1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post
DerekB

great job love the lights , the only thing missing is doors and emergency
windows .

Callie made mine , and I belive she had them - or the art work to
make a set .
Thanks. I will order the doors and a set of windows!!
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:08 PM
shreveport
Joined Oct 2003
87 Posts
Hey guys

Does anyone have a main landing gear i can buy from and then ill send you the gear back when i get mine in from Ming. I want to take my 737 to a jet meet in Texas in the 13-16.

Thanks.
David
jetspud is offline Find More Posts by jetspud
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:59 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
For my window stickers, I did not care for the gray frame around the windows on the stock stickers. On the real windows, you just see glass and the metal skin. Nor did I care for the surrounding clear vinyl.

So, being a glutton for punishment, I made a slice around all the gray frames. Then I peeled off the surrounding sticker (called "weeding" by the vinyl sign people) including all the clear. I then applied a piece of transfer tape, to create the equivalent of what you get from a sign store. Just isolated black window stickers.

Too bad I got these windows too high on the left side and I will have to peel them off and start over. Way to go knucklehead.

I'm going to get her flying first before doing that.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:37 AM
Paul B
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
For my window stickers, I did not care for the gray frame around the windows on the stock stickers. On the real windows, you just see glass and the metal skin. Nor did I care for the surrounding clear vinyl.

So, being a glutton for punishment, I made a slice around all the gray frames. Then I peeled off the surrounding sticker (called "weeding" by the vinyl sign people) including all the clear. I then applied a piece of transfer tape, to create the equivalent of what you get from a sign store. Just isolated black window stickers.

Too bad I got these windows too high on the left side and I will have to peel them off and start over. Way to go knucklehead.

I'm going to get her flying first before doing that.
Firstly, great job Derek it looks fantastic!!!

Secondly, now my wife isn't talking to me as I showed her your work and told her I now need to glass mine!!

Glass is now on it's way!!!

Great job

Paul
Pannoch RC is offline Find More Posts by Pannoch RC
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannoch RC View Post

Secondly, now my wife isn't talking to me as I showed her your work and told her I now need to glass mine!!

Great job

Paul
I'm not sure your wife not talking to you is entirely problematic...that means technically, she wont be nagging you about how much time you spend in the shop working on your 737.

Got to look at the positive my friend...and post some 737 progress pics!
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:52 PM
Mexico City
Joined Apr 2007
330 Posts
Nice job Derek.
"Nice"??? come on, who am I kidding, your finish is an unreachable benchmark. Congratulations.

Since I already bought the Oracal I will have to stick to that fnish.
Today I received my stickers from Callie. They look great.
Last Saturday I finished and maidend my scratch-built retro Flea-Fli, now I will have to travel for 2 weeks and then I will start the assembly of my 737.
Jurgen
jurgen01 is online now Find More Posts by jurgen01
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:23 PM
Paul B
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2009
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
I'm not sure your wife not talking to you is entirely problematic...that means technically, she wont be nagging you about how much time you spend in the shop working on your 737.

Got to look at the positive my friend...and post some 737 progress pics!

I should make the most if it shoudn't I???

Progress.... Spoilers are nearly finished
Pannoch RC is offline Find More Posts by Pannoch RC
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:47 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:

Great job

Paul
I don't mean to scare you off, but it's a lot of work.

Using the 3/4 ounce glass cloth does produce a nice finish. However, I feel I should say few points. It's a lot of work and it is tedious. You must be prepared to use acrylic spray paint in your own spray gun. But in the end, you can produce a really smooth finish. By smooth, I mean you don't see the premolded panel lines and you don't see the foam cell structure and, with extra care, you can get it glass smooth. It took me a lot of trial and error to figure out a good sequence, which I am still working on.

I had intended to photograph and post my sequence, but I did so many things wrong, I did not feel ready for presentation.

So here's a few thoughts from my experience.

1) Initially, I thought the best approach was to make the foam as smooth as possible with spackle. This was frustrating. The foam is harder than the spackle, so every time I sanded the spackle, which you want to sand completely off the foam surface and only leave it in the voids, I could still see the panel lines and foam cells. I am guessing that the soft spackle gets dished out in the voids, despite the softest sanding technique. Even after multiple (I can't even count how many "multiple") coats of spackle, it just ended up the same.

I think my conclusion on spackle is just apply once or twice and that's it. The smoother and thinner the layers, the better. You will have to experiment with how much water to add to thin the spacke - don't be afraid to make is soupy. Even though it is softer than the foam, it's still quite hard, so excess spackle should be avoided to minimize your sanding.

One important point about sanding. DO NOT break the surface of the molded foam. The foam gets fuzzy and nasty. But do make sure you scuff off all the sheen. I used 220 grit the whole way (until final paint).

2) To save a step, I decided to NOT apply a coat of WBPU over the spackle. I still think this is OK. When applying the 3/4 ounce glass cloth, I brushed on a very liberal amount of WBPU directly onto the foam / spackle. Then laid the cloth on and applied a liberal coat of WBPU with a brush.

The nice thing about the cloth is it molds itself very, very, well over the compound curves. The fabric is delicate and needs careful handling. Keep the grain of the cloth straight, don't let it get all wavy. Lay the cloth down on one edge first and hold up the other end. Use the paint brush and WBPU to brush the cloth down onto the surface, working along a centerline first, then out to the edges. Do this very carefully just like you might apply a huge sticker while trying to keep out all the air bubbles. Same concept. This will keep the strands of the cloth straight. Do not brush it all down then try to pull it smooth.

