HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Review of Hobbico Flyzone Cessna 350 Corvalis Rx-R 57"

The Cessna 350 Corvalis from Flyzone comes Receiver Ready with a number of features including wing navigation and landing lights. This is a very nice general aviation scale foam RC plane of good size with a 57" wingspan.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:57"
Wing Area:362 sq in
Weight:40 oz.
Length:38"
Servos:4 sub-micro
Transmitter:Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz
Receiver:Futaba 6 Channel
Battery:Flyzone 11.1V 1800mAh LiPo
Motor:Brushless Outrunner
ESC:30A Brushless SuperTigre ESC
Manufacturer:Flyzone
Available From:Finer Hobby Stores Everywhere
Price:$179.97

My first Select Scale Flyzone plane was the Cessna 182 Skylane purchased after I read the review of the plane by Mike Llewellyn back in February of 2009. I still have that plane, and she still flies great even (though I did dump her on one landing where I tried to land with too much flap and too little throttle into a too small field with fences). She is a nice, large foamy with a scale appearance and navigation and landing lights. I like her because she makes me fly her like a real plane. While I can do some stunts with her I can't just throttle up and jerk her into the sky. I make real takeoffs and some short field takeoffs, and I strive for scale landings. To me, she just feels and looks like she should. She doesn't burn up the sky or hang on her prop, but she makes me a better scale pilot without being hard to fly. So when I saw the new Cessna 350 Corvalis I hoped I would get this review to see if I would like her as much as my Skylane. The Corvalis has limited assembly which gets her into the air quickly. I hoped and expected her to fly somewhat like a Skylane but with a low wing. She's a fun plane that flies best when flown like a scale plane, especially for takeoffs and landings.

The Full Size Cessna 350 Corvalis

The plane was originally built in Cessna's plant west of Bend and was initially sold as the Cessna 350. In early 2009 it got the name Corvalis (Only one L is in the name.) in honor of the Oregon city of Corvallis to the west of the Bend area factory. That same year the assembly process was moved to Independence Kansas, and the composite construction shifted to Mexico. The plane has space for one pilot and three passengers. Its wingspan is just an inch over 36 feet.

Kit Contents

The Flyzone Cessna 350 Corvalis Contents:

• Fuselage with brushless motor, brushless ESC, two micro servos and steerable front wheel mount
  • 2 wing halves with aileron and flap servos installed as well as navigation and landing lights
  • Wing joiner connector rod
  • Main landing gear
  • Horizontal stabilizer/elevator in two pieces
  • Mounting hardware and front wheel
  • Spinner and propeller
  • Instruction manual

Author Supplied:

• Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz transmitter
  • Futaba 6 channel receiver
  • Flyzone 11.1V 1800mAh battery pack
  • Battery Charger

Features on the Flyzone Cessna 350 Corvalis:

• Made of AeroCell foam that has proven light and crash tough
  • Quick and Easy final assembly
  • Steerable nose wheel on a functioning shock absorber
  • Brushless outrunner power
  • 30 Amp ESC
  • Working flaps
  • LED navigation and landing lights
  • Nice scale appearance with authentic Cessna color scheme
  • Preinstalled servos, motor and ESC

I supplied

• Number 2 Phillips screwdriver
  • Fine point felt tip pen
  • Masking tape
  • Household glue: I used regular CA
  • Loctite

Assembly

The Cessna 350 Corvalis is truly a Receiver Ready plane with very quick and easy final assembly.

Wing

The wing came in two halves with a servo that controls both ailerons installed in one wing half and a servo that controls both installed in the other wing half. The two halves join together with a wing joiner rod that has some dihedral built into it making a downward pointing V. I found it was a nice design and has worked very well. As the wings are slid together, I got the aileron control wire to slide into the connector on the aileron servo in the other wing half and similarly I got the flap wire from the other wing half to slide into the connector on the flap servo. Lining up those two wires was easy as they are of different lengths and thereby staggered to go into their respective joiner connectors one at a time. With the wings together, I used a small Phillips screwdriver to tighten a screw in each wing half on the joiner connector through holes in the foam molded to line up with the securing screws. I tightened the two screws to secure the wing halves onto the wing joiner. Next, I made sure both ailerons were in the neutral position and tightened the small bolt on the aileron connector. I repeated the process with the flaps. Flat spaces were molded into the wing's foam center sections to allow easy access with the screwdriver to these small bolts on the control rod connectors. The wing can be transported in two pieces and assembled at the field or, if space allows, it can be stored and transported as a one piece wing and left assembled. During this review I have kept it assembled. I used a drop of Loctite on the aileron and flap connector bolts once I was sure I had those control surfaces properly centered.

