HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:21 PM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
222 Posts
Carbon Steel = 68
Stainless Steel = 68
it's not quite 1/2 of brass
hope this this helps, I know, I made a bunch of tip's out of brass, they didn't work very well
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:20 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,690 Posts
I bounced about running errands; getting fabric glue, some brass tubing, and trying to get a copper screw or three. No one carries copper screws around here, not even the marine places.
Name: pri20120604j.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 40.2 KB
Description:

So, I can't make another blade yet, but I can manage with the one I have.

The brass tubing is for making other fair-leads for sheets and running stays. I cut the sub-deck into three sections today, so I can better install those fair-leads which will be disguised on deck by fake blocks or in pin-rails, and be reenforced under the deck by going through wood blocks much like the steering cable fair-leads do.
Name: pri20120604b.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 184.0 KB
Description:

I put metal tabs in side the cabin lid and mounted magnets inside the cabin sleeve on wood tabs.
Name: pri20120604e.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 118.6 KB
Description: Name: pri20120604f.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 123.5 KB
Description:

Looking at the photos again, trying to nail down belay points, where eye-bolts are on the deck etc, I stumbled on something interesting...
The main tops'l is attached to a "jack-yard" and is set "flying" from the deck - that is, the sail is furled to the jack-yard, tied with some rope yarns, hauled up and yanked open. It's a tricky maneuver for a crew of 12 on a boat that historically would have had at least 20 crew. Pride also had the modern problem of crew inexperience. As the then, only Baltimore Clipper type sailing in 150 years - it's not like there was a pool of experienced sailors to recruit from. Add to that that crew changes were relatively frequent - meaning the boat seemed to always have a green crew aboard.

So, it seems, to make it easier to set the main tops'l, the jack yard was left up and a jackstay was run down to the deck. The sail was hanked to it and simply run up the jack-stay to set.

I understand why this was done, but it wasn't that way in 81, which is the period I'm modeling. I get to portray her with the sail as intended. Just another of those little thing you find when building in scale.

Name: jackyard77.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 39.2 KB
Description: How the main tops'l was intended to be set. Name: jackyard83a.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 45.7 KB
Description: Modified set-up in place by 83 Name: jackyard83b.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 50.9 KB
Description: Sail's down, but jack-yard is still aloft.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:52 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,690 Posts
Hanging the laundry

The three heads'ls are hemmed and the forestays'l has it's reef bands. I also glued the cyclops eye onto the t'gallant and hemmed it as well.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:35 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,413 Posts
Just Beautiful, Jerry.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:23 PM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
381 Posts
very nice done and very fast

you almost fly through the building
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:41 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,690 Posts
Trying on some clothes

The transmission went up in my car. All of a sudden, well after 140,000 miles, but no warning, just started making noises like someone was in there eating the thing. So, off the shop to generate another expense I can't afford. sigh.

Anyway - last night I got the fore-tops'l together and when I got home today, hung it up with the other sails made so far. There's too much background clutter in the shop, so I limboed it through the door and outside for a few photos.

I've been finding this fabric glue easier to work with than Liquid Stitch. It's a little thinner, so I can spread it easier, and it dries clear. I sit a heavy object on the thing glued and it works very well, especially when I'm working along a hem. I then press it with an iron, and although the bottle doesn't say it - that seems to set the glue nicely.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Oct 2006
858 Posts
looks great....flying dutchman popped into my head for some reason....unless i missed something, i guess you didn't bother staining the sails? and i'm pretty sure you'll sew the bolt ropes by hand
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:59 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,690 Posts
Yes sir, I sewed real bolt ropes by hand, these will be easier - the sails are smaller, I don't need a palm to push the needle through, and I sew through about every third strand of the rope instead of every strand.

As for staining - I want to grey them up a bit, but I'll toss the completed sails in the vat when I do it to get the bolt-ropes, and everything else too.

Today I took the soldering iron to them to make the holes for hanks, reef points, etc and looking at the photos to see where these thing were I noticed the fore-stays'l bonnet wasn't laced on as it should be, but was clipped or tied together instead.

I also noticed there were no reef points in the square tops'l - the holes are there, just no lines - yet we had reefing tackle rigged? The fore-stays'l also lost it's reef points, but they were there in 81. Funny thing is both the stays'l and the tops'l had reef points again when she sailed over to Europe.

