Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,536 Posts
See 3 simple steps as attached drawing. First glue two pcs 3mm pylwood inside the bay MUST USE HOT GLUE, plus in the servo into the servo bay, install the whole retract unit(stock builded) by 4 pcs of screw, last is connect the streeling wire between the servo arm to retract control horn. I can do it within 10 mins.

Ming Lou
Ming is online now Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:35 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Doug, do you have a picture or description on slats set up? I've been trying to figure out a simple and elegant way of making slats for years with no success. It is still very exotic thing to see on RC planes and not much information out there.
Let me get a photo or two as a idea for you as to what I did. The secret is offset, buried hinges. There is probably a much easier way to do what I am doing, but I am yet to find something as cheap, quick or simple. One wing takes about an hour, tops.

Just a suggestion, but I use (of all things) those $7.99 kid's gliders with the 4' wingspan you can get at most drugstores for all my test aircraft. I would highly suggest getting a cheapy foam airplane like the kid's gliders and trying out building the slats before hacking into Ming's beautiful airplane.

Gimme the weekend on the photos.
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:17 AM
Joined Sep 2005
842 Posts
please enjoy.

Three Windrider Boeing 737 rock the cool and windy sky of HK.

windrider boeing 737 (7 min 26 sec)

REgards

Rocky
X-flight
X-flight is offline Find More Posts by X-flight
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:52 AM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Very Nice Video X-Flight!
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
That video of the three 737s in on the ground in preflight looks aircraft delivery line up at Boeing Field...
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:09 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
Nice video!
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:51 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
very cool! so which was the best setup of the 3?
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:34 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,536 Posts
Suggest 3300mAh 3S battery X 2 pcs.
Use 35A ESC.
Scorpion HKII2221-8(3595kv) motor.

Ming Lou
Ming is online now Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Let me get a photo or two as a idea for you as to what I did. The secret is offset, buried hinges. There is probably a much easier way to do what I am doing, but I am yet to find something as cheap, quick or simple. One wing takes about an hour, tops.

Just a suggestion, but I use (of all things) those $7.99 kid's gliders with the 4' wingspan you can get at most drugstores for all my test aircraft. I would highly suggest getting a cheapy foam airplane like the kid's gliders and trying out building the slats before hacking into Ming's beautiful airplane.

Gimme the weekend on the photos.
Sergey,

Below is a quick (sort of) tutorial on how to make working slats for foamie RC aircraft. I assume a full working knowledge aerodynamically of the purpose of leading edge slats, and the more commonly found type. As I recall, 737s have Krueger flaps (slats) inboard of the engine and traditional slats outboard. It is the traditional type of slats that I illustrate here- the tougher ones to make- those that extend from the leading edge of the wing downward. They were initially a bugger to build and took me a while to figure out a relatively simple system. My workshop looked like a mini-Edwards AFB for several weeks while I experimented with different versions.

1. Cut the leading edge of the wing at a slight angle downwards from the upper surface to the lower. I put tape on to ensure a straight cut and mark my lines.

2. Once separated from each other, sand the newly created leading edge of the wing to a high-lift airfoil. (Imagine making it clean enough that you could fly this thing without slats at all. You are shortening chord, but making the airfoil thicker in shape.)

3. Sand (very carefully) your removed leading edge. It is now very flimsy so care must be taken. Sand the after portion concave- I use a simple jar wrapped in sandpaper- 320 grit. Sand the upper surface completely flat so it will accept a nice thin piece of depron (which itself will later be sanded)

4. Foam-safe CA the depron to the removed leading edge. Make it as wide as you want your slats to be- about 1.25 inches would work on the 737 I am guessing. Keep sanding the leading edge until you have a nice teardrop cross section.

5. Keep sanding leading edge and leading edge of the wing and dry fit it until you have effectively “reconstructed” the wing. It should like you never cut into your wing- I’m talking super clean.

