Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:50 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
JumpySticks:

That sounds like a great idea! A brush fire to produce a nice thermal and a way to keep warm.

e-gull
Just don't fly your foamie too low......
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:03 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I guess the thermals were not man made.
Ummm....no comment!
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:34 PM
USA, CA, San Anselmo
Joined May 2003
44 Posts
GoPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghee-grose View Post
The camera was a GoPro Hero HD taped to the rear part of the canopy of my Radian. We used a little piece of foam flat on one side and cut curved to the canopy shape on the other. A little blenderm tape and a little packing tape and it was secure.

I don't think I got any pictures of the thing mounted unfortunately.
First off, Killer footage!!!!!

Can you give any more details on the way you attached the GoPro to the R-Pro? I have both the GoPro and R-Pro and want to take some footage but would hate to lose my GoPro.

Did you use the waterproof case the Gopro come with?
Did you tape it just to the canopy or the canopy and the fuse?
Did you secure the canopy other than the stock magnets? If so how?
Any CG issues?
Pic would be sweet if you have them.
I'd love the details.
Thanks in advanced
doubleduce is offline Find More Posts by doubleduce
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:47 PM
RC Addict
Tampa Bay Area
Joined Mar 2010
12 Posts
Guys, I often tier quickly w/ on board camera but this was great from start to finish. I just brought my R-Pro home and can't wait to open the box. Actually I don't have to since your first pic's show the great packing ,etc.
hkremer is offline Find More Posts by hkremer
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:53 PM
Honey, I got more planes!
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
The GoPro mounting method was probably not the best way to do it....but as you can see in the video, it worked.

Here's how I did it. Cell phone pic attached. (most of the tape was removed though. I just went to the garage to put it on there to show you where it sits)

I didn't use the protective case. I taped the camera to the piece of foam with a little blenderm and packing tape on each side and a little on the front and back. Then I taped that to the canopy. Then I secured the canopy in place by a couple pieces of packing tape on each side of the canopy. This was I can remove the canopy without removing all the tape that hold the camera. Also if I wanted to I could switch the canopy over to the Radian Pro and use it as a camera ship. *haven't tried that yet*

The only down side to this mounting method is that you have to un-tape the canopy to change batteries in the Radian.

The only real difference that I could tell with the camera on there is that it tended to work as a spoiler and slow me down a bit. No CG issues noticed, but I didn't really check it either I don't think.

Both times I did this I also removed all tape from my GoPro after I was done, so it wouldn't stick too bad to my nice camera.
ghee-grose is offline Find More Posts by ghee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:55 PM
Godservant4earth
Brentwood
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
Awesome! Thank you!! My Radian Pro Is In the mail. Now I Just need a DX6I...
Godservant4earth is offline Find More Posts by Godservant4earth
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:15 AM
Godservant4earth
Brentwood
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
I purchased the DX7 It was only $40 more... Anywho. What other batteries are compatible with the Radian Pro? Besides 1300 li-Po battery?
Godservant4earth is offline Find More Posts by Godservant4earth
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:21 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godservant4earth View Post
I purchased the DX7 It was only $40 more... Anywho. What other batteries are compatible with the Radian Pro? Besides 1300 li-Po battery?
That's what I have...works well.
It's a bit of a challenge getting the receiver in, but worth it.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:22 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleduce View Post
First off, Killer footage!!!!!

Can you give any more details on the way you attached the GoPro to the R-Pro? I have both the GoPro and R-Pro and want to take some footage but would hate to lose my GoPro.

Did you use the waterproof case the Gopro come with?
Did you tape it just to the canopy or the canopy and the fuse?
Did you secure the canopy other than the stock magnets? If so how?
Any CG issues?
Pic would be sweet if you have them.
I'd love the details.
Thanks in advanced
Here's a couple of alternatives to the gopro. A little less drag IMHO.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Mar 05, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 08:29 AM
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
Let's see what the video looks like from that camera!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:37 AM
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
Still no video for us to see yet Jumpy????
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:52 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I posted some, must be on another thread!
Here:
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:53 PM
Woodland Hills CA
Joined Jun 2009
109 Posts
Anyone using a 2200mah 3s?
3DKid1995 is offline Find More Posts by 3DKid1995
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
567 Posts
RadianPro flight report

I removed the ail Y-cable, downloaded the DX8 RP profile and adjusted the settings a bit. It took awhile to figure out how the profile mixes worked and how it was intended to be used. The profile comes with very little documentation.

I attended a local soaring club event last weekend. I didn't know all motors were banned at the club's location, yes even electric motors. The WX wasn't great due to cloud cover reducing thermals and weak breeze reducing ridge lift. Other sailplanes were flying, but they weren't carrying a motor and LiPo battery.

I spent time adjusting linkages to align trailing edges as best I could. When the wind picked up a bit we launched the RP. It held its own, because I was lucky enough to have a good pilot help test it. He had no problem keeping up with the other craft. An original Radian was flying, but due to site restrictions the motor, prop and battery had been removed.

I was expecting the RP to be a handful after reading comments on various forums. He was able to fly the RP using only the right stick 99% of the time. Small easy inputs were all that was required to keep the RP up for an hour, without ever using the motor.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:42 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
I removed the ail Y-cable, downloaded the DX8 RP profile and adjusted the settings a bit. It took awhile to figure out how the profile mixes worked and how it was intended to be used. The profile comes with very little documentation.

I attended a local soaring club event last weekend. I didn't know all motors were banned at the club's location, yes even electric motors. The WX wasn't great due to cloud cover reducing thermals and weak breeze reducing ridge lift. Other sailplanes were flying, but they weren't carrying a motor and LiPo battery.

I spent time adjusting linkages to align trailing edges as best I could. When the wind picked up a bit we launched the RP. It held its own, because I was lucky enough to have a good pilot help test it. He had no problem keeping up with the other craft. An original Radian was flying, but due to site restrictions the motor, prop and battery had been removed.

I was expecting the RP to be a handful after reading comments on various forums. He was able to fly the RP using only the right stick 99% of the time. Small easy inputs were all that was required to keep the RP up for an hour, without ever using the motor.
Why didn't they just remove the battery? Seems strange to remove the motor too.

Wow, an hour! Was that slope or thermal?