HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:53 AM
Mexico City
Joined Apr 2007
326 Posts
Derek,
"it's like a supermodel on the cover of a magazine"
I haven't had that much experience with supermodels, so I don't know what you are talking about.

The windows do have some reflections. I am just not sure if the dark side goes up or down. I guess dark side should be up.

Spoilers: I'd like to join the exclusive club, but I also want to fly asap.
Actual plan is to instal the carbon reinforcements in the wing and finish as is. Then eventually take it back to the building board and cut out flaps and install spoilers. I may have to re-cover part of the wing, but that seems acceptable.

It seems that I will stick to Doug's covering instructions. I know some variations to step 3.

Jurgen
jurgen01 is offline Find More Posts by jurgen01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:09 AM
Paul B
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen01 View Post
Derek,
I haven't had that much experience with supermodels, so I don't know what you are talking about.

The windows do have some reflections. I am just not sure if the dark side goes up or down. I guess dark side should be up.

Actual plan is to instal the carbon reinforcements in the wing and finish as is. Then eventually take it back to the building board and cut out flaps and install spoilers. I may have to re-cover part of the wing, but that seems acceptable.

It seems that I will stick to Doug's covering instructions. I know some variations to step 3.

Jurgen
First thought would be dark bit at the bottom as light would be hitting the surface from above which would cast a slight shadow (dark bit) at the lower portion.

Just my 2 cents.

Photo of trailing edge of spoilers coming up soon.

Paul
Pannoch RC is offline Find More Posts by Pannoch RC
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:33 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen01 View Post
Derek,

Jurgen
Yah, not too many supermodels around here either.

That's a good question about the window reflection. At first, I thought the way you show it, but this photo seems opposite, with the lighter highlights at the top. It's going to be a tough call.
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:59 AM
Winston Hills, Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
170 Posts
I would think that it did not matter which way you install the windows.
It would depend on time of day and angle of the sun.
eg. If aircraft is on the ground at the airport and it;s around noon I would expect that bottom
of window would get more sun than the top' Also if aircraft was flying north and it's afternoon then probably starboard side will be in shadow.

Paul
pauljohnston is offline Find More Posts by pauljohnston
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:47 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljohnston View Post
I would think that it did not matter which way you install the windows.
It would depend on time of day and angle of the sun.
eg. If aircraft is on the ground at the airport and it;s around noon I would expect that bottom
of window would get more sun than the top' Also if aircraft was flying north and it's afternoon then probably starboard side will be in shadow.

Paul
That is right, completely depends on your point of view in relation to the object and the point of origin of light, As an aviation illustrator, caricaturist I know that the shading and reflection on a reflective surface like a cabin window is determined by the origin of light, an airline cabin is basically just a cylinder, so if the basics of shading apply the edge closer to the light will be lighter and the opposite darker, now there are complex factors on glass where the light from other objects is reflected back and often streaks appear but as a rule of thumb blend a darker bottom into a light top but end it off with a dark edge at the very top of the glass, you could add a streak of light for extra detail but keep it consistent throughout the window line.
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:19 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzster View Post
That is right, completely depends on your point of view in relation to the object and the point of origin of light, As an aviation illustrator, caricaturist I know that the shading and reflection on a reflective surface like a cabin window is determined by the origin of light, an airline cabin is basically just a cylinder, so if the basics of shading apply the edge closer to the light will be lighter and the opposite darker, now there are complex factors on glass where the light from other objects is reflected back and often streaks appear but as a rule of thumb blend a darker bottom into a light top but end it off with a dark edge at the very top of the glass, you could add a streak of light for extra detail but keep it consistent throughout the window line.
Hey, that's some fantastic artwork. Great talent. Any thoughts of doing one for our beloved 737 .

It looks you are the right expert for window reflections, no doubt.

