SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:41 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
Thursday

Got back from working on the St Lawrence at the Naval Academy and was putting the hull back in the shop when all these little nails started calling me to pull them out - so I did. Then I knocked off some bumps and ridges with the block plane and sanded a little bit. By then it was after 12am, so I reluctantly called it quits for the night.

I found another image of the boat taken when I was aboard. This one taken from a helicopter as we were leaving Baltimore in October.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:48 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,348 Posts
Jerry how will you go about the sailing ballast ? just asking as there is no obvious attchment points visible and i`m curious how you incorporate them then.
I always love watching a hull take shape during planking.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:27 PM
glen burnie, md
Joined Feb 2009
179 Posts
Jerry, I like that picture of her sailing past Domino. The Baker-Whitley tug Britannia is playing the bow of that ship backing into North Locust Point. Both boats, Pride and Brit are gone now.

I thought you'd be done planking by now. Are you using popsickle sticks and eating them one at a time? Tropical flavor like the real boat.
captmsr is offline Find More Posts by captmsr
Old Oct 29, 2011, 06:26 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
Plankety plank plank plank

Nope, not done. Closer, just not there. I got a late start today - since we didn't go to the Down-rig in Chestertown I did house-work. I was wishing hard, but the laundry just wouldn't do itself.

Anyway, with the obligations done, I did get some planking on.

I haven't decided on how I'll attach the ballast. I think I'll make something of a fin to fit the PVC pipe full of lead to the drag of the keel so the pipe will be level and the rods that hold it vertical. I can bore holes for the tubes as I did with Constellation.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:29 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
Just can't seem to get this planking done. Had to go to Annapolis today and didn't get back and started till after 5 - worked till 11pm and just too tired to do any more. Another weekend shot - darn it.

Only a few more to go. Did a lot of rough fairing already, so it's putty and sand, putty and sand, etc.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:03 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
So close

One more measly plank to go. I was getting tired and broke it and gave up for the night.

Happy Halloween!
Last edited by JerryTodd; Nov 04, 2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
848 Posts
yancovitch is online now Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:51 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,348 Posts
looks great and was real quick too! considering you really only started on 8.October
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:33 AM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
381 Posts
very nice work Jerry.

this "methode" is going to be the way for my following boat in a few years.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:41 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
The big thing that slowed me down were the nails I used to tack the planks to the forms. I thought their being fine would keep them from splitting planks, but they bent at the slightest tap at least 80% of the time. The air in the shop was blue by the time I pulled and tried the 6th nail in a row at the same spot.
I'm planning something else for Mac which I'll post photos of as soon as I find the darned things.

Now to slip out and get that last plank in.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:37 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
Final plank!

At last the planking is done!

Went over it with the plane and next visit to the shop will be to cover it with water putty - then sanding till the end of November - well, I hope not.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:18 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,348 Posts
very nice how heavy is the hull now ?
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:55 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
Sorry folks, the firewall at work says RCGroups is "social networking" and won't let me in.

With the forms still in, she's a fuzz under 10 pounds. If laying a glass hull on it works out, this will be no more than a form hanging from the shop ceiling - so weight's not an issue unless the glass trick doesn't pan out.

In that case, the forms come out and she gets a layer of 6oz glass outside and a coat of resin inside. I'm guessing she'll still run between 10 and 12 pounds then.

I'm taking her in to the Naval Academy tomorrow to see what the fellers think of her. We had a 1:20 yacht America came through the shop a while back, built much that same way but probably not a drop of glue in her - everything was nailed and pinned together. The space between the bulkheads was about the same and the planking, not being glued together, waved like a rough sea. I think it went into the attic.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Nov 02, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:10 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,348 Posts
I just had a quick guestimate from wikipedias dislacement numbers of the original pride (130t) gives about 36lb total displacement. So a hull weight of about 10lb seems acceptable but i think she´s need a fin keel then to get teh CG far enough down to carry all the canvas shown in your first pic
In any case watching your build starts getting my fingers itching to get to building ships again!
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:56 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,633 Posts
I was guessing her sailing wight to be in the neighborhood of 80-90 pounds. I don't think 36 pounds would get her down to the waterline.

Plan A is a 4" i.d. PVC pipe filled with lead bird shot and weighing between 40 and 50 pounds. I'm guessing it'll be between 18-24 inches long. The center of it will be about 8 or 9 inches below the waterline.

Mind you, these are just eyeball calculations.

I stayed home today with a vicious sore throat and won't be going to the NA shop. I did pull out form #10 with the transom forms attached. It came out with just a couple of taps with a screw driver handle.

The rest will stay in unless making a glass hull doesn't work out - then this will be the model's hull and all the forms will be removed.

The transom top is still shaped wrong. This is what's on the plan, but on the real boat it was less arched, almost flat.

Now to fill my mouth with throat lozenges and slap some putty on this thing.