HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2011, 01:11 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
437 Posts
Video: Flaps and Spoilers (in action!)

Other than canoe fairings and putting on the shiny metal leading edges, wings are done. I have finally put together a video of flaps and spoiler operation...

RC 737 Flaps and Spoilers (Windrider) (0 min 40 sec)
Doug W is online now Find More Posts by Doug W
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 01:57 AM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
What a fantastic job on the wings. I have to say very SCALE! How effective will the spoilers really be? That's going to be one sharp 737 fully loaded.
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Old May 08, 2011, 05:55 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,130 Posts
Slaps and spoilers look gold. Hos do they when the wing is flexing under load?

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old May 08, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Aug 2007
12 Posts
anyone has tried it on grass runway?
gianly87 is offline Find More Posts by gianly87
Old May 08, 2011, 09:50 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Doug, I saw you posted video on flaps and interceptors. I have to study it and reply with my "wow, that's so cool!" tomorrow Meanwhile attached is the picture of how to connect BEC to the battery and Rx. I hope it helps.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old May 08, 2011, 11:19 PM
Joined Jul 2010
437 Posts
Second to last question I swear... So if I am going with one 4S 5000 lipos on my initial few flights vs. two, can I just plug it into either battery connector? And when I decide to use two 4S 5000 lipos, I just plug in both?

I would assume that based on that wiring set up, either battery in "seen" by both ESCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Doug, I saw you posted video on flaps and interceptors. I have to study it and reply with my "wow, that's so cool!" tomorrow Meanwhile attached is the picture of how to connect BEC to the battery and Rx. I hope it helps.
Old May 09, 2011, 12:49 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,587 Posts
Doug

What a crazy job done should not happan on foamy plane.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old May 09, 2011, 02:06 AM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
Doug, that is one hell of a job there! Looks good and I am curious to hear how it works during flight especially the landing.

I saw your covererd your wings with vinyl. How much weight did it add to each surface?

I just finished covering the elevators and rudder and had 53 grams of additional weight which seems to be on the high side.
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old May 09, 2011, 03:55 AM
SJ
Denmark EKCH
Joined Apr 2001
1,492 Posts
Doug, now you just have to mix the outboard spoilers to the ailerons....that would be nice and scale :-)
SJ is offline Find More Posts by SJ
Old May 09, 2011, 08:27 AM
Joined Jul 2010
437 Posts
I'm not kidding but I factored in wing flex. The outboard most spoilers actually rest fully flush with the surface when the wing is under load. The outboard flaps have a small carbon fiber spar built in as well- all for wing flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_E View Post
Slaps and spoilers look gold. Hos do they when the wing is flexing under load?

Ben_E
Last edited by Doug W; May 09, 2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 09, 2011, 08:34 AM
Joined Jul 2010
437 Posts
53 grams seems high to me...Keep in mind that I picked up much more total weight in flap and spoiler servos (8 total), wiring harnesses, and the spoilers themselves that adding the 2 mil vinyl weight was minimal by comparison. It's like eating at McDonalds- it's already unhealthy, so you may as well eat the fries too.

I'll see when I get to AUW, but I feel that I have more than compensated additional weight through lift (flaps) and thrust (HET 2W-20/6904EDF/75A ESC/4S power). In sum, I'm guessing I picked up 30-40g per wing in vinyl weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly! View Post
Doug, that is one hell of a job there! Looks good and I am curious to hear how it works during flight especially the landing.

I saw your covererd your wings with vinyl. How much weight did it add to each surface?

I just finished covering the elevators and rudder and had 53 grams of additional weight which seems to be on the high side.
Old May 09, 2011, 09:28 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Second to last question I swear... So if I am going with one 4S 5000 lipos on my initial few flights vs. two, can I just plug it into either battery connector? And when I decide to use two 4S 5000 lipos, I just plug in both?

I would assume that based on that wiring set up, either battery in "seen" by both ESCs.
That is correct. One will work as well as two. They are in parallel. Don't repeat mistake I made once: I thought I connected two batteries but in reality it was only one. Good thing it was ground engine run test. The 2.2Ah battery got hot after 1.5 minutes of full throttle running both motors.
Old May 09, 2011, 09:28 AM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
Doug, did you cover the wings on both sides?
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old May 09, 2011, 09:54 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Other than canoe fairings and putting on the shiny metal leading edges, wings are done. I have finally put together a video of flaps and spoiler operation...
Doug, the flaps and spoilers job is awesome! I can't wait to see how they perform on landing. Must be spectacular show.

As SJ said it would be very cool to mix outboard spoilers to ailerons when flaps are down. Besides scale factor this may actually help when flaps are deployed and landing speed is too slow to make ailerons responsive enough. I've read someone did such a mix that spoilers help ailerons when aileron moves beyond 50% mark.
Old May 09, 2011, 05:22 PM
Joined Jul 2010
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly! View Post
Doug, did you cover the wings on both sides?
Not quite yet, but I will be covering the bottom this week, after I pick up some "polished metal looking" type vinyl for the LE. Some of it is already covered in section on the bottom. The entire upper surface is one piece of vinyl, cut to shape, while the bottom will be larger "panels" of vinyl, overlapped at corners so if I have to work on wiring, servos, spars, etc., it is easy mx access.

-D