I found the wing to be well designed. Easy to assemble with good control of the flap and aileron surfaces.

Fuselage

There really was almost no assembly necessary for the fuselage. It came with the front strut mounted and connected to the preinstalled rudder servo. The assembly step was for me to unscrew the bottom of the front wheel housing and install the front wheel and its axle. The molded plastic housing holds the front wheel and its axle in place once the bottom of the housing was secured with two screws. I also had to glue in the decorative plastic antenna into the bottom of the fuselage. The elevator servo came installed and connected to an elevator control mechanism built into the tail of the fuselage. The wing and horizontal tail surfaces are added to the fuselage with bolts and can be removed for storage and transportation.

Tail

The rudder came already attached to the fuselage and to the rudder servo so there was no assembly involved with the rudder. The horizontal stabilizer came in two halves with the elevator halves already hinged to the stabilizer. I inserted one side into the fuselage making sure to align the parts from the stabilizer and elevator through the plastic parts in the rear of the fuselage. I repeated the process with the other half of the horizontal stabilizer/elevator. Lined up and interconnected, they were secured in place to the fuselage with one screw each side under the stabilizer using the #2 Phillips screwdriver.

Radio Installation

The receiver is installed inside the fuselage in the wing saddle area where it will be above the wing. I glued some Velcro into the fuselage and stuck the matching piece on the receiver. I plugged in the connectors from the ESC, the rudder and the elevator servos. In assembly and at the flying field it is necessary to plug in the connectors from the aileron servo, the flap servo and the Y-connector from the LED lights in the wing into the receiver. The lights have a two wire red/black plug and that went into the landing gear channel on the receiver. The navigation and landing lights are simply on whenever the receiver has power. I tucked the servo/lighting wires into a space in the fuselage in the front of the wing saddle. There they do not interfere with the operation of any of the servos. The rudder servo had control rods going back to the rudder and forward to the nose wheel. That servo required a few clicks of sub-trim to be perfectly lined up for both rudder and front wheel.

Completion

With the servo and light wires properly secured in the fuselage as described above, the wing had two plastic alignment rods in front that plugged into holes for them in the fuselage. The back of the wing was secured in place with two mounting bolts. After the wing was installed, the main landing gear was secured right behind the wing to the fuselage with four mounting screws. Next I removed two screws from the spinner that came in place on the motor shaft at the nose of the plane. I removed a washer and a nut from the motor shaft and installed the included propeller and reinstalled the washer and nut and tightened them securely. With the propeller in place I secured the nose of the spinner with its two screws. Next, I popped off the top cowling by lifting up on it at the front cooling air holes. (It is held in place with a snap near the front and a foam block in the fuselage in back.) I installed my 3 cell 11.1V 1800 mAh flight battery and did a final check of the motor and all servos for proper operation. The lights had come on as soon as the battery back was connected. I then checked the Center of Gravity (C/G). The instructions discussed using lead weights for or aft as necessary to properly balance the plane. None were supplied or needed as it balanced right on the C/G using the recommended 1800 3-cell mAh battery pack. For the last step I checked the control throws to make sure they matched the recommendations in the instructions.

Building Recap: A drop of glue and a screwdriver

Flying

Basics

This is a five function model of a scale general aviation plane. Accordingly, I plan to fly her as a scale plane on takeoffs and landings and if I do aerobatics it will be up at recovery height (Recover height is enough altitude to recover from one mistake.). I bring this up because talking with newer pilots, pilots not raw beginners, I find too many don't think about how they plan to fly a plane before the flight they just power up and go. I try and remember to think before I fly, especially with a new plane. I get myself to think about a scale plane and how she handles so I don't try and fly her like a more aerobatic or quick sport plane. While the differences are not really all that great it can make a difference especially near the ground.

