SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:21 PM
nph
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
How is the Pro wind handling (10-15mph) compared to the original?
nph is offline Find More Posts by nph
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:34 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nph View Post
How is the Pro wind handling (10-15mph) compared to the original?
It is great fun in the wind. I've sloped mine a couple of times on a small hill over on the farm. The terraces made for just enough lift. I've also managed several good thermal flights when the winds were 8-10 or so. One was a 37 minute flight with just a 45 second motor run at launch. Oh, and when I was sloping it, I had about 3-4 ounces of ballast in the wingtube.

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:36 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
Halt, it is time for the two of you, Gary & Andy to stop. You are writing reviews of planes and now, I want one. This has to stop. I only got so much money and the both of you are just trying to make me get a job to buy all the planes you review. This has to end soon.
Now I have to make more choices.
Say it ain't so, you got more planes to review!!
Thanks guys, at least I can rely on your good reviews.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
You're funny, Orrin. Brace yourself for the next few...they will be keepers for sure!

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:40 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,047 Posts
Drats!!!
I already have my eyes on two new airframes. Mosquito, Corsair, minis of course. Now I want one of these Radian's. My pension will only go so far, I got to eat and feed dogs. Maybe the wife should go??
Probably not a great idea
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:23 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely View Post
Gary,

A few of our local fliers have had problems with the original folding props that came on the early releases of the Pro. Apparently, the prop/hub lose power and become out of balance. The replacement prop fixes the problem, but I was wondering if you knew;
1.) what was the problem and 2.) how we're suppose to tell if we have a bad(?) folding prop.

Thx
I don't know about that specific issue, but I did find my spinner to have come loose after only a handful of flights, probably because of vibrations.

Some locktite on the nut inside the spinner cone did the job of securing it just fine.

If it's loose you will lose thrust and obviously you could loose the spinner, so check up on it every now and then.

As far as folding goes, mine seem to fold fine and doesn't go beyond where it should be totally unfolded.

Great review above by the way and it really is a great plane to fly.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:05 AM
Honey, I got more planes!
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
Comparing the Radian and Radian Pro in the wind??? How about a little video I threw together to show 3 Radians and 1 Radian Pro....viewed from a GoPro HeroHD mounted on the canopy of my Radian?

Camera ship: my Radian
Other Radians: dad (Moonbeam Six) single wing stripes, brother (brn-grose) double wing stripes, and brother (dee-grose) no wing stripes/orange tail.
Radian Pro: bro (dee-grose)

Radian Family Slope Fun.wmv (6 min 35 sec)
ghee-grose is offline Find More Posts by ghee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ghee-grose; Feb 25, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:11 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghee-grose View Post
How about a little video...
Yeehaw! We had us some serious fun that day!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:33 AM
nph
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
Thanks!

How much wind was there?
nph is offline Find More Posts by nph
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:05 AM
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
I think it was 15-25mph that day.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Great video! Are you using the 1300 mAh battery? Did you use the 3-4 ounce ballast? If you were using the 1300 mAh battery and the ballast, I thought maybe using a 2200 mAh battery would add ballast and give more motor runs.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:39 AM
USA, AL, Athens
Joined Jun 2003
4,274 Posts
The camera ship was a Radian. I had 1300mah stock battery in for the video. The GoPro camera added 3.3oz. No additional ballast used.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:06 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Liked the review AND the vids......makes me want to fly the Pro... NOW.
But the weather is bad out here, rain and clouds. I've got mine sitting here all ready to go for the maiden but have to wait for a better opp.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:46 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,432 Posts
My Radian Pro in the "Radian Family Slope Fun" video above was flying with 3-4 ounces of ballast (steel rod and dowel rod spacers) in the wingtube. The wingtube was actually from my Radian since it is a larger inner diameter than the Radian Pro wingtube. My ballast doesn't fit the Radian Pro wingtube.

Also, I was switching between camber and reflex as conditions changed. When the wind would die down, I'd flip camber on to maximize my lift and try to float it out. As the wind picked up, I'd take the camber out or even go to reflex to maximize my forward airspeed. And when I wanted to climb up and do a speed pass, I went with reflex and dove by for a screaming pass.

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:15 AM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
834 Posts
<putting on my "siskel and ebert" hat> ....
that was a decent basic review. but it was very introductory level. good for beginners or someone looking at the RP at a glance. sometimes it seems more of a basic flight instruction than examining how the plane performs/compares.
so what? well, the comment "this is not for beginners (paraphrased)" would seem to indicate requiring a more 'advanced' review, or including more advanced critique in the review. actually, though, i'm a beginner, and i bought this plane because i DID want something more capable. i found it perfectly easy to fly.
the other RP threads have a ton of info in them about real user/owner evaluations that would be helpful for anyone looking at or buying this plane to know. there are tweaks/mods/fixes that should be included in a truly informative review.
and, i think i will have most of the other owners' with me on this, the comment about the "stronger wing attachment (paraphrased)" is not in agreement with many who have complained about the flimsy wing attachment that always breaks and requires a mod.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:54 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendpilot View Post
<putting on my "siskel and ebert" hat> .....
And I'll put on my "RCG Author" hat...

When we are sent airplanes for review, we are supposed to build/fly them as-is and give a fair and objective review of the product. We may be expert pilots, but we are supposed to view the product from the eyes of the average consumer out there. We can also only report on our experience with the product. If we had no problems with the wing attachment method, why should we report that it is faulty or defective? As you pointed out, there are other threads full of that kind of info. Hacks/mods/hop-ups have no place in a product review of this nature. Only in cases where serious airframe defects or shortcomings are found will deviations from the stock build happen. And even then, any changes would probably done in coordination with the manufacturer.

Take a step back and look at the target audience for the original Radian. I'd bet that the majority of Radian owners have never owned a sailplane before. They are the guys that got hooked on the ParkZone warbirds and couldn't resist buying a Radian. Horizon never intended to target the pro pilots with these foamie sailplanes (although just about every good glider pilot I know owns a Radian because they're so much fun). Those same pilots are the ones that will be reading this review looking for how the Pro compares to the original Radian. I think Gary did a fine job making those comparisons both in the article and the video.

As far as not being for a beginner, Gary backed up that claim by saying the Pro has ailerons...not necessarily something a beginner pilot needs. I don't think that statement warrants a review so chock-full of high-level stuff that goes right over a beginner's head. This review hit the mark in my opinion.

One other thing about reviews...they are reviewed by the manufacturer before they are published. If Horizon wasn't pleased with certain aspects of the article, they would ask that they be reworked. That's not to say we would hide bad stuff, but if they had wanted the article to highlight or emphasize something else, they would have said so. The fact that the Radian Pro review is there for you to read says it has their blessing. For example, when I did my review of the ParkZone Night Vapor, they asked me to emphasize the design changes of the modular airframe that made it easier to repair. That was one of their biggest improvements to the airframe. I had mentioned the airframe was different in my original draft, but not in that light. A quick edit and everybody was happy.

Just remember that reviews are written for an audience. Does that help you see where we're coming from when we write these articles?

All that being said, I do hope you found the review somewhat helpful...and maybe a little entertaining.

Andy
RCG Plus Member