SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
wisconsin
Joined Feb 2004
169 Posts
Got a question

I am ready to cover the top of the wing.
What the heck are the 2 slots (holes) in the top of the wing?????
Can they be filled with filler and covered or is there a reason for them

Thanks guys

Hoss
lil hoss is online now Find More Posts by lil hoss
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:02 PM
Mexico City
Joined Apr 2007
335 Posts
I didn't find any purpose for these slots. I filled them and have not missed them. I guess they have some purpose during manufacture of the wing, like holding the carbon spar or the like.
Same goes for the oval shaped marks on the underside of the wing. I didn't fill those, but I don't know what they are for either.

Jurgen
jurgen01 is offline Find More Posts by jurgen01
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
wisconsin
Joined Feb 2004
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen01 View Post
I didn't find any purpose for these slots. I filled them and have not missed them. I guess they have some purpose during manufacture of the wing, like holding the carbon spar or the like.
Same goes for the oval shaped marks on the underside of the wing. I didn't fill those, but I don't know what they are for either.

Jurgen
Thanks Jurgen
I look thru the slots and I can see the carbon tube. But thats the only reason I think they are there. Yea,,, Whats up with the ovals on the bottom of the wings?? Not a big deal, I just covered over them too.
I did cut off the Ailirons and after covering the wings I will reinstall them with CA hinges. Much easier to cover.
My project last night was to cut out the flaps. Came out VERY nice.
I than (After covering it) reattached the flap to the wing useing the CA hinges. I hinged them under the canoes. Installed the servo and servo horn and I works GREAT.
It is the same setup that I have on my turbine jets. Even though my turbines are overpowered I still use a 1/2 flap for takeoff on a calm day. This is the big reason I am useing flaps on the 737. AND..... We don't have the benefit of a blacktop runway, even though our field looks like a golf coarse I think 1/2 flaps will help. And of coarse full flaps on landing if needed.
My flap system was very simple. I wish I had the talent of the other modelers in this group to make the fowlers

Hoss
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:54 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoss View Post
Thanks Jurgen
I look thru the slots and I can see the carbon tube. But thats the only reason I think they are there. Yea,,, Whats up with the ovals on the bottom of the wings?? Not a big deal, I just covered over them too.
I did cut off the Ailirons and after covering the wings I will reinstall them with CA hinges. Much easier to cover.
My project last night was to cut out the flaps. Came out VERY nice.
I than (After covering it) reattached the flap to the wing useing the CA hinges. I hinged them under the canoes. Installed the servo and servo horn and I works GREAT.
It is the same setup that I have on my turbine jets. Even though my turbines are overpowered I still use a 1/2 flap for takeoff on a calm day. This is the big reason I am useing flaps on the 737. AND..... We don't have the benefit of a blacktop runway, even though our field looks like a golf coarse I think 1/2 flaps will help. And of coarse full flaps on landing if needed.
My flap system was very simple. I wish I had the talent of the other modelers in this group to make the fowlers

Hoss
Hi Hoss, I believe those oval shapes on the bottom of the wing represent access points to the wing fuel tanks. During final assembly, technicians access the in wing fuel tanks through these to perform the aqueous wash before sealing the fuel tanks.

Great progress on your build! I have had some other pressing matters to attend to so I throttled back on my build. My wife and I just finished celebrating our daughter's two year birthday so I hope to get a lot done this weekend.

I did test run my propulsion system ( 2 HET 2W-18s + 2 Wemotec mini fan pros, 80 Amp ESCs ). Oh boy! the power output is out outrageously great! Max amp draw at full throttle is about 61-63 Amps! However ESCs were slightly warm after an extended run at 1/2 throttle.

Wings have been covered and painted, need to install simple newbie level 1 flap system I should start working on the nose landing gear door system this weekend.

Just received additional decals from Callie graphics. She does great work. Cheers!

Vic
Future Wingz is offline Find More Posts by Future Wingz
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
768 Posts
Trivial at this point but oval shapes can be seen here:

Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
768 Posts
Vic,

Do you fly at any of the "local" fields or have your own runway like Doug

I made tiny progress on mine. Decided on lights and am swapping out stock retracts.

Speaking of, these were never mounted so if anyone is interested in the set, pm me. These would be just the stock servoless retracts (with metal trunnion) with stock struts and wheels I don't think I even cycled them but will to verify they are working.

Neil
Smokin_Joes is offline Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:26 AM
Paul B
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Paul,

It looks great man- can't wait to see the logos, etc. I'm sure I am just being overly cautious and it's probably not hooked up but what's your down elevator throw set to? That seems a bit much perhaps...
Cheers Doug!

In the vid the elevators/flaps/rudder are not yet connected, thanks for the heads up though.