The good news is, there is no right or wrong for the window stickers!
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:48 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
Your'e very kind, I have done a number of airliners by commission but unfortunately never my favorite, the 737NG, especially the 800 series. I just now quickly grabbed a pen and paper to see if I have it in me and I am pretty sure I can do a decent 737
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:12 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzster View Post
Your'e very kind, I have done a number of airliners by commission but unfortunately never my favorite, the 737NG, especially the 800 series. I just now quickly grabbed a pen and paper to see if I have it in me and I am pretty sure I can do a decent 737
Oh, I love it. You guys with true artistic talent, just few pen strokes. It's amazing.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
Here's some photos of my final assembly of the wing.
Looks very nice Derek- really clean workmanship. Two recommendations- for the gray tape you are looking for to attach the ESC grills, use the gray Oracal I cover my wings in. I used that to attach the grill on my Alaska and it hasn't as much as flinched. Second item- don't forget the wing walk black lines on the top of the wing. Automotive pinstripe I found is easiest. Also, pay close attention to United/Continental's wing walk lines- not every carrier uses exactly the same format (even though yes, I know, it is the same plane.) There are tiny differences.

Nice job again- beautiful ship you have there. (I of course love the flaps)
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:41 AM
UAV Operation Manager
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
606 Posts
Looking Good

That workmanship looks fantastic.

Can you tell me type of hinges you are using for the flaps. I know I saw it somewhere in the thread ages ago but I don't want to go through it again.

I've got Mings 787 and really need to get a start on it.

The information I've gathered from this thread has been extremely helpful.

Peter
ernie69_2000 is offline Find More Posts by ernie69_2000
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:07 AM
Winston Hills, Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
170 Posts
Great work Derek. Very neat finish.
I've just received my hinges for the flaps from Tower Hobbies this week.
Peter the hings are Dubro Micro Razor Control Horns (not called hinge)
You may be able to buy locally but when I was in Brisbane a couple of weeks
ago Xtreme RC did not have stock and all the Sydney model shops wher out of stock too.

Paul
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:23 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Looks very nice Derek- really clean workmanship. Two recommendations- for the gray tape you are looking for to attach the ESC grills, use the gray Oracal I cover my wings in. I used that to attach the grill on my Alaska and it hasn't as much as flinched. Second item- don't forget the wing walk black lines on the top of the wing. Automotive pinstripe I found is easiest. Also, pay close attention to United/Continental's wing walk lines- not every carrier uses exactly the same format (even though yes, I know, it is the same plane.) There are tiny differences.

Nice job again- beautiful ship you have there. (I of course love the flaps)
OK, thanks, I was thinking the Oracal might work.

Regarding "wing walk" lines, I knew there was some kind of lines on top of the wing, but did not know the purpose. Also, I have not found a top view that shows this. All of the real photos are from the side or below. Not too many photographers get the bird's eye view. Any idea where I can get a decent photo?

AND, I heap great praise upon you for the flaps design. It is really fantastic. The flaps push straight back and down. I will make a video of mine in the next few days. Again, great job.

I did a test run up of my twin Change Sun 70mm 10 blade fans with the thrust tubes. Engine #1 has a wee bit of vibration I need to balance out. But, OMG, OMG, (did I say OMG ) you have got to hear this. It's sounds like twin turbines. Sooooo sweet. I ran out of time to make a video, as you see, it's past 3 a.m. and I'm fried.
Last edited by DerekB; Jun 09, 2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:36 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljohnston View Post
Great work Derek. Very neat finish.
I've just received my hinges for the flaps from Tower Hobbies this week.
Peter the hings are Dubro Micro Razor Control Horns (not called hinge)
You may be able to buy locally but when I was in Brisbane a couple of weeks
ago Xtreme RC did not have stock and all the Sydney model shops wher out of stock too.

Paul
Yes, that's the one. I ordered mine from Tower also.

Again, credits to DougW for that one. Recall a key point to Doug's design is the horns which fasten to the wing need to be on the outboard. The horns on the flaps are inboard. This keeps the flap in position.

I'm not sure if that concept shows clearly in my photos. I'll try to post a better shot.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 04:47 AM
Winston Hills, Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
170 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out again Derek.
I had read that back when Doug first mentioned it but I
had forgotten again.
When I'm ready to start the model I 'll go back over this thread
again and note everyone's tips.

Paul