6. Here’s the weird part- as it is all nice and fitted- tape the top portion of the slat to the upper surface of the wing, so it cannot move anything but hinged. (Basically the slat fully retracted position) This part is important because every bit of fitting hinges hereafter is in pursuit of having the leading edge slat return to the “clean” retracted position nicely, with no gaps.

7. Lift the taped slat up. Add reinforcement (thin balsa) the full length. This is a requirement or you’ll have floppy slats (and who wants that?!)

8. Take your micro razor hinges (illustrated) and cut them as shown. Quite a bit needs to be remove from them so they are just triangles.

9. Now cut two slots into that pretty leading edge (not the slat) of the wing. This is the slot that your hinges will move within.

10. Attach the slat hinge to the slat itself. I use CA to balsa. You’ll want to use small fitting blocks of balsa to get the angle just right.

11. Cut into the foamie wing with a razor blade for the fixed portion of the hinge (the matching non-moveable part).

12. Mount the hinge backwards for which it was designed (illustrated.) Basically you just push it up into the wing (don’t push it through the top of the wing!) and then foam-safe CA it when you like where it is. The foam will hold it nicely during fitting before final CA.

13. Pin your hinge with, well, a pin. (This is a test fit pin, and can later be replaced with pretty much any pin-style hinge you want).

14. Test the movement. It should cleanly come downwards, no rubbing, scrapping, binding etc. It is effectively moving in a nice clean and proper slat arc, without using rails. It is simply offset hinges.

15. Admire your work. Yes, admire it. It is totally cool to roll out onto the runway, throw on company lights and lower slats and flaps one for takeoff on your RC airplane.

16. Listen to the Ooo’s and Ahh’s as your plane easily out climbs obstacles, and lands more slowly than a park flyer.

Now I purposely didn’t put the servo mounting because there is hundreds of ways to put the servo it- that’s your call totally on the location, as some like to use one servo for flaps and slats. I prefer two (or three) frankly. Also, as an aside, do not forget wing flex! I always first fit the whole slat, and then cut it in half (or two places) as it can bind on retraction and deployment and not deploy properly. Asymmetric lift on takeoff or landing equals roll rate. So cut it in half at least.

Hope this helps!!

-DW
Last edited by Doug W; Jan 26, 2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Problem with Photos
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:55 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Doug, there seem to be problems with image attachments. The email server requires authentication to your email account. If you want you can send images to me and I will attach them inline with the text.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:32 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
EDF Test Stand

This is what I spent last four nights on. EDF test stand. Can accommodate all sizes of EDFs - from 55m to 120mm. There is scale stand for thrust measurement, tachometer, wattmeter and infrared thermometer. Made from 9.5mm shatterproof Lexan. It will stop pretty much any projectile in case of EDF unit disintegration.

As soon as ESC arrive I am all set to test sickle fan on 3W motor
Last edited by _Sergey_; Jan 25, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:32 PM
Joined Jul 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Doug, there seem to be problems with image attachments. The email server requires authentication to your email account. If you want you can send images to me and I will attach them inline with the text.
Darn it! Yep, PM me an email address and I'll send yoy the photos for attachment.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:42 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotor View Post
Just for the fun of it, let me tell you some things about the 737NG cockpit. ...
Thank you Fotor! That was very interesting information about the cockpit! I wish I have your office with six panels. My desk only has three...

Anybody know of a good picture of cockpit, instruments, overhead panel that can be used to print a decal?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:22 PM
Watts Up?
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
Quote:
This is what I spent last four nights on. EDF test stand. Can accommodate all sizes of EDFs - from 55m to 120mm. There is scale stand for thrust measurement, tachometer, wattmeter and infrared thermometer. Made from 9.5mm shatterproof Lexan. It will stop pretty much any projectile in case of EDF unit disintegration.

As soon as ESC arrive I am all set to test sickle fan on 3W motor
THats ONE MEAN A** test stand!!! MAN!! That looks freakin sweet!
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:23 PM
Norway, Akershus, As
Joined Apr 2007
161 Posts
Suddenly this page is whining about I need to log in to mail.galvinpilot.com....
Lars N is offline Find More Posts by Lars N