For the first flight I intentionally started with flaps up. I powered up and rolled down the runway. She hit a bump and started going a little to the right. I corrected with some left rudder, and the nose wheel turned to the left for a moment and then she straightened out. I gave full throttle, and she lifted up nicely without any use of the elevator. I was soon holding some down elevator as she continued to climb. When I got to altitude I applied some down trim to the elevator and throttled back to half throttle. She flew nicely in a straight line. Using aileron only I made a turn to the right and she banked very nicely. Holding the turn past 90 degrees, the right wing tip would have continued to dip further, so I applied some up elevator and put the ailerons back towards neutral, and than the elevator was neutral and she was flying slightly to the right. I applied a couple clicks of left aileron trim, and she was flying nice and straight with hands off. My next turn was to the left and ailerons only at the start transitioning to up elevator and neutral ailerons and back to neutral elevator. I deployed the flaps at altitude, and she slowed down and pitched up while still at half throttle. Having confirmed they worked, I retracted the flaps and went to full throttle. The motor sound became much louder and speed picked up noticeably. I made a left turn with aileron only with a touch of up elevator at the very end of the turn. The next turn was with ailerons, rudder and elevator, and it looked very smooth if I do say so myself. I reduced back to 3/4 throttle, and the next few turns looked as smooth as the one at full speed. For the first landing, I flew a practice run and then a long downwind leg, crosswind leg and then over the runway (It would normally be runway approach but we have a very long runway.) and reduced throttle but didn't deploy flaps. She made a nice smooth descent. I flared the Corvalis just slightly so the mains touched first, and I killed throttle at touchdown. Her nose descended, and the nose wheel touched down, and near the end of the roll out I had to make a little left turn adjustment. I throttled back up and taxiied her back to me. I enjoyed the glow of the landing and navigation lights on a somewhat dark and gloomy afternoon.

Subsequent flights have confirmed the handling I experienced on the first flight. The Corvalis can be flown using only three of the five channels: ailerons, elevator and throttle. The rudder can help make turns smoother when used in conjunction with the ailerons. The rudder also helps in some aerobatics. The flaps are effective. With throttle off they can slow the plane down and stall it from level flight. Used with proper throttle management, they can make for a very nice scale landing. Using full throttle they can help get a quick climb but some down elevator was needed to keep the nose from pitching up too much while doing that. All of the control surfaces work as they should.

She flies like a general aviation plane. She has plenty of power for basic flight and, as will be discussed below, she can perform a few aerobatics but she flies best when she is flown as a scale plane. As with any plane if flown too slowly in a climb she can stall and she recovers very nicely from a forward stall. She is less kind and takes more altitude to recover from a tip stall. The experienced pilot should have no problems flying the Corvalis. Newer pilots should remember to keep her speed at a reasonable level for a successful flight. I found her handling to be excellent. She looks very authentic in the air. She also flies inverted very well.

Taking Off and Landing

If you know how to fly you will find this a fun plane to shoot touch and goes. It takes off very nicely given sufficient throttle, and when the speed is up, going gently up on the elevator can make a very scale looking takeoff. There is an intentional forward stall on the second video below, and you can see that she recovers nicely, but it took a little space. Most of my landings were made in a scalelike fashion with downwind and crosswind legs and into the wind for final onto the runway. By reducing the power slowly, the Cessna gently descends. I fly with power on all the way to the ground and make sure I have good air speed when making my last turn onto final approach. I like a nice long approach where she descends slowly, and when I do it right, I give a slight flare right in front of myself, and she touches down on her mains and then lowers in front to the nose gear. She does not have to be landed hot but I normally land with a slowly lowering throttle to get a rather scale like landing and she does that very well. If the battery is fresh I just push the throttle forward and go around for another circle around the field. I have also glided her in for landings as part of this review. I keep power on until I have transitioned from the crosswind leg onto final. Then I kill the throttle and glide in, flaring just before touchdown. I stay off the elevator when in my glide until just before touchdown. If I am coming in short of my intended touchdown spot I apply a little power and then ease off throttle and let her resume her glide. With the Corvalis, takeoffs and landings really are as much fun as the flying as she tracks so nicely climbing and descending with proper throttle management. Four other people have flown the Corvalis after I finished my basic review and all have found her handling to be excellent and landings very smooth.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

In regards to aerobatics she does a very nice loop. She does a nice half roll and flies inverted very well and does a nice transition back to level flight with up elevator. As for doing a full roll it is best done with a dive and started when transitioning into a climb. The trajectory looks something like a long football pass. She does the first half roll during the climb and falls off and down during the second half of the roll unless you really have speed up. That was what I expected. With appropriate recovery room, I was able to perform a hammerhead stall and a tail slide and recover nicely. It admittedly looks a bit different to do half pipes with the Corvalis and if you try them, give yourself some extra altitude the first time.

