex couldn't be bothered selling their products.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Seems to be some issue on the size of the battery bay, site says 30mm wide , but has been measured at 26mm wide and only 27mm deep.
If size measured in a review is correct, the batteries suggested and listed in combo section on HK site will not fit without modification to the airframe and pulling 9 Amps you wont want to fit smaller batteries.

Could do with some official response from HK on this.

Suppose it would be easier to fit without the plastic bay insert thing.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:33 AM
Mex
The Netherlands, ZH, Rotterdam
Joined Mar 2007
116 Posts
I made today the maiden flight with the HK Kinetic and it's a great little plane it flies great and it's also pretty fast. A little nose heavy with the 1000mah lipo but it flies great.

HK Spektrum Clone RX
Turnigy 1000mah 3s 20-30c lipo

HobbyKing Kinetic 800 mini Glider Review (4 min 7 sec)
Mex is offline Find More Posts by Mex
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:52 AM
Mex
Joined Mar 2007
116 Posts
Here you can see the vid in HD

HobbyKing Kinetic 800 mini Glider 720p HD full video (7 min 52 sec)
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:35 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Was just about tp post a link to your video, nice one, sounded a bit windy.
Flew really well, mine arrives tomorrow hopefully, should have been Thursday/Friday but thats Parcel Farce for you.

Glad to see bigger battery not much of an issue after reading the tales of woe from another review post and blog.

Not sure if his was incorrect size bay as the Turnigy 1000 would not have fit his measurements i think.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:15 PM
Mex
Joined Mar 2007
116 Posts
I have to say don't go any bigger then a 1000mah, you have enough flight time with this lipo

It's a HK Spektrum receiver

Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:35 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Are you flying at the recommended 40mm?, or is it slightly further forward.
Saw a mention of 20mm on someones HK site review comment which seemed a bit to far,
suppose it depends how you like to fly though.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:40 AM
Mex
Joined Mar 2007
116 Posts
Yep 40mm, at the first picture in my last post here you can see 2 pen stripes at 40mm. It's a bit nose heavy with the 1000mah lipo so it's more around 35mm i think and it handles fine

p.s. here you can download the Manual http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...14X7478X27.pdf
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:42 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
thanks for the info, got the manual a while a go, not that theres much to it.