HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by hobbykinglive, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:25 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Joined Jul 2010
173 Posts
Cool stuff. I finally got my K800 out for a few flights tonight after repairs from a previous mishap. Added some carbon tubing to tail & additional to wings. Flew *great*. The servos are definitely lacking - I've replaced 2 so far, but it sure is fun to ramp this guy high up into the sky and cut the motor. Ah, some relief from winter cabin fever!
rcflyer40plus1 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer40plus1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
I read somewhere (I forget where) that the Multiplex Merlin, which the Kinetic 800 is a copy of, suffers from the unexpected death spiral thing because the fin is too big.

The explanation was that there's a lot of directional stability due to the fin but little or no roll stability, and that's what causes it. I can't claim to fully understand the aerodynamics involved but I guess a sycamore seed falling to the ground does the same thing. Instead of the big fin keeping it upright, as you might expect, it pushes that end out as it falls, making it spiral.

I considered getting a Kinetic 800, maybe the kit version, and cutting a bit off the base of the fin. Since they decided to clear them out, I've sort of gone off the idea because there won't be any more spares available soon.
ppl have religiously claimed that this is an EXACT copy of the merlin...IF this is true, then merlin parts should be a direct replacement that requires absolutely no mods whatsoever. IF ITS A DIRECT COPY - ppl tend to exaggerate quite a bit, and misuse terms like "exact" copy. i dont have BOTH planes ACTUALLY side by side so im speculating if its a true copy or a a very close equivalent. unless it literally came from the same factory, i doubt its an exact copy......BUT, if its close enough, u should be able to find merlin parts and mod as needed
sfactor1 is offline Find More Posts by sfactor1
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacemi View Post
increible jajajjaajaj COOL VIDEO
hahahaha to the jajajaja......i know
sfactor1 is offline Find More Posts by sfactor1
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,708 Posts
Good point on the Merlin parts, sfactor1, but HK don't seem to sell the Kinetic 800 any more.
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Hmm, looks like it's off the site. It's odd, I bought one last week, arrived yesterday and now they're gone.
Brewshooter is offline Find More Posts by Brewshooter
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:53 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,708 Posts
Someone posted a buddy code for the ARF, from the US warehouse (no use to me), but that link no longer works.

Has anyone else noticed that Hobby King have forgotten how to sort by price?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...&v=&sortlist=P

How am I going to find cheap crap now?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
How am I going to find cheap crap now?
Check this site like I do every so often:
http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm

Cheers, mate. Man, that Gorilla looks mean!

VJ
Virginia Jim is offline Find More Posts by Virginia Jim
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:05 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
239 Posts
Maiden Flight

Hello!

Fun plane! Here is the video of my maiden:

Kinetic 800 RC Plane Maiden Flight (2 min 51 sec)

This was all using a 2S 610mAh lipo. I then flew with a 3S lipo, plenty of power!

The only thing that is a bit tricky is that it has a tendency to tip stall. It can be exploited to do crazy aerobatics: I can do rolls only with the elevator :-) I need to edit the video and post it.

Anyway, I ended-up breaking the prop because of a stall pulling out of an inverted loop (pilot error). That is the second time I crash a glider doing inverted loops, I should remember that they can't do it tight!

The plane took a solid hit, both wings popped out but it turns out that only the prop is damaged. Not bad!

HK is out of stock for the prop, what kind of replacement props are you guys using?

Franck
ffranck is offline Find More Posts by ffranck
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:23 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Jim View Post
Check this site like I do every so often:
http://hk.rc-international.info/swarm

Cheers, mate. Man, that Gorilla looks mean!

VJ
I've used that site to look up buddy codes, but how would I get a list of the cheaper ARFs, for example?

I noticed a sign on HKs site saying they're hiring. I hope they're hiring decent web designers for a change. For a shop that successful, their website really sucks.

I picture the packing department of HK being staffed by primates, not unlike Hobby Kong. The phrase "if you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys" comes to mind when I get another squashed wing tip on a kit. I know they think big though, so they probably pay the staff in bananas.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
329 Posts
Suprise!

HK has ARF (kit) Kinetics back in stock. $30
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ider_ARF_.html

Cheers!

VJ
Virginia Jim is offline Find More Posts by Virginia Jim
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:46 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,708 Posts
Well spotted, VJ. Maybe I'll get one, one day. HK had emptied my shopping cart again (they evidently don't want me to spend too much money) but I've added one of those to remind me.

If anyone tries modifying the fin by making it smaller I'd be interested to hear if that helps with the tip stalling / death spiral thing.

I think the ARF is probably the way to go. It doesn't seem all that easy to swap servos in the ready made ones (which they don't currently sell), and it sounded like the servos weren't all that good and sometimes failed. I'd rather choose my own anyway. There are some pretty good servos for around $5.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:37 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Joined Jul 2010
173 Posts
Yeah, I went through a couple servos on my first one, but sofar in the second one, have had no issues. Maybe I am getting better on landings . But, it's definitely worth having something a little beefier in there for security. I actually put a Spektrum receiver in the new one (old was a cheapie HK 2.4 GHz) and that has increased my enjoyment. I find that best conditions are maybe 5-7 mph wind which gives a little extra flight time when gliding around and slows her down on landing. The power with a 3S 500 mAh is perfect - takes no time at all to zoom her up to the point where you can barely see, then cut the motor. Or, can loop and roll to heart's content. Just fun all around.

UPDATE: tinkered with the 1st one and after a bit of hot glue and a little more carbon rod support, the original is back in the air. Rolls loops and glides. I really do hate the HK 2.4 GHz rx/tx I got for that one (cheap to the max), but it works. Never thought I'd see that bird fly again!
rcflyer40plus1 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer40plus1
Last edited by rcflyer40plus1; May 13, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:08 AM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
846 Posts
I made this video with Kinetic on first half, with HK Wing Cam. I hope they start selling this glider again. Someone mentioned the prop earlier, I replaced just the props themselves at my local model shop, you can push the pins out from the spinner and put the same size props in then put the pins back.
Kinetic 800 Mini Glider and Vought F4U Corsair RC Plane (2 min 40 sec)
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old May 24, 2012, 10:01 AM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
846 Posts
Got some nice video with HK Wing Cam yesterday. I noticed the Kinetic isn't on HK anymore though, have they stopped making them or replaced them with something else?
Kinetic 800 Mini Glider On Board HK Wing Cam (20 min 43 sec)
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Jun 2012
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Flying UK View Post
I noticed the Kinetic isn't on HK anymore though, have they stopped making them or replaced them with something else?
I read on a German board they were sued by Multiplex and had to stop sale and production.

On the other hand, the Merlin Kit is available here for under 50 now, so I might as well get the original.
Mac Smith is offline Find More Posts by Mac Smith