The Corvalis can perform some nice maneuvers a loop, a roll, a climb to a split S can add some spice to flying the Corvalis. However, shis is first and foremost a scale plane, and I prefer to fly her in a scalelike fashion. She does that as well as I could hope she would. My friend Jeff Hunter, who is a pilot, was very pleased with her handling and after his flight said that if the full scale Cessna 350 flies this well he would love to fly one.

Is This For a Beginner?

This plane is for the advanced beginner to intermediate and above pilot. I do not recommend it as a first plane for a new pilot. It is not a hard plane to fly but it is not self correcting and needs to be flown all the time. Landings are best made with the power on and a touchdown on the mains with a transition forward to set down the front wheel on the runway. Additionally, the flaps are really effective at slowing down the plane (They work as they should.) and that can be a challenge for the beginner pilot. The Corvalis makes a much better second or third plane in my opinion.

For the beginner with some solid flight simulator time and an experienced pilot to assist him on the first couple of flights, this could be flown by the confident beginner.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

She flies like she should! Flown intelligently she handles just as you would expect her to handle. The flaps work well and are handy for short field runways. She assembles and disassembles with a screwdriver. Wing installation or removal with the main landing gear in place is tight but not hard to do. She looks great on the runway and even better in the sky. The C/G location at 2" worked well for my Corvalis. Flyzone has a winner with the Cessna 350 Corvalis. I like her so much I am taking her to show her off at the Arizona Electric Festival. I do like the way she handles even better than my Flyzone Skylane. She penetrated through the wind very nicely and the rudder was effective at keeping the Corvalis on track while landing with a cross wind.

If you like scale and enjoy what you see in the video. You will enjoy flying the Corvalis very much. Keep the speed up at a reasonable level or fly her at full throttle and have fun! The position of the front cooling air holes allows air to flow pass the motor and the battery and both have remained cool to the touch. The access hatch to the battery makes switching battery packs nice and easy.

Taking the Corvalis to The Arizona Electric Festival

I removed the four screws holding on the landing gear and the two screws securing the horizontal stabilizer/elevator and took the Corvalis with me to the Arizona Electric Festival. Once there she reassembled very quickly. With the landing gear in place the wing installs by sliding it back into the landing gear via two small slots molded in the back of the wing. I then pushed down on the front of the wing to get it lined up in the wing saddle and then pushed the wing forward with the plastic pins on the front of the wing sliding into the plastic holder at the front of the saddle. The back of the wing as described above was secured with two bolts. The Corvalis flew great at the festival and every takeoff and landing looked nice and scale. Based on questions from other pilots I am pretty sure a couple of them are going to be buying their own Flyzone Corvalis. Below are a few more pictures of her at the Arizona Electric Festival.

Pluses

• Quick and easy assembly with screws and bolts.
  • Horizontal stabilizer/elevator comes off with two screws for travel.
  • The Corvalis is a nice large size.
  • Flies very nicely, makes very scale looking takeoffs and landings
  • LEDs on wing look nice at twilight and for dawn patrol.

Minuses

• No LEDs in the fuselage
Last edited by Michael Heer; Jan 31, 2011 at 11:25 PM..

Discussion

Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:19 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Great article Mike, pix turned out nice!!
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1
Old Feb 09, 2011, 11:21 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
Thanks Mike and thanks for your and Chads help at the Festival. I had a great time. Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:18 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,398 Posts
I flew this model in Oregon all last August and it caused lots of heads to turn. (There's a thread in one of the Discussion groups.) A lot of guys who saw mine wanted oneóbut there were none yet to be had because I brought mine from Germany. Flies like it's on rails; no bad stall characteristics whatsoever. In fact, it's so easy to fly it can become rather boring. But with those lights it sure looks nice just before getting too dark to see.

Mine is from Hype RC, which is Kyosho's German dealer, which actually gets them from some Chinese manufacturer who spits the kit out to various retailers.

I'm surprised it took so long for it to appear in the U.S...or until someone wrote a review about it. (I couldn't write a review because the model was not yet available in the U.S.)
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:22 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
It looks nice James. I like the three blade propeller. Yes it does track like it is on rails. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:34 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2002
488 Posts
Super nice review Michael! Looks like a sweet flyer.

