HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:30 PM
Spoooooon!
San Fernando Valley, California, United States
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
How do they make hollow molded wings?

Is there a site on how the process is done? Thanks!
TheTick is offline Find More Posts by TheTick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Energic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:56 PM
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Joined Jul 2000
1,790 Posts
Tick;

Have you checked out the how to DVD's on Vacuum Bagging Made Easy? "The Production Methods of Phil Barnes." Or was that what you were talking about?

Henry
hmhoshi is offline Find More Posts by hmhoshi
Old Jul 24, 2003, 09:45 PM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
I think vacuum bagging requires the use of a foam core.

I'm asking because my neighbor is a surfboard shaper by trade, but has alot of experience working with carbon, graphite and other materials. We thought it might be fun to make a carbon nemesis. He says the fuse would be easy, but wing would be pretty labor intensive. Maybe we'll just make carbon fuses since I seem to go through them like popcorn.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:58 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
hollow molded wings are made the same way fiberglass fuses are made (sorta). There is a set of wing molds. The top skin and bottom skin are layed into the mold. Then the spars, joiner boxes, servo bays and such are installed in either the top or bottom half, using gobs of epoxy and microballons. Then a slurry of epoxy and microballoons is layed around the outside edge and the mold halves are bolted together to dry.

Making the "parts" is the easy bit. Making the molds is the hard part! You need perfect masters which are usually made on a CNC machine. The molds are pulled from these masters. You can CNC the molds but it's less common to do it this way.

As far as making carbon fuse, you are better off using Kevlar. Carbon is more brittle and will still break before Kevlar does. The glass might blow out of the Kevlar but the fuse is easier to repair. Carbon fuses are not great for radio reception either, they can cause a serious decrease in range.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jul 25, 2003, 01:56 AM
Spoooooon!
Joined May 2003
3,791 Posts
Thanks TFLG,
That really clears things up.
RCG Plus Member