Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:41 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
Discussion
My New Losi Night Crawler

With the gift cards I got this X-Mas I headed out to my LHS (GreatHobbies) and purchased a Losi Night Crawler.

This is my first crawler but always been intrigue by them. My first impression of the Losi Night Crawler is this thing is cool and the more I mess around with it the more fun I have. Right now with the Canadian winter here I just crawled in my basement. I created a small course and having fun with it.

My only issue with it was the stock Spektrum Z590 servo that came with mine seemed weak and so I already upgraded to a Hitec Digital servo with 170oz of torque. I also ordered a second servo for the next upgrade I am going to be doing to it next weekend..

I always associated crawling with 4 wheel steering and so with the help of a fellow member who listed all the parts needed for the conversion I order all the parts needed and already have my second servo for the 4 wheel conversion.

With my DX3S and its programming capability I have already tested and I am going to be able to turn the all wheel steering ON and OFF and also enable CRAB steering. Can't wait to give that a try.

Will be posting a list of all the parts used thanks to the help of LONGBIKE and his thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...72&postcount=1.

So I will be posting a pic by pic of the upgrade process as well as programming step for Spektrum DX3s and some vids as well hopefully this weekend.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Jan 03, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:57 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
Sick! You need to waterproof that bugger! I'm in the process of getting my honcho waterproofed for some winter running. Have you considered getting a dig?
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
Sick! You need to waterproof that bugger! Have you considered getting a dig?
No for the water proof since when I run in water I generaly run a boat (Auquacraft Rio51Z & RioEP) Thread for the Rio51Z coming soon anyways as for the dig since I am new at crawling I know there are couple kinds of DIG. Mechanical for those with one motor and needs a third servo and Electronic for those with twin motor& esc. Probably would of ended up costing as much for DIG on the Night Crawler then it did ordering all of the front steering parts to install on the read.

Right now all the parts needed for the conversion and the second servo is costing me more then half the original cost of the truck. So that enough money into something that I am just going to have fun with around the house crawling..
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:34 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
Yeah, the dig for a night crawler would be mechanical, but since you already have the 4 wheel steering stick with it, as it helps with crawling a lot to.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:59 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
Yeah, the dig for a night crawler would be mechanical, but since you already have the 4 wheel steering stick with it, as it helps with crawling a lot to.
But watching some video of it with 4WS and it does of course improve on the turning radious. Also the crab crawling just looks cool. With that said I also heard it makes its Competition Illegal but never planned on doing that anyways...

Should get the parts by this Friday otherwise the LHS owns me bigtime since they convinced me to get them threw them and not my regular place that would of gotten them by FRIDAY garrantee....

Keeping the fingers crossed so I have something to mess with during the weekend...
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:46 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
I think it's DEAD????

7 month old Jasmine, a female Shi-Poo. My RC room guard dog, I know itís no Boxer, Doberman and Pit-bull but being allergic my options were limited....
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:49 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
Ok, just an update for those interested. Couple of mods prior to my Super Mod planned for this weekend.

#1 Upgraded the steering servo from Spektrum Z590 (80oz) to a Digital Ultra Torque Hitec HS-5645MG (170oz) Not a crazy servo but for having fun outside around the house and in my basement its good enough and for the price it’s a BIG improvement over stock with over double the amount of torque.

#2 Castle Creation Bec (10A), the stock esc provides 5.0v at 1A and so the CC bec has been programmed for 6.1V and with 10A capability this is going to be plenty power for the RX and servo (S). I also removed the stock esc ON/OFF switch and instead of removing the red wire from the esc servo lead I fabricated a Y harness that only allows the signal and ground wire from the esc to the RX but I made a Y harness to also feed to stock LED. So the CC Bec feeds the stock RX and Hitec servo/s AND the esc bec feeds the LED.

And of course this is in preparation for the next and final mod and the most IMPORTANT one and that’s DUAL or ALL wheel steering. I already have the second Hitec servo and just waiting on the parts that should be here Thursday or Friday so I can play on the weekend OR else heads will roll...
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:03 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
For those interest in my Custom Y harness, here is a diagram.

What it does is remove or stop the ESC RED/POS servo lead from going into the RX but instead fead the other portion of the Y harness to feed power to my LED on the Night Crawler

So the RX portion of the Y harness still has all 3 wires NEG/POS/SIGNAL.
The ESC portion of the Y harness has NEG/---/SIGNAL.
The LED portion of the Y harness has NEG/POS/---. No point in feeding SIGNAL to LED since the kit stock servo connector only has NEG & POS wires.

So in the end this gives me 6.1v for RX/Servo and 5.0v for LED. All powered on when the main pack is connected.
Last edited by freechip; Jan 06, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:55 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
Ok well Great Hobbies recently opened months ago and from DAY 1 and had question about their ordering policy (in-store) and never quite got the scoop on it.

I was not going to order my Losi AWS parts from them but instead order them from my regular LHS because when in stock at HH every order prior to Sunday arrive Thursday/Friday no mistake about it.

So I got my rear steering servo from GH and at the cash the manager ask if I needed anything else and of course I told I did but regretfully was not going to order them with them because of the order policy or lack of and HE convince me to place the order and Guaranteed it would be in by Friday and NOPE it did not come in. Nor on Monday and yet to hear anything from them now Tuesday (Shame on YOU GH Ottawa)

So for now taught I would post the PROGRAMMING need on the DX3s for the specific type of steering I wanted.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:16 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Would be nice if the new one in ottawa would ship stuff.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:54 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
I asked them (Ottawa) and also ask GH Online when they would have Ottawa as a source to order online and have the item delivered there and they said SOON.

GH Ottawa could not answer me because at the time I asked they had just opened.