Paul
Paul5910 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5910
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:58 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
I did a twilight demonstration flight of this plane this past week and it went great. There was just enough light yet that I could easily see the plane at all times even if there hadn't been LEDs and it was dark enough that the LEDs really shined bright. They are somewhat directional as the red and green on the wing tips show well to the front and the white show best to the sides. As always she flew like she was on rails in normal flight. I only did one roll in the twilight but I did it after a slight dive and the red and green looked great on the wing tips coming at us. I used flaps coming into a baseball infield to land and finished with a nice taxi back to where we were standing. One of the most enjoyable twilight flights I have ever had. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:24 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
I haven't had much flying time the last two weeks and rain is predicted for later today and heavy rain this weekend. So On the way to work today I stopped at the dark and had a predawn patrol flight with the Corvalis. It's LEDs looked great against the dark almost Navy Blue predawn sky. Had a nice six minute flight and with the flaps a nice landing from behind second base and coming in toward first on the local infield. For twilight hours the LEDs work very well. Mike Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:34 PM
RPoe
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts
Corvalis a sure winner

Purchased my Corvalis 3 weeks ago - so far it has been the best foamie I've ever flown. It appears that the front wheel shock absorber is helping me almost eliminate that dreaded "bounce" during landing. When it hits the runway, it sticks and makes me look like I know how to fly!

I flew it today and for some reason the front wheel and wheel pant fell off in flight - I never saw it happen, so I wound up landing on our paved runway with only a wire for a front landing gear. It went "skkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk" but nothing else was damaged.

I actually just ordered another one tonight, which is a testament to how much I love flying this plane. I agree that it does track like it's on rails, that the light kit after sundown is awesome and that it looks so realistic in the air.

In the review you are correct about no LED's in the cabin - however, I taped 3 AAA batteries together in series, then hooked up 2 hi intensity LED's and attached them behind the seats - the cabin gives off an incredible blue glow and with all the other lights, it does turn heads!!

If you're thinking about buying one, DO IT NOW!!!

rpoe
SuzieQ is offline Find More Posts by SuzieQ
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:10 PM
Blackhawk
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2007
304 Posts
picture of your plane with the light in cabine on please. I want to see.
kz4q66 is offline Find More Posts by kz4q66
Old May 09, 2011, 10:01 PM
Schweinfurt (Germany)
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
hello, I'm from Germany. I want to show You my Cessna. I fly with floats. The construction plan for float is a freedownload.
http://modell-aviator.de/downloads/s...fur-parkflyer/
It makes a lot of fun with the Cessna to fly on the water
bobbyflight is offline Find More Posts by bobbyflight
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
47 Posts
Thinking of getting one of these. I have heard the ST Models one is underpowered so have opted to go for this one- good idea?
maverick64 is offline Find More Posts by maverick64
Old May 19, 2014, 05:41 PM
MorE t0Yz iz m0Re gO0dER
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Aug 2013
41 Posts
It's just an amazing plane foamie or not, they don't get much better than this, kit, arf or rtf
It flys very very well, one of the best if not the best plane I have ever flown .
From. 15 nitro to giant gassers and everything in between this is one of my very favorite aircraft.
One reason is it flys. ..........like a real airplane ,not a dragon fly!
Buy one or 3 , you will love this plane if you like flying R/C airplanes-
Betterrcbuilder
Hamden, Ct
betterrcbuilder is offline Find More Posts by betterrcbuilder
Last edited by betterrcbuilder; May 19, 2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old May 19, 2014, 05:52 PM
MorE t0Yz iz m0Re gO0dER
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Aug 2013
41 Posts
The flyzone Corvalis is 249.00 ready to fly with radio, batt, charger, the works
And shipping is about 9bucks
But they give you 20.00 off if you spend over 200.00 so it's 239.00 to your door fora killer ready to fly
They give a 20 off then take 10bucks for shipping
Still a nice sweet little deal
Takin m8ne out in about a half hour
Along with my flyzone Beaver, yet another absolutely awesome flying model
And I'm not quaking in my boots, like I often am when I'm flying a giant scratch built monster
So relaxing to fly these models and they look like the real deal!
betterrcbuilder is offline Find More Posts by betterrcbuilder