SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2011, 05:59 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,840 Posts
New Product
Rusty's Rev-8 Frame Kit

Greetings,

Well, it had to happen sooner or later, so here it is. You can find more info on the web page, http://aglhobbiesllc.com/shop/ but here are the highlights.

Rev-7
-The Rev-7 is not being replaced, and will still be available, because it's probably what I'll continue using myself.
-It can even be purchased with the the larger Rev-8 plates, though you won't get the extra Delrin blocks.
-All the Rev-7 holes are duplicated on the Rev-8 plate, so they're largely interchangeable. For example, you use larger plates for some sections, and smaller plates for others. You just have to get creative with the standoffs.

Rev-8
-These are larger, heavier, and naturally more expensive.
-They allow the use of two Delrin blocks per arm for up to 8 arms.
-They allow up to 12 arms when using only one block per arm.
-They allow more room for other items like receivers, video and data transmitters, and larger batteries.
-The hardware in the kit doesn't change, except for receiving 12 blocks, and 8 mounts. This is enough for a quad, Y6, or X8 with two blocks per arm.
-hexa and octo upgrades are available for kit buyers.

Overall
-I bought a hugely expensive software upgrade, and can now improve the quality of some of the cutting.
-The plates now have closer tolerance holes for the Delrin blocks. They will never be perfect, but there's much less slop than before. The downside is that the holes might be a bit tighter when you first insert the screws.
-The old parts always had "dwell marks", where the tool plunged, but the new software allows several options to avoid that. The slots on the pre-drilled mounts should start looking more like slots, and less like keyholes now.
-The real reason for the software upgrade was to improve the way I make the Delrin blocks. I can now machine half blocks in 3D, so that I no longer need to drill the holes manually (and there was much rejoicing). I've actually wanted to make the blocks in two pieces for some time, but it would have added a lot more work.

That's all I can think of. Happy New Years everyone!
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:24 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Hi Rusty,
What is the weight difference between the the Rev 7 and Rev 8?
Thanks
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:59 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Hi Rusty,
What is the weight difference between the the Rev 7 and Rev 8?
Thanks
Hi Gary,

The difference will vary some, but I'd figure 5-6 ounces more for Rev-8, which is a lot. That's the biggest disappointment of the Rev-8 plates.

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:26 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Considering the benefits of increasing the strength of the frame thats not much of a weight penalty for a heavy lifter to deal with.
I am almost done building my newest Octo with your Rev7 frame, I love it.
Thanks
Gary
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:28 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2007
4,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Hi Gary,

The difference will vary some, but I'd figure 5-6 ounces more for Rev-8, which is a lot. That's the biggest disappointment of the Rev-8 plates.

Rusty
I gather that the Rev-8 is meant more for Hexa's and Octo's? If so, then 5-6 oz really won't make much difference. They need the extra beef. Got any pictures?

- Jeff

Where's the beef?! Sorry, after re-reading my post I had to add that.
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:18 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,840 Posts
The larger plates aren't necessarily for heavy lift copters, but that would be the idea behind adding the second block for each arm. Having one block was never a problem, but two is stronger.

The only reason I've personally wished for the larger plates was due to the larger boards that seem to be showing up. The HoverFlyPro is just huge, and so is the ArduCopter. Both of those require moving the standoffs around to make room to plug in cables on the 5" plates. It can be done, but it leaves you with no room for receivers, XBees, etc.

I actually tried to wait until I had a frame assembled, but I just can't get motivated to build one. I've assembled various parts of the center section for testing, but the rest of the frame is just like all the others, so it's not real interesting. The only pics I have are on the site. Eventually, I'll actually assemble a frame, probably Y6 with Pulsos, but I don't have a board I'd want to put on it right now.

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:58 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Considering the benefits of increasing the strength of the frame thats not much of a weight penalty for a heavy lifter to deal with.
I am almost done building my newest Octo with your Rev7 frame, I love it.
Thanks
Gary
Can up use large batteries with the Rev7 frame?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:09 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Can up use large batteries with the Rev7 frame?

The Rev-7 frame can typically use batteries up to 4S and 4-5 AH. If you need something larger than that, you can reconfigure it if needed. I typically put the battery level on the bottom now, and that allows you to put 4 standoffs that are spaced farther apart than normal. You can use longer standoffs as well if you need extra height. Basically, where there's a will, there's a way

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:30 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,933 Posts
Have you considered making a small frame for indoor flying. When the new HoverFly mini board comes out I think that small quads will become a lot more popular for indoor as well as sport aerobatic flying.

Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:31 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,840 Posts
Yes, I've certainly thought about making a small quad, and it's really tempting to whack out one of those one piece frames. I'd actually prefer something with guards around the props, since that would be better for indoor use. One of these days I'll get around to it.

As for small quads, there are lots of boards that are perfectly capable of flying small quads, but there has been a growing interest in smaller quads recently.

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:22 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,933 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I've certainly thought about making a small quad, and it's really tempting to whack out one of those one piece frames. I'd actually prefer something with guards around the props, since that would be better for indoor use. One of these days I'll get around to it.

As for small quads, there are lots of boards that are perfectly capable of flying small quads, but there has been a growing interest in smaller quads recently.

Rusty
You should at least make a prototype then get comments from forum members.

Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:28 AM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
994 Posts
Rusty,

Run over to HoverFly and borrow the prototype of their "mini". Build a frame around it and I'll volunteer to test it
UniversalRC is offline Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:51 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
Quote:

Rusty
Hopefully I won't regret boring my boom holders 22mm and ordering the 22mm x 182 cm booms.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:25 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Hopefully I won't regret boring my boom holders 22mm and ordering the 22mm x 182 cm booms.
22mm? Are you saying you have done this, or you plan to? The distance between the screws on the Delrin blocks is only about 16mm, so I'm not sure how you could fit a tube that large in the block?

I did think about making the blocks larger, to use larger tubing, but the larger tubing is way more expensive, and I just don't think it's necessary for any reasonable amount of weight.

Cheers,
Rusty (real job getting in the way)
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:23 AM
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
994 Posts
Saving my lunch money to order a Rev-8. Looks perfect for me to go back to my Y6!!

Once again you are the master Rusty
UniversalRC is offline Find More Posts by UniversalRC