So just got done working and they had just received there order and so I got all my parts needed and will start on the swap ASAP and should be posting pics tonight and maybe a short vid....

Will also post the SPK DX3s programming setup for AWS and CRAB.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:27 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
Losi Night Crawler 4 Wheel Steering Upgrade Build/Steps

Ok so here it is, the parts list and steps to transforming you're Losi Night Crawler with 4 Wheel Steering. This is going to be a short version of the How To Step but if anyone needs more info PM me and I will be glad to help out.

The first step is ordering the PART, now using the parts exploded view chart http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...sExplosion.pdf
I did determine that some of the parts listed in the other thread posted at the beginning has some minor issues with its parts listing and so here is what I got.

1) LOSA1030 Spindle & Carrier Set CCR
2) LOSA1517 STR King Pins & Hardware CCR
3) LOSA2036 STR Track Rod & Bushings NCR - Great Hobbies as this part/number BUT it does not appear on HH website.
4) LOSA3196 FRT CVD Shaft Set HD CCR NCR
5) LOSA4037 Servo Mount Plate & Hardware CCR
6) LOSA6045 HD Steering Link Set 8B 2.0 - Needed to get the Pivot Ball
7) LOSA6256 4-40 x 1/2 Button Head Cap Screw (6)

8) Another set of screws needed SEE NOTE

9) LOSA6306 Aluminum Mini Nuts 4-40
10) LOSA6940 6x12mm Sealed Ball Bearing - You only need 2 of them and 2 of the rear bearing that came out when removing the FIXED portion of the axle. These smaller bearing are the only thing I reused.

And the most important part is the second servo with arm. I upgraded the front servo with a Digital High-Torque HS5645MG 143.03 oz/in (10.3 kg/cm) @ 4.8V, 168.03 oz/in (12/1 kg/cm) @ 6V so I simply got a second one for the rear. Now the single over size black arm they provide fits perfectly and using the 2 to last outer hole everything lined up perfectly.

Ok Now for the steps in changing the rear solid axle to front steerable axle.

Remove the wheels and 2 screws will be exposed, remove these 2 screws and remove the entire assembly and put aside for later. You are now done in removing all the parts of the rear that differ from the front that makes this the solid read axle. Now that was easy.

Next using the exploded view you can easily and quickly rebuild the axle just like the front under 30min for sure. I have provided pictures to help and using the exploded view you will find it very easy to accomplish. I simply secured the esc on top of the rear servo using 2way foam tape. My only issue was that the steering link needs longer screws then the exploded view shows. It would appear that the manual has some printing mistakes.

NOTE: Now Another set of screws is needed and my guess based on the stock screws on the actual front steering is that they need to be 4-40 x 5/8 Button Head Cap Screw. So I will be heading back to GH to look at some screw stock inventory for similar screws, right now using Phillip head 4-40 5/8 black screws. The reason why the other thread does not mention this is he used the super long flat head screw removed from the previous step when remove the rear portion of the axle and most have cut to length.

It’s pretty much a mirror image of the front and of course what you do on one side of the axle you do on the other.

After the mod I was left with a few extras from the ordered parts like the rod & links from (LOSA6045 HD Steering Link Set 8B 2.0) and 7 out of the 10 (LOSA6306 Aluminum Mini Nuts 4-40). As for left over stock rear parts, ESC mount and hardware, rear axle and hardware.

Ok so I bought the BND version of Crawler for 270$ cnd + taxes and the cost for the parts and servo were 150$ cnd + taxes, that's more then half the price of the truck but at the end of the day it gives me a totally new truck much more capable and also COOL Looking to watch in action.

Truck 270$, Parts 100$, Servo 50$ and the fun I am having with it PRICELESS...

Pictures are displayed step by step. Video with iPhone 4
Losi Night Crawler 4 Wheel Steering (1 min 24 sec)
Last edited by freechip; Jan 11, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:48 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
Spektum DX3s programming for 4WS

Using my Spektrum DX3s with my Crawler and its rear steering so programming and work around is need to do what I wanted and that is.

Steering Modes
#1 Front wheel str only.
#2 Front and rear wheel str.
#3 Crab str.

Now since the DX3s Aux 3 channel is NOT centered but instead is full right or left YOU must enable MIX as well as the F/R mixing in the AUX menu. Now what this does is make the AUX channel centered and slave to the steering channel.

Then TrFH & TrFL are set to 100% and TrRH & TrRL are set to 0%

What this does is allow me to switch ON or OFF the rear wheel steering and when OFF the channel is centered.

So this gives me the basic 4 wheel steering that I can now turn ON or OFF.

Now what I do is enter the channel reversing menu and select the AUX channel and press the roller to change the reversing but leave it at that screen.

So now if I want $WS I just toggle the AUX switch and it will enable 4ws and by rolling the roller menu button to reverse the channel this gives me CRAB steering which I can turn ON or OFF with the AUX switch.

AUX Switch = REAR steering ON or OFF.
Roller button = 4 Wheel str or Crab str when Rear STR is enable from the AUX switch.

PS: The only thing is that I re-programmed CENTER on my digital servos to avoid using sub-trim because if sub-tim is used to center then when I switched the reversing to switch from 4WS to Crab the sub-trim was not in the wrong direction. If you need to sub-trim to center and can not reprogram the servo then you can either just have 4WS and not Crab but be able to toggle the 4WS ON and OFF or have full time 4WS and switch to CRAB. You wont be able to have the 3 options of FRONT ONLY - 4WS - CRAB.
Last edited by freechip; Jan 11, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:13 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Looks good, Just need the snow to leave...
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:53 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,333 Posts
I could care less for now, BRING IT ON mother nature and dump as much as you can in the next couple off weeks going cause I am migrating to Orland Florida. Wonder if my losi can fit in the carry on size compartment?
Closed Thread