At any rate, these five sails have all there bands, cloths, patches, and holes and require only their bolt-ropes. I still have to make the fore, main, and main tops'l.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:47 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,690 Posts
A nice video on YouTube about both boats with a lot of nice footage of the original underway.

Pride: Legacy of the Baltimore Clipper (57 min 44 sec)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Oct 2006
858 Posts
thank you todd, that was wonderful!!!
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:44 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,690 Posts
Spars

All the square stock spars are now tapered and round.

I was originally going to pin the jaws on the boom and gaffs as the originals are done, but I worried that solid wood would split, so I decided to go with aircraft plywood. That's not really going to work that way, so I made them one piece and slotted the boom and gaffs.

The tops'l and coarse yards are almost standard 1812 fare. The center is 8-sided, The arms round and tapering out to the ends. A pair of sling cleats on the front face, and a yoke on the back; parrels and a rope truss. The yards get jackstays, foot ropes, holes for the sheets, and the usual fitting out in the style of the period.

The t'gallant yard is just a tapered pole with cleats at the end to hold out the head of the sail. I think there was a couple of cleats in the middle to keep the halyard from slipping. No yoke, just a stiff bit of line that went around the mast and snapped back to the yard. This sail was hauled up from the deck and didn't live up in the rig.

Another spar hauled up from the deck was the jack-yard for the main tops'l. This spar was also basically just a tapered pole with holes at either end to stretch out the luff of the tops'l. The halyard was tied on about a third of the way from the top with a rolling hitch. I don't think the was a cleat to keep it from moving, but I'm still looking. The top of the jack-yard was shaped into a truck like the topmast heads were, and was rigged for a flag halyard. When the sail was set, the commission pennant would be transferred to the jack-yard.

With-out the jack yard, the main topmast is actually a little shorter than the fore topmast. We used to joke that Pride was actually a ketch and didn't become a schooner until the tops'l was set.

I took the sail patterns down from the shop wall and stowed them away since I'm done with them. I hung the sails up on the wall in their place to keep them safely out of the way for now, and because I like the big sail plan hanging up there.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,690 Posts
Spars, cont.

Did some "iron work" for the spars, making the stuns'l boom irons and the ringtail boom iron from brass tube, a bit of rod, and silver solder.

The tube was drilled, then cut off with a cut-off wheel on a rotary tool. A short length of rod connect the two bits of tubing and was soldered. The the stuff that poked into the inside of the tubes was filed down. The whole thing was washed in acetone then dunked in Blacken-It. They'll get painted, so the blackening serves as sort of a primer.

The tops'l yard got a yoke and both got sling cleats on their front faces. I have to insert a boat load of eyes for the jack stays next.

The t'gallant yard got stained. It's tips will be painted black, but my black paint dried up, so that'll wait till I get some more.

The jack-yard's the same story. A portion of it at the top gets painted black, otherwise it was all varnished. I'm still trying to determine if is had cleats or holes at the ends to anchor the lashing - I can't tell from the pictures I have.

The boom got a block that holds the mains'l out-haul off the spar. I installed that and the sheave hole for the out-haul. The boom was originally all black, but by 81 it was varnished and the ends were painted black for a few feet.

The lazy-jacks had little bronze keepers to hold them to the boom. I'll probably make some tiny staples from brass rod to replicate those. I think there's an eye-bolt just before the very end of the boom that the topping-lifts attach too, I'm still trying to confirm that - it may be part of the ring-tail iron.

So, it's off the get my car back from the transmission shop and get a can of flat-black paint.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,357 Posts
Jerry how many hours a day do you spend on the Pride ? your progress is awesome!
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,690 Posts
Only a couple of hours a day, sometimes 3 or 4, and now and then a full 6 to 8 hours. I seldom get anything done on weekends because the lady wants attention when she's not at work. I probably spend more time staring at photos than actually making anything. (Macedonian is going to be so easy compared to this, in that regard)

Also, it's the bicentennial of the War of 1812. There's an OPSail sort of event here this weekend. This makes Baltimore think of Baltimore Clippers and privateers, so they reminisce about the old Pride of Baltimore, lost at sea almost 30 years ago - see the YouTube link above. I'm hoping, once this thing is seen sailing around Baltimore's Inner Harbor, someone will buy it.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:14 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,690 Posts
Detailing spars was today's task.

Got some black paint and went to town on the yards, gaffs, and tips of the boom, t'gallant, and jack-yard. The boom saddle got it's knees, and all the gaffs and yard got their cleats.

Jackstays on the yards are next on the list.