Yesterday I gave it a burst in lush, thick grass which is much thicker than where I fly. It jumped to life so I am happy I have enough thrust to get airborne. It was a challenge to control though as the nose wheel steering wasn't connected either. It had a mind of its own!!
Pannoch RC is offline Find More Posts by Pannoch RC
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
wisconsin
Joined Feb 2004
169 Posts
I been working on covering the wing the last couple days.
Covering the canoes is a REAL PAIN IN THE BUTT........
So far covering with vinyl has been kinda fun but it sure came to a end with the canoes and the nose of the fuse.
Now I think if I was to try another project like this I think I may go the WBPU way.
Just a little flusterd...

Hoss
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoss View Post
I been working on covering the wing the last couple days.
Covering the canoes is a REAL PAIN IN THE BUTT........
So far covering with vinyl has been kinda fun but it sure came to a end with the canoes and the nose of the fuse.
Now I think if I was to try another project like this I think I may go the WBPU way.
Just a little flusterd...

Hoss
Reading things like this has me still covering undecided.. I suppose the decision will come when it actually gets in hand... Which has not yet been sent from Hong Kong yet..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,862 Posts
Cocg

you could try using both ways - on the easier parts the vinyl
and on parts like the canoes and engines covers with the tissue/wbpc
when finished properly you won't notice the diffrence.

Were At The NEAT FAIR I added the outer flaps only to helpto get
off the grass - my 737 has flown fine without them but couldn't
get off the grass at our larger field - I'm hoping the flaps will help
when we get back I will do the inner ones .
I also have a couple of 5 s batterys just in case.
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Joes View Post
Vic,

Do you fly at any of the "local" fields or have your own runway like Doug

I made tiny progress on mine. Decided on lights and am swapping out stock retracts.

Speaking of, these were never mounted so if anyone is interested in the set, pm me. These would be just the stock servoless retracts (with metal trunnion) with stock struts and wheels I don't think I even cycled them but will to verify they are working.

Neil
Smokin_ Joessssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna be like Doug W when I grow up with my own private runway and all!

I haven't found a club out here yet so I've been flying at a soccer field in Monroe, WA (Fairfield County Park) I'm also thinking of replacing the stock LG servoless retracts with 4mm ones.

Cheers!

Vic
Future Wingz is offline Find More Posts by Future Wingz
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:47 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,862 Posts
Help needed

HELP NEEDED ''''''''

I know this is stupid. But were at the NEAT FAIR and there's always
something you forget .

well to fly off the grass I added flaps - and will use diffrent packs
but I also repaint the wing section were I had balance marked

I 'm using a little phone to do this so it kind of hard to look
back throught the tread .

I belive the CG was approc 8 1/4 " or approx 210mm back on the wing
section
or just sightly past the removable esc cover. ?????
thanks we will fly tomorrow and want to be sure to have cg correct.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:55 PM
wisconsin
Joined Feb 2004
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post
HELP NEEDED ''''''''

I know this is stupid. But were at the NEAT FAIR and there's always
something you forget .

well to fly off the grass I added flaps - and will use diffrent packs
but I also repaint the wing section were I had balance marked

I 'm using a little phone to do this so it kind of hard to look
back throught the tread .

I belive the CG was approc 8 1/4 " or approx 210mm back on the wing
section
or just sightly past the removable esc cover. ?????
thanks we will fly tomorrow and want to be sure to have cg correct.
Best of luck on your maiden Pulsery
Can hardly wait to hear about it
GOOD LUCK

Hoss
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,862 Posts
lil hoss

I'm not maiden it , its flown before , I resprayed the bottem of the wing
and I think I remeber were cg is but I'm not sure
when flown before I used 4000 mil packs now I have
3000 mi packs so I need to check balance .

I don't want to crash in front of a lot of people
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
Santa Cruz, Bolivia
Bolivia, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz de la Sierra
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
Pulsery,

I found this information back in the blog, I hope serve to remember the correct position of CG.
"My cg is now 2 cm behind 50%chord. The plane still requires some uptrim on the elevator (I think max 2 mm), but I like the way she flies now. Turns look good now and rotation on takeoff requires only a gentle pull.

CG is now 2,5 cm behind 50%root, and it still doesn't feel like I'm on the limit.

Regarding mid-root, yes, you are correct. I believe we are all talking about the molded foam piece of wing / fuselage structure. It has a blunt square front face and a blunt square rear face. My measurement from front face to rear face is about 38.5 cm. Thus, my center is at 19.25 cm, measured from either the front face or rear face. Then my CG is 2 cm behind that center. So 17.25 cm from the rear face, or 21.25 cm from the front face of the wing root."

Best of luck on your maiden.
chugo is offline Find More Posts by chugo