HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:39 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
More planking

Snuck off from my chores and did a little more planking.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:40 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,683 Posts
The Pride was such a pretty thing! I boarded it when it made port in Galveston. I still remember the lights let into the deck. I bought a 'T' shirt and still have it! You are sure going to have a beautiful boat when finished!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:22 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
a bit more planking

Lat time I had installed two strakes that run just under the wale, but they weren't taking the compound curves very well, especially back aft, so I yanked them off and replaced them with narrower planks. I cut back the tape to help me see the line where the bottom of the wale goes better.

I've kind-a run out of wood so I'm going to have to grab a 1 x something to rip more planks before I can continue.

I might only glass to the bottom of the wale and poly up from there. Then I can plank the wale thicker, otherwise I'll have to apply the wale over the glassed hull cause I don't think glassing over the wale will work.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jun 15, 2014 at 02:20 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:02 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,405 Posts
Jerry,
Just found this again. Taken from the brig Niagara as we raced to Chicago on Lake Michigan summer of 2010.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:55 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
Who won?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:41 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Nice looking build so far!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
Plank plank plank

I put on a few more planks. I'm doing the rest of the hull in 1/4" planks. At the bow and stern there's some twisting involved, so I wet the planks and clamp them in place for a while to pre-shape them. In the mean time I pull out the little nails in prior strakes of planks. There's 8p finish nailed set in predrilled holes along the keel into each bulkhead to hold it in place, with the pins at the top most strakes the bulkheads are held in place. I actually popped the hull off the building board. It held it's shape and popped right back in place again - a good sign.

I'm not spieling the planks as the extra effort is not really necessary. It won't be visible after glass and paint and doesn't figure in the strength of the hull. After some consideration though, I'm not glassing up to the bottom of the wale, but rather right up to the rail. Then I'll add the wale over the glassed hull.

Speaking of glass, I was looking at a fellow's project in another forum that made a hull just this way, covered it in thin brown plastic packing tape and laid up a glass hull over that in two halves. He popped off three hulls in a weekend. It's real tempting to give that a try.

I spent some time drawing up the forms for the Macedonian whose hull I'll start as soon as Pride's is off the bench, and printed the patters out. I also worked on drawings and patterns for some Constellation's parts; head knees, the actual heads, stern windows; and, of course, bending more brass rod into chain plates. We're also making some good progress on the St Lawrence at the Naval Academy.

There's more about all that at my WEB SITE which I've redone by putting more details in the The MODEL section for each boat.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Nov 04, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:02 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
Pride gets a tucas

Got a few more planks on and built the transom & counter. Pride had a "square-tuck stern" which basically means the planking stopped on the last frame on which counter frames were mounted forming the concave counter. A covering board covered the plank ends. "fashion pieces" cover the end grain of the counter and transom planking.

Everything is over-sized and will be trimmed to shape later.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Oct 22, 2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:42 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
Plankin' around

Planking continues, now from the sheer down as this attaches to the counter and transom linking everything together. A bit more planking in the big hole closes up the stern - on one side anyway.

I think my shop is a wildlife sanctuary - the little fellow showing his best side on the band saw landed on my head. I snapped a shot of him after he headed for the door at the far end of the shop - flipped his tail feathers at me and hauled them out the door.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:00 AM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
jerry...you sure are funny for a stern lookin fella....and in the case above, i think i'd rather get the stern than the finger ...not to mention, the stern of the ship is sure lookin great....this is the most enjoyable part of ship building to me.....uh...i mean the whole hull .....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Oct 24, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:10 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
I didn't need to spiel the planks, but doing it the lazy way really looks like crap to me. I keep reminding myself it gets glassed and painted - but till then - yuck.

I intend to do Mac the same way, but I think I'll start at the sheer and work down instead of meeting at the bilge.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
don't know the term spiel...??
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:09 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
Spiel, spile - the shaping of the planks to fit the boat. I Googled it and it's spelled every way you can imagine.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:55 PM
Joined Oct 2006
854 Posts
ah!...you done right...spiel away!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:19 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
Transom

Sunday, I snuck out and trimmed the transom down to the planking.

Tonight, I brought the hull into the house to take a picture showing the size comparison between the two models.

Then I trimmed the top of the transom down.