HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:02 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
looks awesome it really has yacht lines this one ! The packing tape should make it floatable already no ?
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:55 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,559 Posts
I thought of that, but haven't got the cahones to try it
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:27 PM
glen burnie, md
Joined Feb 2009
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber View Post
looks awesome it really has yacht lines this one ! The packing tape should make it floatable already no ?
I thought the same thing.

I saw the boat at Jerry's shop the other day. Very nice hull.
captmsr is offline Find More Posts by captmsr
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:01 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,559 Posts
Thank you sir.

BTW: I can't access RCGroups from work any more - they blocked it as "Social Networking." I do get emails when there's posts to my subscribed threads and RCGroups includes the message in the email - so I can read what's been said, but can't respond or see images.

Sigh.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:38 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,559 Posts
Well UPS showed up with the cloth around 1630 today. I didn't know they ran on Veterans Day. Anyway Sprayed the hull with a bit of adhesive and stuck the cloth on it, and precut some cloth for the second layer.

All set to go and I couldn't get the resin can open. I wound up punching holes in it and draining it into a mayonnaise jar - in fact, as I type this, it's still draining.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:25 PM
Joined Oct 2006
822 Posts
polyester resin?....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:14 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,559 Posts
Yes. Looks like I haven't opened the can since putting the matting in Constellation in April 09.

I did get a start on Macedonian's forms.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:07 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,559 Posts
Well, I glassed the form, but I can't say I'm pleased with how it went. After it sets up completely I'll see if it's usable.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
822 Posts
too much resin?....just a lot of sanding i suppose.....
did you use the waxed resin?.....don't know if i'm right, but i just use enough unwaxed resin to fill the fibres to start, so i don't have to sand....and build up more layers after curing, using the same resin ......if it's painted after, it is protected against uv etc......can't recoat waxed resin without sanding...so i guess you'll have to see if you can sand without going through the cloth....i add glass micro balloons also on the outer coat, so sanding is so much easier......
Last edited by yancovitch; Nov 13, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:06 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,559 Posts
Dear reader;

If anyone implies, or you infer from me in any way that I know what I'm doing - ignore it - I don't, at least not all the time.

The first batch of resin seemed thick, and gave me fits getting it on. I did the stern and the bow and most of one side then mixed another 4oz. This time I put in a splash of acetone and that went much better. I had some left over and poured it into Constellation to fill some crannies along side her stern post and keel.

The second batch cured nicely - thank goodness or I'd have a nasty lump of it to pull out of Constellation. The first didn't cure right, at least not everywhere - as if I hadn't mixed it thoroughly.

At any rate, I pulled it off and took off the tape. That was an interesting distraction, so now's it's back to plan A.

I pulled all the stations out, one-by-one, carefully. I missed about 8 or 9 of those nasty little nails/pins, but each station came out nicely otherwise.

I had to cut down the sternpost - which is something I should have done when the keel was just a piece of plywood and not surrounded by planking. Thank goodness for Mr Dremel's machine.

The inside of the hull got sanded and scraped a bit, then I painted it with thinned Tightbond III to get all the inside nooks and crannies. Any openings were filled with sawdust from the sander and glued up.

With the hull drying I sanded and painted the bench. It was getting hard to see the right markings with all the Constellation, and now Pride markings on it. Now it's ready to host it's third hull - Macedonian.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
Joined Oct 2006
822 Posts
persevere persevere ...i thought i was the only one who had those problems .....oh....do you use microballoons with the resin?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:56 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,559 Posts
Nope - no micro-balloons.

I have to get more hardener, and wood to plank the next one with.

I'm going to resin the inside of the hull first. I'll hot glue a couple of forms back in to support the hull as I glass the outside. Then I'll cut down some forms to epoxy back in to support the equipment deck. Constellation's forms were thin luan plywood, and I couldn't use them this way - Pride's I can.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:54 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
so i gather you wil just glass the outside again and use the Hull as is instead of making i a form ?

it looks great the way it turned out i`ll have to try this knock out former approach of planking, i have 2 small 1/64 scale models i`d rather like to try and it would help matters greatly if there wasn`t that huge keel plate and the full formers inside Cutting most of teh insides and formers away and making a skeleton like on my small SNAKE works but uses a lot of space i`d rather have for the RC installation.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:37 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,559 Posts
I was originally going to do just that, which is why I made the forms removable, but I was distracted by the prospect of making two hulls. I think the premise is sound, and the fellow that I got the idea from is evidence of that, but I bungled it. Rather than try again, I'll just move on.

There's the beginnings of a 38 gun frigate on the bench that will be built almost the same way, though I'm going to try a slightly different planking approach.

My Site
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:09 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,559 Posts
Got wood!

I took the hull into the Academy tonight and one of the guys working on the St Lawrence with me had a nice surprise for me....

A friend of his worked at the yard where Pride had a spar or two replaced just before she left for Europe for the last time in 1985. The stump of a topmast wound up in a museum, and other bits got scattered about. Pete and his friend were talking about a Baltimore Clipper model Pete's building and that led to the spar pieces, and my project came up.

I now have three pieces, splinters really, of a spar that was on the boat when I was. That was really a nice thing to do - thanks Pete.

I haven't figured out how I'll incorporate this wood into the model yet - any ideas?