SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:13 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,663 Posts
Yes, the Boeing one on video is using 10000mAh total for first flight.
A good pilot never fill the oil tank full.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Ming; Jan 19, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:45 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Got my servos and motors yesterday.

The EMax ES08MA are not quiet by any means. Actually louder than HXT 900. But they sound right for metal gear servo and look very nice! I am curious how different are they going to behave on 6V vs 4.8V.

The HET 3W motors look fabulous! They have such a strong cog it it hard to turn them by finger! But the most important thing that was worrying me most is they are dynamically balanced! Yes dynamically balanced inrunner! If you look inside through the hole you can see where they drilled holes in the side of rotor. I have very good feeling about these motors

Last two evening were spent on EDF test stand. It's almost ready. Need to install sliding Lexan cover, put scale holder and tachometer.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:47 AM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Ben E I totally agree with you. Me my self dont need flaps to make a nose up landing. In order for that to happen it takes practice. If you are not familiar with flying a low wing airliner with flaps your first landing may become your last The proper approach speed for the aircraft will give you a nice nose up landing anyways. A sorry approach leads to a sorry landing. Flaps or not. Guys take a look at this landing by Ming no flaps. Skip the video to 1:50 and watch the approach and followed by a good landing.

Windrider 1.9 meter Boeing 737 EDF Jet Maiden in Kai Tak2010-10-17.wmv (2 min 27 sec)
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,663 Posts
Believe it or not, this 737 is most easy landing plane I fly RC plane so far.
She seem to land by herself and aim to the runway everytime.
Flap is no need for me.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:25 AM
Norway, Akershus, As
Joined Apr 2007
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
Flap is no need for me.

Ming Lou
Do have any videos of the model stalling? It would be nice to see how it behaves in low speed etc...
Lars N is offline Find More Posts by Lars N
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Got my servos and motors yesterday.

The EMax ES08MA are not quiet by any means. Actually louder than HXT 900. But they sound right for metal gear servo and look very nice! I am curious how different are they going to behave on 6V vs 4.8V.

The HET 3W motors look fabulous! They have such a strong cog it it hard to turn them by finger! But the most important thing that was worrying me most is they are dynamically balanced! Yes dynamically balanced inrunner! If you look inside through the hole you can see where they drilled holes in the side of rotor. I have very good feeling about these motors

Last two evening were spent on EDF test stand. It's almost ready. Need to install sliding Lexan cover, put scale holder and tachometer.
Test for heat buildup on the motor housing. Inrunners can be melting machines.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Landing techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie2008 View Post
Ben E I totally agree with you. Me my self dont need flaps to make a nose up landing. In order for that to happen it takes practice. If you are not familiar with flying a low wing airliner with flaps your first landing may become your last The proper approach speed for the aircraft will give you a nice nose up landing anyways. A sorry approach leads to a sorry landing. Flaps or not
Rookie, I am very interested in learning proper airliner's landing techniques. Would you be so kind to elaborate on how to do it right?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Rookie, I am very interested in learning proper airliner's landing techniques. Would you be so kind to elaborate on how to do it right?
I start with a prayer
You land just fine btw.

B-777 RC Delta II Smoooth landing (1 min 12 sec)

Boeing 777 RC Extreme Crosswind Landing (0 min 42 sec)
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Last edited by Naval Warfare; Jan 19, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:33 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Oh it's very simple, just keep the nose up, let the mains touch down, then gease the runway.

Just kidding.

Flaps will make this model look nicer, but may not be necessary.
I agree with Ming:
Flap is no need for me.
Ming Lou

I fly 3D. So I am very picky for any added weight.
I'd rather not add weight on the 737, IF possible.
Keeping the model as light as possible is always on top of my priority.
Though, 35-40 grams extra (for flaps) on this model, should be unnoticeable. But still, don't find it necessary.

