HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:10 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
lololololololololololololololololollololololololol ololololololololololololololololololololololololol olololololol
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:22 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly! View Post
Sergey,
I have the BP fans and have not yet tested them. How sure are you that the vibrations came from the runway surface and not from the fan unit itself?

I will be flying only from a hard surface and would like to have at least some peace of mind knowing that these fans are save to use on our relative mild setup. How well balanced were they when you got them?

Thanks,
Highfly, unbalanced fan in failed engine #1 was vibrating at 0.987 m/s^2. After I dynamically balanced it the vibration was reduced to 0.081 m/s^2 or 98.1% improvement. The rest of vibration was coming from strong cogging typical for HET 3W motors and nonlinear vibration contribution factors i.e. uneven densities of the blades etc.

I sound like a nerd...
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:30 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugFlyer View Post
Sergey...good to hear your 737 was a hit at SEFF, I knew it would be!

Sorry about the fan coming apart but like you said better on the runway than airborne!

I didn't see on the EffluxRC website where they sell the 8 Blade fan separately, can you pm me the link?
Also do you have any updated pics of your 737 completed or at SEFF?

Thanks,

-Rick
Rick, I emailed the owner of EffluxRC, who is apparently a good friend of our mutual friend Naval Warfare He sent me a quote for parts and shipping. If you guys are interested we can try to get a discount for several orders.

Unfortunately I do not have new pics of the plane. It is pretty much same as during the maiden with addition of windows cut off.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:50 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post
_Sergey_

See I told you you should be flying a real one , you just did
your first rejected takeoff (and in front of a crowd)
did the faliure occur before V-1 or between V-1 and V-2
I'm sure The NTSB is going to want to listen to the CVR
tape.
I'm not sure if its Certification is for single engine operation?

Did you check the fan housing for possiable bug strike?

it great it happened on the ground had it happened after
liftoff I not sure it would fly on one fan.

our club field is grass , so I know I need to get less stiffness
in those struts. I wish there was a nice paved runway close by
Pulsery, the aborted take off was definitely before V1 or NTSB would not want to hear the recording... I highly doubt it is possible to take off this plane with one engine. When fan disintegrated the working engine had strong enough thrust to turn the plane 45 degrees by the time I reacted and shut it down.

This is what visual inspection of the destroyed and the other engine showed:

The reason the engine had failure was a crack in the spinner. The spinner had failed, its part hit the blades and they broke off. The other spinner I have in the engine has a small crack from the screw going toward the fan. The mystery is solved.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:44 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
Sergey, I may be interested in the EffluxRC fan especially if they can give a "friendly" price. PM me if it can be arranged. Luckily I can still return the BP Hobbies fans.
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:58 AM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsery2k1 View Post
Fotor

thanks for the video , they still seem very stiff,
but it was nice to see the forces on them and your landing's
looked very good
The gears certainly take a beating during takeoff and landing, but now they seem to endure it without permanent deformation.
And thank you for the compliment
Fotor is offline Find More Posts by Fotor
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,663 Posts
New video:
Windrider Boeing 737 Russia color (2 min 25 sec)

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
Fly hard / land soft
Sweden
Joined Jul 2008
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_E View Post
I have several SAS planes, and have all the files that Ming might need to mace a decal set. Just let me know Ming!

Ben_E
To Ben_E .

maybe you could send me the files?, i got a singcut and just uppdate the licens key, so now i can cut out decals myself in .EPS format

My Email is : david.linander@hotmail.com
David Linander is offline Find More Posts by David Linander
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:12 PM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
400 Posts
And another movie

Today I have been flying again, practicing touch and go's. I must have some 30 landings now with this model, and it's great fun. I am enjoying this model so much. I'm getting quite comfortable with the model.
CG is now 2,5 cm behind 50%root, and it still doesn't feel like I'm on the limit.
The (standard Chinese) fans came with quite some imbalance, but after balancing the sound is sweet. The motors give a smooth hum and you can sometimes hear the airflow from the engines.

Little movie below with a lot of landings. Skip some if you like, but be sure to watch the last one at 5'45, it's approaching the perfect landing.
Windrider Boeing 737 touch and go's (6 min 19 sec)
Last edited by Fotor; Apr 19, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,859 Posts
Fotor

Good flying great video

thank's
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:19 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Fotor, fantastic video! The best thing is take offs and landings, you put them all together and you get a hit! 5'45 landing is simply perfect.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:09 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,628 Posts
Great video and great flying Fotor! How is your LG holding up after all those landings? Have you made any modifications to reinforse them?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:15 PM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
400 Posts
I replaced the 3mm wires inside with 3mm stainless steel to stop them from bending and I shortened the springs to lessen the pretension. So far the gears haven't let me down yet, they still function flawlessly.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:43 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming View Post
What happened to the gear? Did it fail or break off on landing?
Doug W is online now Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:42 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
481 Posts
Progress report, minor dilemma solved...

One of the suggestions that I have seen on the posts was reinforcing the wings (strengthening), especially for heavier models where wing flex may lead to premature failure. The dilemma was that a secondary spar would have to go through the engine mounts or else all the wing flex would be concentrated on the mount (not wise).

So I figured it out... I added a secondary carbon fiber spar under the wing (cut in with a saw) and then dremeled a tiny, angled rectangular hole to allow the carbon fiber to pass through the wooden engine mount and into the inboard wing section. It actually adds additional strength to the engine mounting as now there are two poles that run through it- the supplied one, inboard to outboard, and the secondary one I just added, outboard to inboard. I'll post a photo tomorrow but once I cover the bottom half of the wing with 2 mil vinyl, it will be completely invisible.

I swear every time I think I'm almost done with the wings I still have so much more to do... flaps are finally completely done (and covered with vinyl). Spoiler install on the one wing remains.

Wings are probably two weeks out still until completely done. Fuse will go quick by comparison.
Doug W is online now Find More Posts by Doug W