HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:16 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,340 Posts
NASCAR, eh? Well, we are in Alabama! And those were just love taps, right?
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Sep 2010
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Since I had to remove parts (motor, servos, etc) from the busted fuse, I decided to tear into the fuse to see what was inside of it. I removed the plastic wing attachment piece that everybody claims is junk. Looks like there's no damage to it.
Andy
Thank you for posting that.

Any chance of us replacing that wing attachment piece? I cracked the ring around the screw on my left wing. It's not broken off, just cracked. However, it gives way easily now. If I could replace it by undoing the screws holding the two parts together I'd buy one.

I'd likely beef it up a bit before installing it. A better design would use a pop-off arrangement to avoid damage in a minor crash, rather than cracking or ripping attachment hole/mount.
LizardMan is offline Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Mar 02, 2011, 03:42 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,340 Posts
I think I remember in one of the other RP threads that somebody asked Horizon if that piece was available separately and the answer was no. You better believe I'm gonna hang onto mine!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:03 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,433 Posts
Quote:
NASCAR, eh? Well, we are in Alabama! And those were just love taps, right?
Love taps, yeah that's it, love taps.

Looked like a lot of fun and a great video. When is the sequel coming out?
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:06 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,340 Posts
Sequel? Well, today Gary and I had our original Radians out and were wishing we had the GoPro on there. I logged a 2:03:30 (that's 2 hours) and Gary logged a 1:01:51. I had a 45-sec motor burn and Gary only had about 20-sec on that flight. There were several times we had to bail on thermals because we were so high!

Gary, how big would that video file be if you had been flying the GoPro today???
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
LizardMan:

Would it be possible to glue a thin piece of plywood to the bottom of the plastic? A longer screw may be needed or not if the ply is not too thick. The ply would reinforce the plastic at the end and give the screw something unbroken to screw into.

e-gull
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:53 PM
Mobile, AL
Joined Jul 2008
168 Posts
Repair

I cut two pieces of plastic cowl (previous crash) material about 1/16 thick, butted them to the center pierce, laminated aa piece of 1/16 play in between to create a "sandwich". Had to countersink the screw to obtain enough depth. It has worked well.
lloyd3521 is offline Find More Posts by lloyd3521
Old Mar 02, 2011, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
lloyd3521:

Could you show a picture of the repair?

e-gull
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:21 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Sequel? Well, today Gary and I had our original Radians out and were wishing we had the GoPro on there. I logged a 2:03:30 (that's 2 hours) and Gary logged a 1:01:51. I had a 45-sec motor burn and Gary only had about 20-sec on that flight. There were several times we had to bail on thermals because we were so high!

Gary, how big would that video file be if you had been flying the GoPro today???
That's great! Sounds like you guys caught some real boomers. It would have been great to see a video of the ground and the surrounding environs with your plane up so high. Maybe next time?
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:50 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD rc boater View Post
That's great! Sounds like you guys caught some real boomers. It would have been great to see a video of the ground and the surrounding environs with your plane up so high. Maybe next time?
I think they set a brush fire to induce some lift! That's why there's no video.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:53 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Quote:

Aha! Your 45 second run would have DQ'd you anyway!
Gotcha......

And say, I want to know how you get a 2 hour lunch break.....workin for the government or something?

Kidding aside, nice flights both of you!

What were the conditions that generated such thermals? Been windy here until today.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:01 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
JumpySticks:

That sounds like a great idea! A brush fire to produce a nice thermal and a way to keep warm.

e-gull
Old Mar 03, 2011, 01:56 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
Thank you for posting that.

Any chance of us replacing that wing attachment piece? I cracked the ring around the screw on my left wing. It's not broken off, just cracked. However, it gives way easily now. If I could replace it by undoing the screws holding the two parts together I'd buy one.

I'd likely beef it up a bit before installing it. A better design would use a pop-off arrangement to avoid damage in a minor crash, rather than cracking or ripping attachment hole/mount.
There is a mod in the other thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=264
BarnOwl is online now Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:04 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,340 Posts
Jumpy, it was a fun day indeed. Temps were mid-60's, winds light and variable, high thin cirrus clouds. Two-hour lunch break? Umm...I'll get back to you on that one.

BTW, here's where I posted more info with plots and pics on that flying session:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=96

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:50 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Jumpy, it was a fun day indeed. Temps were mid-60's, winds light and variable, high thin cirrus clouds. Two-hour lunch break? Umm...I'll get back to you on that one.

BTW, here's where I posted more info with plots and pics on that flying session:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=96

Andy
Awesome plots!
That's what keeps us coming back for more.

I don't see any brushfire smoke in the photos so I guess the thermals were not man made.