HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:20 PM
wisconsin
Joined Feb 2004
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
... Waiting .. Although this plane has been out close to 2 years now, I hope the entusiasm has not drifted, Also hoping Ming has not gotten tired of observing his creation.. After getting to page 141 and only half way through this thread, (A lot!), I can't understand why I haven't as everyone says "pull the trigger"..Well I am joining you and just did.. I consider myself in great modeller company.. The creations you all have come up with .!! I only hope I can learn some patience and do as well.. !! Cliff
Welcome Cliff
Your right......With all the intrest in a simple foam jet this turned out to be a GREAT thread.
I must say I really am enjoying working on my 737.
It's hard to believe what some modelers have done and the detail that they put into a model.
Enjoy it.

Hoss
lil hoss is offline Find More Posts by lil hoss
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:08 AM
Paul B
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen01 View Post
Hello Paul, would you share the way the gear doors are attached? Or Pat.pending?

Jurgen
Hi Jurgen,

No Patents here! LOL.

Firstly, I made the doors from left over plastic from the nosegear door mod. I cut out a rectagular piece, heated it using the heatgun tip on my gas soldering iron to create the bend and then created the curve by heating the plastic again and wrapping it over a small spray can, (like a Tamiya spray can).

I pondered for a while on how to attach the gear doors, I have some spare brackets from the landing gear of my FMS FW-190, which I intended to use but in the end I used hot glue!! I started with a simple join down the centre and then ran a line on each side of the strut as though I was using silicone in the shower to seal the corners. It seems to be a really strong bond, although to be honest I would feel more comfortable with brackets as well. Still may add brackets yet, but so far its really strong.

I didn't have time today to take any close up shots of the join but I will try tomorrow. Spent 8 hours tidying up the wiring to get rid of the excess. Using 3x 8 pin serial plugs, 1 plug for all the servos (10 in the wing in total)), 1 plug for the RHS lights, and the other plug for the LHS lights. Lights are landing, position, rear, & strobe.

Paul
Pannoch RC is offline Find More Posts by Pannoch RC
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:02 AM
Paul B
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
A little teaser

Couldn't apply much power as the thrust tubes are not glued in and rattled about. I might even get rid of them yet.

Very happy that after all the WBPU, talc, paint etc the lights fired up on first go!

A bit concerned after fitting the edf's that I now might be a bit on the heavy side. Oh well, just have to wait and see. They sound good though!

Paul

Windrider Boeing 737 electronics check (1 min 33 sec)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:37 AM
Winston Hills, Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
169 Posts
Looking great Paul.
Very neat job.
pauljohnston is offline Find More Posts by pauljohnston
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:30 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,528 Posts
Intimadated...

Well, Somewhat...
Everyones excellent workmanship, patience and determination has me wondering still how I'll proceed with mine.... (Its in route) My problem is, I'll want to fly it like,, now..!! But may be sorry I don't go "all out"... Maybe somewhere inbetween.. Flaps for sure, but the whole covering thing from vinyl to the WBPU deal.. Ugh... (have never done either) I have no airbrush and dang those strobe lights are a must but where to start..!! Ahh..!! I know its all in the thread but do you relize how long it took to go through every single page including the attachments?
I am certain I can do it all but ... Hmm, like some of you high end guys, Maybe I should get 2... and Mings 777..!! Just rambling... Thanks and great work to all you pioneers out there.. Cliff
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg View Post
Well, Somewhat...
Everyones excellent workmanship, patience and determination has me wondering still how I'll proceed with mine.... (Its in route) My problem is, I'll want to fly it like,, now..!! But may be sorry I don't go "all out"... Maybe somewhere inbetween.. Flaps for sure, but the whole covering thing from vinyl to the WBPU deal.. Ugh... (have never done either) I have no airbrush and dang those strobe lights are a must but where to start..!! Ahh..!! I know its all in the thread but do you relize how long it took to go through every single page including the attachments?
I am certain I can do it all but ... Hmm, like some of you high end guys, Maybe I should get 2... and Mings 777..!! Just rambling... Thanks and great work to all you pioneers out there.. Cliff
@ Paul, she looks awesome! Well done! Is your maiden still on schedule? Cheers

@Cocg. I must say, this build requires an enormous amount of patience. Being my first EDF/Foam/Airliner build, I must say I've made a few boo boos along the way and I'm learning as I go. Without this thread, I 'd really be lost. Thanks to everyone for all your input and lessons learned. I wish you all the best as you proceed. Cheers!
Future Wingz is offline Find More Posts by Future Wingz
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:08 AM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
1,528 Posts
Patience Can Be Had....

