HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2011, 10:22 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie2008 View Post
Flex have you decide to keep your 737?? or you plane to sell it still?
1 day left on auction with about 20 snipers on standby.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 08:01 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
737 Build

My 737 is now built and tested on the ground. All seems well so it's off to the paint booth now. Will be some time before you get to see it here. We have something special in mind for the livery.

I don't have a way to weigh mine just yet, but I think I am in the 7 lb area using one 3c 5000ma battery. I also have plans to try 4c 5000 as well.

With these big batteries, I have a real hard time soldering on the Deans Ultra connectors to the large gage cable that comes with these batteries. I have a 120w soldering gun, but it can't heat the cable very well at all. Any good ideas out there? I just ordered an adaptor to go from the 4mm banana plug to the deans. Not sure the cable will stand up to the amp draw?

Anyone else have these problems?

Scott
scottd9990 is offline Find More Posts by scottd9990
Old May 12, 2011, 08:18 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Scott, when soldering touch the wire and dean's contact with mlted drop of solder on iron tip. This will make heat transfer much better than dry tip.

I would use 4mm banana connector instead of dean. Much better for high current applications.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old May 12, 2011, 08:20 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,660 Posts
Scott;
Sergy is right. I'm not impressed with Deans for any AMP draw over 60. On both of my 4S5000's I prefer to use the 5mm pin/socket from Castle. 4mm would work O.K. as Sergy said, but my 5000's came with 5mm.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old May 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Pulsery2k1 How is U.S Airways coming along?
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Old May 13, 2011, 12:17 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexserve View Post
1 day left on auction with about 20 snipers on standby.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Well I'm the one who got it. A great deal thanks!!!! I didn't know if I could afford it until wed. night. I put a max bid in for $725 just in case.

I sure hope it's insured. I'd hate for this Jet to be the first damaged one I get. Also if you can send the tracking # number my way so I can be here when it's delivered. Thanks!
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old May 13, 2011, 01:26 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
Well I'm the one who got it. A great deal thanks!!!! I didn't know if I could afford it until wed. night. I put a max bid in for $725 just in case.

I sure hope it's insured. I'd hate for this Jet to be the first damaged one I get. Also if you can send the tracking # number my way so I can be here when it's delivered. Thanks!

Congrats and no problem! I will insure it for you. It will hit the UPS store in a few days or so. I might ship the LiPos in a separate box since they are heavy and could "flop around" in the larger one (which would not be good for the rest of plane). Please take care of her and post pics! (I feel like I'm losing a cat or dog here..LOL). I'll throw some reflective (Chrome) Vinyl tape in for your leading edges , just bought it for this plane anyways. Use if ya like. Thanks.
Old May 13, 2011, 06:32 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Thanks!

Yea it would probly be a good idea to have them seperate. They are heavy. I've have a 5000mah bat for my C-47. Two more will really be nice for the C-47 & the 737. ( Sorry Rookie2008 I'll need the batteries.)

Now I just have to figure out what Livery I want. I did want to do Frontier Airlines & one of the animals on the tail however I found out thay don't fly the 737.

Don't worry, I'll have plenty of video & photos. You can subsrcibe to my Youtube Ch. to keep up to date.

Here's the latest vid of my C-47.

"Venom" C-47 Skytrain Second Flight 5-8-2011 (6 min 49 sec)
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old May 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
Thanks!

Yea it would probly be a good idea to have them seperate. They are heavy. I've have a 5000mah bat for my C-47. Two more will really be nice for the C-47 & the 737. ( Sorry Rookie2008 I'll need the batteries.)

Now I just have to figure out what Livery I want. I did want to do Frontier Airlines & one of the animals on the tail however I found out thay don't fly the 737.

Don't worry, I'll have plenty of video & photos. You can subsrcibe to my Youtube Ch. to keep up to date.

Here's the latest vid of my C-47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eibR..._order&list=UL
I'll send what I have of the Qantas decals. Most were peeled from shipping..but I will send just in case.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:03 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,660 Posts
EDF/ESC Test Runup

Thought I'd better do this before nacelles were glued together and attached to the wing. I clamped each one upside down by it's plywood "spar" in my heavy bench vise.

EDF: E-flite Delta V

Motor: E-flite 15/3600kv

ESC: Turnigy dlux 70A

LiPo: Turnigy 4S/5000 mAh/40-50C

After 30-40 seconds of run, 849 watts/60.5 amps!

The other EDF/ESC produced nearly identical results. So, with total watts of over 1600, I guess I have overpowered this bird. Maybe takeoff at 2/3rds throttle and cruise at less than half?

ESC's got kinda warm (180 degrees) at WOT, so I may consider NOT installing them all the way recessed in those pockets. Maybe elevate them slightly so the cool looking fined heat sinks will catch some airflow???

-Gary
Old May 15, 2011, 12:10 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Gary you may try playing with ESC timing settings. Some settings can make lowers amps and bringing temp down.
Old May 15, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Gary you may try playing with ESC timing settings. Some settings can make lowers amps and bringing temp down.
As I recall, lower timing should decrease performance/watts?
Supposedly, this ESC was factory set at "Auto" I'll see if I can read music and set it to low or very low later today.

This is the unit http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16366

Thanks, Sergy
Old May 15, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,660 Posts
Lowering the ESC Temp

I managed to reprogram the ESC's from the so called AUTO (default) for timing to medium (could not get the correct music for "low".......there are more tunes being played by the ESC than are listed on the instruction sheet!....I hate it when they introduce a new device before its unique program card is released )

Anyway, the new timing lowered the amp draw from 60 to 50, lowered the watts from 850 to 705 and the ESC temp did not exceed 62c.
Last edited by bamaguy; May 15, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:30 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Nice! This is what you wanted, right?
Old May 16, 2011, 11:26 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Nice! This is what you wanted, right?
Yes, indeed! I certainly did not need 1700 total watts to fly this plane. 1400 should be more than adequate. And, thanks for reminding me to check/adjust ESC timing!