HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:44 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Somebody has been reading his wife's clothing catalogues...

Burnt Cienna? Really?
Ooo'psss, my bad. Ith thpelled Thienna with and Ethh.
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
Ooo'psss, my bad. Ith thpelled Thienna with and Ethh.
I shall relent...

And the maiden is???
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
CG check

Quote:
I shall relent...

And the maiden is???
Maiden is on for Sunday, 9 a.m. at the local field.

Just one last check on proper CG location. I know this has been discussed many times. But it's the one huge thing that can cause disaster.

I put it 1 cm in front of the center of the wing root. The wing root being the entire chunk of center section of the wing assembly (it's actually the bottom of the fuselage). The center of the wing root seems to align with the rear edge of the ESC covers. Thus, my CG is 1cm in front of the rear edge of the ESC covers.

I seem to remember Spyro set his AT the rear edge of the ESC covers.

I'm going with 1 cm forward of CL, just to be safe for now. I have perfect balance at that point, not the old, "balance it at the CG, then make it a little nose heavy".

Is this a "conservative" CG, for starting? Or is this like the minimum forward location?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
CG Check

I searched back through and found many are using 2 cm behind the center of the wing root. Ben_E and Fotor settled with 2.5 cm behind.

That's much better because I was about to add nose weight to achieve 1 cm in front of center.

As Fotor stated a while back, "Conservative forward can be good, too far forward is not good! It will make your plane more prone to stalling, especially tip-stall will become a bigger problem. With a forward cg you're flying faster and with a greater angle of attack. I do not recommend 1 cm in front of mid-rootchord".

I'm going with 2 cm behind mid-root. "Root" being the entire wing assembly.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jul 2010
458 Posts
Quote:
I searched back through and found many are using 2 cm behind the center of the wing root. Ben_E and Fotor settled with 2.5 cm behind.

That's much better because I was about to add nose weight to achieve 1 cm in front of center.

As Fotor stated a while back, "Conservative forward can be good, too far forward is not good! It will make your plane more prone to stalling, especially tip-stall will become a bigger problem. With a forward cg you're flying faster and with a greater angle of attack. I do not recommend 1 cm in front of mid-rootchord".

I'm going with 2 cm behind mid-root. "Root" being the entire wing assembly.
Yep, Derek- that's perfect. Measure form where the wing section joins the fuse. Once you find the exact middle, go back by 2cm. As a "dummy" check, I usually pick up my model off the ground with two fingers placed on either side of the fuse, over the window behind the exit row wndow before I take off. If it is close on the dummy check, it will fly.

Last thing, if there is wind, just go home. I always see people do maidens in marginal conditions just to fly it. Even if you are the most expereinced RC guy in the world, just make it easy on yourself, and successful.

Finally, you do not need power on final with full flaps- it will glide very well- trust me on this. A long, stabilized approach is what you want.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Yep, Derek- that's perfect. Measure form where the wing section joins the fuse. Once you find the exact middle, go back by 2cm. As a "dummy" check, I usually pick up my model off the ground with two fingers placed on either side of the fuse, over the window behind the exit row wndow before I take off. If it is close on the dummy check, it will fly.

Last thing, if there is wind, just go home. I always see people do maidens in marginal conditions just to fly it. Even if you are the most expereinced RC guy in the world, just make it easy on yourself, and successful.

Finally, you do not need power on final with full flaps- it will glide very well- trust me on this. A long, stabilized approach is what you want.
OK, great. I appreciate the tips. I hear you about being patient for good conditions. It's taken a long time to get this bird ready. I have a few planes I trust in really windy conditions, but it's only because I have flown them a lot, and gradually got to know the behavior.

How much flap do you have for your take off and landing position? Did you measure the angle with a protractor, or just visual? Do you have any elevator mixed with the flaps?

I am tempted to just fly the maiden with no flaps at all. Then on the 2nd flight, use the flaps.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:21 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Taxi test before Maiden

Just a little taxi test in the driveway. All systems check. Maiden set for 9:00 am at the field tomorrow, weather permitting.

Per Doug's wise observation, I added 2 retaining screws to the 25 pin connector for peace of mind. Yes, I am using a 9 channel "Orange" receiver, with one satellite. I have about a dozen of these with no problems.

Boeing 737 taxi test (1 min 29 sec)
Last edited by DerekB; Jun 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,626 Posts
DerekB

Your 737 is too beautiful, I don't want you to fly it.
If you really going to do maiden tomorrow, please promise to me that you will bring it home safe.
What is the AUW?

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,626 Posts
DerekB

US$100 Windrider shopping coupon is waiting for you, do the maiden flight step by step, all Windrider 737 pilots are watching, please shot a video if possible.

Ming Lou
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,626 Posts
What EDF your use? it sound good!
CS 10 blades?

Ming Lou
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:32 PM
Winston Hills, Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
170 Posts
Good luck with the maiden Derek.
Look forward to seeing the video.
She looks and sounds great.

Paul
pauljohnston is offline Find More Posts by pauljohnston
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Mr. Ming,

I will do my very best to keep it safe. AUW is a bit heavy at 4.20 kg (9.26 lbs), which is probably from the glass cloth and paint.

My son is coming with me to video and I am meeting two other very experienced pilots to help me. We will do our best for a video.

I am using the CS 10 blade fan. The sound of that fan is the main reason I got interested in EDF.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Jul 2010
458 Posts
Quote:
Mr. Ming,

I will do my very best to keep it safe. AUW is a bit heavy at 4.20 kg (9.26 lbs), which is probably from the glass cloth and paint.

My son is coming with me to video and I am meeting two other very experienced pilots to help me. We will do our best for a video.

I am using the CS 10 blade fan. The sound of that fan is the main reason I got interested in EDF.
Derek,

Use about 10-15 degrees flaps (just eyeball it) for takeoff, and I would HIGHLY suggest you keep the partial flaps in the whole time. If you want to, put full flaps in on your second downwind. Based on your airplanes weight, you will want flaps for takeoff and landing. Good luck, I know you'll do well- and go to bed for God's sake- it's late!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:00 AM
Paul B
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
Good luck with the maiden Derek!!!

Ticking along slowly with mine. Finished the light install with advice from Spryo on the LED's. Strobes are blinding!

The glass has arrived, the nacells are ready to be covered.

Windrider 737 light test (0 min 12 sec)
Pannoch RC is offline Find More Posts by Pannoch RC
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Jul 2010
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannoch RC View Post
Good luck with the maiden Derek!!!

Ticking along slowly with mine. Finished the light install with advice from Spryo on the LED's. Strobes are blinding!

The glass has arrived, the nacells are ready to be covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPo1AXKc8Xw
Are you glassing and vinyl'ing?