.....But lip biting.. Will be in store.. This scheme may need it..(?) I know nothing of this airline and Nigeria, but after pouring through pages of pictures it struck me.. Name: 5N-MJN-Arik-Air-Boeing-737-800_PlanespottersNet_221719.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 53.2 KB
Description:

Name: 41511.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 259.8 KB
Description: Name: 4779137955_863febb1ee Arik.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 69.9 KB
Description: Name: Arik 2.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 9.7 KB
Description: Name: boeing-737-next-generation.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 29.8 KB
Description: I do wish for a generally white scheme (on top) for I live where the sun is quite strong..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:33 AM
Mexico City
Joined Apr 2007
319 Posts
Paul, that is a great finish on you plane (I may have mentioned that before already). Your light scheme is very similar to what I have done.
Windrider 737 Preflight Light Test (1 min 54 sec)

I was considering using one main plug for all the wires from the wing to the fuse, but skipped that work. After all it turned out that it is not that big a problem to plug in the cable. I numbered them to know where goes what.
Transport IS something to be considered. But there is still some room for one more small plane.

Maiden was cancelled on Saturday after one of the ESCs quit again during a simulated flight with changing power settings between WOT for takeoff and 20 to 50% throttle for cruising. May need more capacity ESCs.

Jurgen
jurgen01 is offline Find More Posts by jurgen01
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen01 View Post
Paul, that is a great finish on you plane (I may have mentioned that before already). Your light scheme is very similar to what I have done.
http://youtu.be/CJ2Xhr90bPk
I was considering using one main plug for all the wires from the wing to the fuse, but skipped that work. After all it turned out that it is not that big a problem to plug in the cable. I numbered them to know where goes what.
Transport IS something to be considered. But there is still some room for one more small plane.

Maiden was cancelled on Saturday after one of the ESCs quit again during a simulated flight with changing power settings between WOT for takeoff and 20 to 50% throttle for cruising. May need more capacity ESCs.

Jurgen
Sure is Perrtyy..!! Is that optically eluding or in that last picture there Jurgen, Have you got now a center armrest in your vehicle?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:48 PM
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Oct 2011
359 Posts
Paul and Jurgen you aircraft look so nice and well finished
Looking forward to your flight video's, they are going to look wonderful in the air

Mike
limodune is offline Find More Posts by limodune
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:01 PM
Paul B
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Lookin good Jurgen! Our lights are similar. I think your lighting processor is a very close design to the one I am using.

I would be seriously considering changing your ESC's to 80A or similar. Just for peace of mind. You don't want it to cut out mid or early flight, 80A ESC's will definately be up to the task and its an easy job to replace.

My 80A ESC's are cool to touch after a run. Even 75A may be enough?

Paul
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,262 Posts
Juergen,

I see you like P-38's as well as 737's. Me too. Here is mine.Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347328985.165694.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 172.4 KB
Description:

Rick
swarick is offline Find More Posts by swarick
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_E View Post
Lots of interest in the airliner

Ben_E
Thats a beautiful paint job there on your 737. May I ask what type of paint did you use? Did u give it a finishing coat of lacquer?

Thanks in advance, Ben.
pixeldixel is offline Find More Posts by pixeldixel
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
Mexico City
Joined Apr 2007
319 Posts
Paul: I am using the Dimension Engineering DeLight controller. Lots of programing options.
I have already ordered 100A ESCs, I want to be very on the safe side.
Thanks for the description of the gear door covers. This may be a way to spend the time until my new ESCs arrive. I will think of a sophisticated way to attach the covers. Just glue will not keep me busy for 2 weeks.

Swarick: Yeah, I like the P-38 and this one in particular. It's the E-flite model, and already my second one. The first one was a total loss when the elevator control horn broke just when I pulled up during a full throttle low pass. It has been my favorite plane for some time and seen quite some flight hours and the corresponding injuries. But nothing a few drops of Gorilla Glue can't fix.
I have another one about the same size with 2 OS .25 engines. That one was built from RCM plans over 15 years ago, but I have not had the nerve to fly it. Nitro engines aren't reliable enough to go into twin planes.
Yours looks incredible. It looks like classic construction with built up balsa wings and covering.

Cocg: You spotted it right. An over $300 armrest that took more than 140 hours to assemble and makes access to the dashboard controls and the shift lever complicated. It's removable and I use it only occasionally.

Jurgen
jurgen01 is offline Find More Posts by jurgen01
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannoch RC View Post
A little teaser

Couldn't apply much power as the thrust tubes are not glued in and rattled about. I might even get rid of them yet.

Very happy that after all the WBPU, talc, paint etc the lights fired up on first go!

A bit concerned after fitting the edf's that I now might be a bit on the heavy side. Oh well, just have to wait and see. They sound good though!

Paul
Paul,

It looks great man- can't wait to see the logos, etc. I'm sure I am just being overly cautious and it's probably not hooked up but what's your down elevator throw set to? That seems a bit much perhaps...
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W