Wrap the cloth around to some natural edge for trimming later. Work some WBPU into that edge. The cloth will not trim well unless it is soaked with WBPU. Then wait for the WBPU to set up, but do NOT let it fully harden. You want to trim the cloth while the WBPU is still plyable. Use a new exacto knife blade. Sand the edges smooth. I tried to avoid lapping any cloth.

3) After it is all covered with cloth, I achieved my nice smooth finish with a good quality acrylic primer from Lowe's. Just paint on layer after layer of paint and sand, sand, sand until you are worn out or totally happy - you can't have both - there's only one thing that makes you both worn out and happy. Try a small area first and you will see the surface improve, improve, improve. I skipped all this on the bottom and just let the cloth texture show through. But on the top surfaces, that's where I put all the effort. (see step 5 where I talk about wet sanding - I did not discover this until after I was done with the primer, but if wet sanding will work on the primer, that's the way to go. Otherwise, the paper clogs up sooo easy, it's frustrating).

4) Do not paint until you are happy with step 3. The final coats of color will add some additional filling, but not much. Again, I used a good quality acrylic latex paint (glossy) from Lowe's. I tried some satin finish paint and was not happy. I tried the cheap craft paints and totally regret it - they won't cover and you can't get custom mixed colors.

5) Once you have 2 coats of gloss color applied, this is where I worked the final smooth magic. I discovered that glossy latex paint can be wet sanded. I used 400 grit and just enough water to keep the paper from clogging. Keep just enough water so the removed paint is like a wet paste on the sand paper. If it gets too dry, the paper will clog immediately. I kept a bowl of water and just dipped my fingers in and dripped a few drops of water on the paper. I kept a towel handy to dry off any water runs, so not to risk soaking the airplane.

If you see the color getting thin, just stop. If it is not smooth enough, there is nothing more that sanding will do. Just stop and put on another coat or 2 of paint, let dry, and wet sand again. 3 or 4 coats of color should be max you need.

Now you have a perfectly smooth finish, but it's flat, not glossy.

6) The last step is a very very (did I say very?) carefully sprayed coat of Johnson floor polish with Future. This liquid is very thin and will run just looking at it. BUT, you have to spray just the perfect amount so that it flows to a gloss. Too little and it won't look glossy. Too much and it will run like a wild dog. You have to practice getting just the right spray coating, on the first pass, and that's it. DON'T touch it. It will dry in about 30 minutes, but will look totally wet, which is sooo cool. If you mess up this coat, no fret, you can wet sand it off and try again (how do I know??).

Sooooo, after all that, if you are still not scared, then dive right in .
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:53 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen01 View Post
Nice job Derek.
"Nice"??? come on, who am I kidding, your finish is an unreachable benchmark. Congratulations.

Since I already bought the Oracal I will have to stick to that fnish.
Today I received my stickers from Callie. They look great.
Last Saturday I finished and maidend my scratch-built retro Flea-Fli, now I will have to travel for 2 weeks and then I will start the assembly of my 737.
Jurgen
Thank you, but I will admit, it's like a supermodel on the cover of a magazine. Once you meet her in person, you can see all the flaws. Overall, I am totally tickled.

I will still try Oracal on my next plane. Glassing and paint is a massive amount of work. With Oracal, I would have been done at my step 2. Not to mention all the masking tape effort needed to spray the paint - masking often took longer than painting.

Nice stickers! Do the windows have some kind of reflection painted into them? If so, that's totally cool. Can you take a better close up of one?
Last edited by DerekB; Jun 06, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Jul 2010
458 Posts
Quote:

Pannoch, I am so proud to see another 737 with spoilers I could cry. Well, not really, I'm just not that emotional.

But you sir, are only the second to build operational spoilers- you have joined an exclusive club. And, as we all know, chics (Sheilas) dig spoilers.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Jul 2010
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
I don't mean to scare you off, but it's a lot of work.
Alternatively, one can simply go with Oracal 751C and get almost as smooth a finish, in three easy steps:

1) Peel back of vinyl off to reveal the adhesive side.
2) Press adhesive vinyl to completely unprepared foam- a hairdryer helps make it more plyable.
3) In a cup with ice, pour two shots of 10 Cane Rum, then add three parts Dole orange/peach/mango juice, and finally, one half shot of Myers Dark Rum <or> Krakken Dark Spiced Rum on top. Repeat as desired.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:48 PM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
[QUOTE=Doug W;21825199]Pannoch, I am so proud to see another 737 with spoilers I could cry. Well, not really, I'm just not that emotional.

Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:21 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Alternatively, one can simply go with Oracal 751C and get almost as smooth a finish, in three easy steps:

2) Press adhesive vinyl to completely unprepared foam- a hairdryer helps make it more plyable.
3) In a cup with ice, pour two shots of 10 Cane Rum, then add three parts Dole orange/peach/mango juice, and finally, one half shot of Myers Dark Rum <or> Krakken Dark Spiced Rum on top. Repeat as desired.
I agree totally. I'm fried.

I'm building my next 737 at your house . You better stock up.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:18 AM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:

Best build ever...
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Jul 2010
458 Posts
Quote:

Pannoch, can you post a trailing edge view of the wing with the spoilers?