Rookie, we need to start building those planes and fly 'em.
We need more 737s in action!
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Yes I know I leave on Friday morning on a 737-8 A/A. I will be there in my shorts and straw hat with my new Futaba in hand.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:47 PM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Sergey this is what i do when Landing. I try to keep the plane upwind from me. "If you allow it to get too far downwind at the end of the flight it may not have enough power for you to bring it back to land. When it is time to land, keep the wings level and land straight into the wind. Throttle back and allow the plane to descend gradually. Don't dive toward the ground or you'll increase the planes speed and make it difficult to land gently. Just as the plane is about to touch down, gently apply up-elevator to keep its nose up slightly". This is a simple but very easy technique to use. I am sure we all fly like this just have to keep in mind a slow or low idle coming in and she will descend on her own with a little up elevator and a smooth nose up TOUCHDOWN!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:29 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Thank you Rookie! I think what you described is probably the best technique.

I use three, based on place I fly.

1. What Rookie said, when there is enough space to make a low altitude turn to final leg.

TIP. Always fly above trees/building/any obstacle line. Even if you think they are far enough from the model. Perception of distance can be deceiving. Ask me how many planes it took to learn that simple fact.

2. When there are trees not far from the landing strip I use quick dive method from above the tree line. On final leg turn engine on idle and do a nose dive. Level the plane 3-4 feet above the landing strip. At this point plane has enough momentum to glide along the ground. When it starts dropping the altitude slightly move elevator up to keep it level just a feet above the ground. Keep increasing elevator up to 100% until touch down. Use throttle to control touch down point.

3. High alpha approach. So far I used it on my F-15 only. Decrease throttle and speed to the level when 50%-70% up elevator keeps plane flying horizontally. Stabilize it there by adjusting throttle level. The plane will fly nose up and slow. Use throttle to control descend speed, ailerons to keep wings level and rudder to turn. Keep elevator in the same position all the time. Elevator position will set how slow plane will fly. Pilot needs to know plane's stall characteristic and what safe alpha is before trying landing it this way.

So... when you use any flavor of high alpha landing or combination of high alpha and other styles flaps will play a tremendous role to dynamics of the plane. Flaps will reduce stall speed, will slow down plane much faster on dive landing, will reduce max AoA, will increase drag and allow higher RPMs to much more finely control vertical speed. Does this plane need flaps? No. Do you want to extend and try different landing possibilities and speeds? How about scale factor?
Last edited by _Sergey_; Jan 19, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:52 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
Good one. Let's do it!
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:55 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
481 Posts
Two last items on landing I suggest (as both a full scale pilot and Rc pilot).

1) Trim the airplane such that with power off and hands off, it will glide in a normal attitude and will not "hunt" up and down for the right glide speed. Basically, in a no wind condition, if you took your right hand off the elevator control, it should not nose dive or climb- that means it is trimmed incorrectly. I set up my edfs whereas if I let go of the controller (and I demonstrate this all the time), the plane will virtually land itself. Once you have figured out where the sweet spot is on the trim, the landing is a cakewalk.

2) For an airliner edf, I also suggest carrying a slight amount of power all through final, as you can actually fly more slowly (and at a higher angle of attack) with power than power off.

As for flaps or other highlift devices, it is all opinion and each one is valid, based on individual needs. I like flaps personally because I fly foamy edfs off my neighborhood street I live in (which is perhaps not so wise I admit). I use flaps and slats to outclimb the tree line, fly at absurdly low speeds for a swept wing aircraft, and use flaps heavily to tighten my base to final over the cul-de-sac without stalling.

Again, I do not in any way suggest others do this, I am just lucky to have several fellow full-scale pilots (and kids) in my neighborhood that think it's just great.
Doug W is online now Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Jan 20, 2011, 01:40 AM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Flaps... This seems to be a very interesting topic and I would like to thank you guys for sharing your idea and different ways on landing an airliner nose up. Although it would not be bad if some one would attempt to add flaps,as I would like to see how the plane reacts with or with out flaps. I have to agree strongly with Sergey the most important thing is and I quote " Pilot needs to know plane's stall characteristic". Any one else have other ideas or advice. Always looking to learn new things.