HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:22 AM
Joined Sep 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Why didn't they just remove the battery? Seems strange to remove the motor too.

Wow, an hour! Was that slope or thermal?
All motors are banned at the site (insurance and land access rules). It sounded like he only uses this no power allowed site, so the motor is dead weight and the prop adds drag even when folded.

It was a combo of slope in light wind and weak thermals beyond the front of the ridge. When a thermal was available people tended to fly that until it faded, then go back to gentle slope flying waiting for a new thermal.

I was surprised how well the RP hung in there. However, to do so it had to be flown carefully. No radical moves or mistakes allowed.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:01 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
How many were typically flying at one time? Was it crowded?
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
How many were typically flying at one time? Was it crowded?
Four to six others. It wasn't crowded in a thermal. After a thermal faded out avoiding others in the small slope soaring area required paying attention.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:03 AM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Gary, wonderful review! Picking up my Pro tomorrow. Looking forward flying it during SEFF LMR contest!
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old Mar 11, 2011, 01:55 PM
Honey, I got more planes!
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
Great to hear Sergey! Glad you liked it. You will like your Radian Pro even more!
ghee-grose is offline Find More Posts by ghee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:29 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Oct 2009
88 Posts
Nice Review! I have just finished setting up my radian pro bnf with my DX7. Everything works like it should, except for the left aileron. When I "turn" left it lifts up and the right aileron goes down. When I "turn" right the right aileron goes up and the left aileron stays in the middle.
I haven't flown it yet because I want to figure this out first. I set everything up according to the set-up instructions. This is the only issue I have. Every other function works as it should. What am I missing????
drktkm is offline Find More Posts by drktkm
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:39 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Fantastic vid in review, my CC just started shivering

Yet, I'm still looking for a definite answer to the question how much the higher wingloading has affected the thermalling abilities compared to the original Radian. The review is somewhat vague:

" If you are impressed with the thermalling ability of the original Radian, then you should be equally impressed when you fly the Radian Pro."

So what is the verdict? Does the PRO stand a chance against the original in pure thermalling? Is there a significant difference, or would it only show in competitions?

Oh, in the "Battery" paragraph in the review, this typo should be fixed to avoid any unnecessary confusion:

"The charger has a variable voltage knob capable of 0.3 to 2.0 amps"
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:45 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
Good catch on the voltage knob...should read "variable charge rate" instead.

As for how the Pro compares to the original Radian, I will chime in to say in the simplest terms, the Radian is EASIER to thermal than the Pro. The Pro takes more attention to make it thermal well, but I've had great success with both. I've thermalled both out to the limits of my vision (more than 2000' AGL), so it is safe to say they both thermal well.

If someone is new to sailplanes, I'd recommend the Radian over the Pro.

Does that help?

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:59 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
As for how the Pro compares to the original Radian, I will chime in to say in the simplest terms, the Radian is EASIER to thermal than the Pro. The Pro takes more attention to make it thermal well, but I've had great success with both. I've thermalled both out to the limits of my vision (more than 2000' AGL), so it is safe to say they both thermal well.

If someone is new to sailplanes, I'd recommend the Radian over the Pro.

Does that help?

Andy
Not really

Let me put it this way: under marginal thermalling conditions (I'm living up north, most of the season the thermals are modest at best) which one would you pick for a contest? And if you could 'race' them against each other (same pilot, same 'marginal' conditions) how big would you expect the difference to be (last man down)?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:03 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
Not really? Man, you're demanding, aren't you?

So you want to know which would perform the best head-to-head in the same conditions by the same pilot?

First of all, I can't fly two planes at once, so I can't say for sure. But if you put a Radian up against a Radian Pro with two similarly-skilled pilots in marginal conditions, I'd say the Radian would beat the Pro. Why do I say that? Well, because the Radian is lighter and seems floatier than the Pro. It is a little more forgiving in its flight characteristics, so I'd say it would be safe to say the Radian would beat the Pro.

Now...does THAT help?

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Not really? Man, you're demanding, aren't you?
Indeed

Quote:
So you want to know which would perform the best head-to-head in the same conditions by the same pilot?

First of all, I can't fly two planes at once, so I can't say for sure. But if you put a Radian up against a Radian Pro with two similarly-skilled pilots in marginal conditions, I'd say the Radian would beat the Pro. Why do I say that? Well, because the Radian is lighter and seems floatier than the Pro. It is a little more forgiving in its flight characteristics, so I'd say it would be safe to say the Radian would beat the Pro.

Now...does THAT help?
Andy
Yes, to a certain degree, now the only thing I need to know is by how much?

Ok, so you are saying that there is a difference, but it is not huuuge? You don't happen to be able to compare the thermalling potential to the Easy Glider Electric or the Graupner Junior S?

Btw. the fastening of the horizontal stabilizer with tape, does it hold up in the long run, given the stabilizer is removed after each session? Storing and transportation in boxes is a biggie for me, that's why the EGE is more or less out of the question (the horizontal stabilizer is fixed).
If HH asks for feedback regarding the design for the PRO mk. II , then please tell them to incorporate similar connectors Multiplex uses in the Cularis between the wings and the fuse
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,107 Posts
Andy & Gary,

Since you guys won't be catching your RPs out of the air during the SEFF LMR event, have you given any consideration to protecting the exposed servo arms and surface control horns from snagging on the grass or ground? Gary Morgan recently set up a special set of servo covers just for the Radian Pro. Check this out:

http://morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_037.htm

I tested a set on my RP yesterday and they worked great! I made 5 landings and never snagged a servo or horn. I had lots of grass almost everywhere else on my RP, but not a blade on my servo arms or control horns.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:02 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
Yes, to a certain degree, now the only thing I need to know is by how much?
I wouldn't say the margin would be that much. I just imagine the Radian pilot would have an easier time scratching around for lift than the Pro.

Quote:
Ok, so you are saying that there is a difference, but it is not huuuge? You don't happen to be able to compare the thermalling potential to the Easy Glider Electric or the Graupner Junior S?
Never flown either of those or seen them flown, so I can't compare that.

Quote:
Btw. the fastening of the horizontal stabilizer with tape, does it hold up in the long run, given the stabilizer is removed after each session? Storing and transportation in boxes is a biggie for me
I've only removed mine for replacing the stab, so I can't comment on that. If I were going to be taping/untaping each time I took the Radian out, I'd probably lay down a good layer of clear packing tape on the stab so the tape used to hold it to the fuse is bonding to tape instead of the plastic film that is laminated to the foam stab. That stuff will separate on you (that's why I had to replace my stab). Just an idea...

Quote:
If HH asks for feedback regarding the design for the PRO mk. II , then please tell them to incorporate similar connectors Multiplex uses in the Cularis between the wings and the fuse
As stated previously, I've had no issue with the wing attachment on the Pro. Or do you mean electrical connectors?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:04 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
Mike, I think I'm gonna get me a set of those servo covers. I need to talk to you more about it. The website isn't perfectly clear what you're getting with the three options. Maybe I'm just a dunce and can't figure it out (no comments).

On the other hand, I've not made up my mind which I'm going to fly in the LMR. Might just fly the original Radian.

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
As stated previously, I've had no issue with the wing attachment on the Pro. Or do you mean electrical connectors?
Yes, I meant the electrical connectors, saves preparation time. After all, Parkzone is about no-nonsense easy living in the RC-world