New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old May 09, 2011, 06:57 PM
bamaguy is offline
Find More Posts by bamaguy
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
bamaguy's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,979 Posts
Yea!! Mine arrived today. In perfect condition!

Couple of questions for those who have assembled and flown this bird.
1) did you use epoxy in the recommended areas in the instructions (I thought epoxy joints were a little "iffy" in styrofoam....or maybe it's fine with this EPO foam??
2) if you used hot glue for the retract mounts and the engine pods, was it the "low" temp or the "regular" temp type?
3) did your retract gear have a thermoplastic or metal piece which holds the LG wire?

Thanks
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 09:35 AM
bsbauman is online now
Find More Posts by bsbauman
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
bsbauman's Avatar
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,545 Posts
I have not built one of these; but from my experience, always use the "low" temp on foam otherwise it will melt
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2011, 09:54 AM
bamaguy is offline
Find More Posts by bamaguy
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
bamaguy's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,979 Posts
Plywood engine bearers

Have not seen this mentioned within this forum (or in the instructions).....I just found out the hard way that the 4 pieces of plywood for the bearers are of two different thicknesses! Of course I now have one bearer a little too thick and the other a little too thin. No way that I can separate them as I glued them last night with acrylic white wood glue.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 09:54 AM
_Sergey_ is offline
Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Ugly planes do not fly
_Sergey_'s Avatar
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
1) did you use epoxy in the recommended areas in the instructions (I thought epoxy joints were a little "iffy" in styrofoam....or maybe it's fine with this EPO foam??
I used 3M77 to join fuse parts, fix stabs and engines. The only place I used epoxy was wing mounting nut glued to the plywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
2) if you used hot glue for the retract mounts and the engine pods, was it the "low" temp or the "regular" temp type?
Low temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
3) did your retract gear have a thermoplastic or metal piece which holds the LG wire?
Aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Thanks
You are very welcome
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 09:59 AM
_Sergey_ is offline
Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Ugly planes do not fly
_Sergey_'s Avatar
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
[Have not seen this mentioned within this forum (or in the instructions).....I just found out the hard way that the 4 pieces of plywood for the bearers are of two different thicknesses! Of course I now have one bearer a little too thick and the other a little too thin. No way that I can separate them as I glued them last night with acrylic white wood glue.]
Yeah, I noticed there is no mentioning about that in the instructions. Had to scratch my head... You can cut along the glue line and squeeze another plate inside. Use long blade or sharp fillet kitchen knife.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 10:33 AM
Ming is online now
Find More Posts by Ming
Ming's Avatar
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,922 Posts
Quote:
Plywood engine bearers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have not seen this mentioned within this forum (or in the instructions).....I just found out the hard way that the 4 pieces of plywood for the bearers are of two different thicknesses! Of course I now have one bearer a little too thick and the other a little too thin. No way that I can separate them as I glued them last night with acrylic white wood glue.

Don't worry.
Send you a new set of plywood ASAP.
It cost nothing for me.

Ming Lou
Ming is online now Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 08:19 PM
bamaguy is offline
Find More Posts by bamaguy
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
bamaguy's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,979 Posts
Engine Bearers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
Don't worry.
Send you a new set of plywood ASAP.
It cost nothing for me.

Ming Lou
Thanks for your response, Ming! I hope you got my later E-mail as there is no need to send replacements. I was able to sand the excess thickness from the "fat one" and I had some thin veneer walnut that I added to the thin bearer. Every thing now fits like a glove.

A suggestion: You might consider adding a note in with the instructions to the effect that "each engine bearer is made up of one 3mm piece and one 2mm piece as each engine bearer is to have a total thickness of 5mm"

You are to be congratulated on the overall engineering and quality of this "kit" I have never seen anything in foam look this good!
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 08:39 PM
Ming is online now
Find More Posts by Ming
Ming's Avatar
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,922 Posts
Quote:
A suggestion: You might consider adding a note in with the instructions to the effect that "each engine bearer is made up of one 3mm piece and one 2mm piece as each engine bearer is to have a total thickness of 5mm"
Done! thank you very much for your suggestion.
Insert the 5mm plywood engine bearer into slot on the nacelle. Secure with epoxy.
5mm engine bearer is made up of one 3mm piece and one 2mm piece.
Ming is online now Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 10:41 PM
bamaguy is offline
Find More Posts by bamaguy
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
bamaguy's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,979 Posts
You're most welcome, Ming.

BTW, my 737 will be done with the Alaska Airlines livery, thanks to www.callie-graphics.com

I'll send you photos in about 10 days.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011, 10:50 PM
Doug W is offline
Find More Posts by Doug W
Registered User
Doug W's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
You're most welcome, Ming.

BTW, my 737 will be done with the Alaska Airlines livery, thanks to www.callie-graphics.com

I'll send you photos in about 10 days.
C'mon now Bamaguy! Mine wil be Alaska -700!! That's just not fair!
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 05:45 PM
Flexserve is offline
Find More Posts by Flexserve
Avoid The Ground!
Flexserve's Avatar
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
Done! thank you very much for your suggestion.
Insert the 5mm plywood engine bearer into slot on the nacelle. Secure with epoxy.
5mm engine bearer is made up of one 3mm piece and one 2mm piece.

Can we get an updated download of instructions???
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 06:46 PM
_Sergey_ is offline
Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Ugly planes do not fly
_Sergey_'s Avatar
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexserve View Post
can we get an updated download of instructions???
lol
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 08:26 PM
Flexserve is offline
Find More Posts by Flexserve
Avoid The Ground!
Flexserve's Avatar
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
lol
I don't understand the humor?
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
_Sergey_ is offline
Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Ugly planes do not fly
_Sergey_'s Avatar
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexserve View Post
I don't understand the humor?
Sorry... Out of context job specific topic that coincided with my boss'es request.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 10:03 PM
Rookie2008 is offline
Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Registered User
Rookie2008's Avatar
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Flex have you decide to keep your 737?? or you plane to sell it still?
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Windrider Boeing 737 Ming Scale Kit/Scratch Built 636 Jan 22, 2015 11:16 PM
New Product Boeing 737 philipcmf Foamy EDFs 83 Jan 16, 2011 09:03 AM
Discussion Windrider Boeing 737-700 could be a good glider Ming Slope 44 Jan 06, 2011 07:47 PM
Boeing 737 jermaine Foamies (Kits) 6 Apr 08, 2002 11:21 PM