HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:18 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
Doug

Thank you very much for your word and your effort for 737 so far.
I will just accept pre-order after I feel more confidence on 747 design.
BTW, I learn so much from your model skill.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:44 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
757 Posts
Ming,

With the fuselage, since it has to be glued together, how bout making it modular like the real one arguably is? This way customers can create the version or versions they want? IE shorter or longer fuse.

I too would prefer the -8 however the wings would be more like your existing 787 wings compared to what was used on -400 or older versions so that could limit or negate my modular fuselage design.

With regards to the LG as others have said, larger is ok, and really a must for those that don't have the option of super paved/asphalt runway. Many people do that to their cars too! Also, consider to use servoless retracts with (minimum) 4mm or (preferably) 5mm shafts.

Lastly, definitely multiple spars to minimize wing flex.

Do you have wing loading estimates yet? Please share when available!

Neil
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:48 AM
Maui, Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
326 Posts
747!
Cool! I'm in for one!
Hawaiian Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Hawaiian Flyin
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:53 AM
Norway, Akershus, As
Joined Apr 2007
162 Posts
Concorde

I'm waiting for the Concorde Ming, this is just the plane I need. Do you have any photos of info about this model?
Lars N is offline Find More Posts by Lars N
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Aug 2008
203 Posts
Hi Ming,

as boom wrote:
But honestly, modeling the 747-8i would allow you to use the largest Edf for airframe size. The GEnx are noticeably bigger than the engines on the -400s

That is a very good point, so for the -8 70mm EDFs shoul work.
Concerning power I think 60/64mm EDFs should be enough.

A comment about your concernes for the wheels:
Let's say it will be 2.4m wingspan which would result in a scale of 1:27.
With this scale all tyres would be 47mm diameter which should be ok (even for grass)

Personally I'd vote for the classical -400 because of your and other's already mentioned points.
(another advantage of -400 is customer can choose between civil or cargo arcraft,which is not possible with -8 because of different body shapes)

My vote is 747-400 with 2.4m wingspan. Can't believe how cool this would be!!

Ming, you're a genius and make our dreams come real.

Markus
carrerars is offline Find More Posts by carrerars
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:29 AM
Paul B
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Flyin View Post
747!
Cool! I'm in for one!
Count me in as well!
Pannoch RC is offline Find More Posts by Pannoch RC
Last edited by Pannoch RC; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Jan 2009
29 Posts
Hello,
I prefer bigger wheels as I have to fly from grass. I donīt think that bigger wheels than scale spoil the overall appearance because the will be retracted most of the time anyhow.

Concerning EDF diameter Iīd prefer the 69/70 mm size because they produce easily ca. 1.3-1.4 kg of thrust adding up to approx. 5 kg in total so ROG of grass should be absolutely no problem.
Furtherone they work great in the 737, so thereīs no need to look for suitable EDFs and motors.

As far as I know a good 60-64 mm EDF produces only 800-900g thrust at its best.

I think those 5-10mm more in diameter will not spoil the scale look, but will be of great advantage in performance.

Greetings

Michael
michi3 is offline Find More Posts by michi3
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:57 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Ming,

My only request would be to make the 747 fuse two piece like in the 737. However give us the ability to be able to make the fuse modular. In other words to be able to take the fuse apart for transport & then put it back together to fly & then apart again.

Instead of gluing the front fuse & back fuse halves together permanently like the 737 is designed.

I know one can do a custom job on the 737 fuse halves(which i'm still not sure how to do without adding a lot of weight) but it would be really nice to have the ability part of the design.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:12 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,636 Posts
The 747 fuselage is over 2 meter must in two piece, otherwise it can not be ship.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:29 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
The 747 fuselage is over 2 meter must in two piece, otherwise it can not be ship.

Ming Lou

I understand that. But will you make it so we can take it apart for transport out to the flying site?
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:32 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
Pulsery2k1

As you can see, the engine size is not scale on your old style model.
My problem is we can't use 70mm EDF on 747, because the plane will be too large, I don't want to make a non-scale airliner.
Do you think four 60mm is OK?

Ming Lou
Ready to pre-order Ming As long as it's bigger than the W737. So what goodies do we get with it? Flaps, retracts, functional nose LG and MLG doors, options for lighting package? Please do tell . Great work Ming! Cheers!

Vic
Future Wingz is offline Find More Posts by Future Wingz
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:42 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
730 Posts
From what Ming has already stated I think he's just at the start of organising this aircraft. I think we should ALL give him a few months to sort out exactly what he's going to offer instead of us all bombarding him with lost of wants and pre-orders.

As this is also the 737 thread maybe Ming should start a Windrider 747 thread.

Peter
ernie69_2000 is offline Find More Posts by ernie69_2000
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:12 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie69_2000 View Post
From what Ming has already stated I think he's just at the start of organising this aircraft. I think we should ALL give him a few months to sort out exactly what he's going to offer instead of us all bombarding him with lost of wants and pre-orders.

As this is also the 737 thread maybe Ming should start a Windrider 747 thread.

Peter
What you choose to refer to as "bombarding him with lost of wants and pre-orders." simply indicates everyone's level of excitement, enthusiasm and anticipation for this potentially huge new prospective offering from Ming. I'm sure the level of responses so far are quite pleasing for Ming to know that he has all our support moving forward with this massive tooling project and I'm certain that Ming doesn't mind the so called "bombarding" .

Imho, I think the overwhelmingly positive feedback Ming is getting will only permit him the deliver the best possible 747 offering on the RC scale airliner market period! Cheers

Vic
Future Wingz is offline Find More Posts by Future Wingz
Last edited by Future Wingz; Oct 17, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:43 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,912 Posts
Ming actually asked for the feedback. I would buy either the Concorde or the 747.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:02 AM
United States, TX, League City
Joined Jun 2008
368 Posts
I don't mind small wheels and would like a decent power ratio. 4x60mm edfs sounds like I can fly all day lol
hi2nr is online now Find More Posts by hi2nr