Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:55 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,600 Posts
Build Log
Pride of Baltimore (the first one) c.1981

Baltimore Clipper Schooner Pride of Baltimore

I have a personal connection to this boat. I worked on her construction in 1976, it was my first paying job actually. Then I reported on board on my 21st birthday in 1981, which included taking part in the bicentennial of the Siege of Yorktown in charge of her guns and reenactors on board.

Pride was lost on May 14th 1986 in a micro-burst some 200 miles North of Puerto Rico. With her were lost her captain and three of her crew. The remaining 8 spent 5 days in a raft before they were picked up by a Norwegian tanker.

I got her plans from Thomas Gillmer in 82. A first attempt at a model of her, right off the plans at 1:32 scale was destroyed in a move while still only in frames. This is a second shot at building her.

This model will represent her as she was during my time aboard her in 1981, and will, of course, sail under radio control.

Her specifications are:

1:20 scale model:
  • Hull length: 54" (137.4cm)
  • Length on deck: 48" (121.9cm)
  • Length on waterline w/o rudder: 46.75" (118.1cm)
  • Length over the rig: 81.5" (207cm)
  • Beam: 13.625" (34.6cm)
  • Draft without ballast keel: 5.875" (14.9cm)
  • Total height (top of jack-yard to bottom of keel w/o ballast): 61.6" (156.5cm)
Actual boat:
  • 90 feet on deck
  • 79 feet at the waterline
  • 23 feet at extreme beam
  • 9 feet 9 inches draught
  • 121 tons displacement
  • 9,327 square feet sail area

The model will be planked on sacrificial forms much the way Constellation's boats are being built (see that thread).

More Info

Profile linked from my site; updated as I learn more details:
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jul 02, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:48 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,600 Posts
Beginning

At the moment, this model is second in priority to the Constellation, so don't expect to see a lot happening very fast.

The plans for this boat are drawn in 1:32nd scale, or 3/8 of an inch equals one foot. Baltimore Clippers are sharp hulls with a lot of dead-rise and Pride was only 90 feet - 1:32nd wouldn't make a large enough model to fit a big sail arm servo. I played around with the numbers a bit and finally decided to make her 1:20th scale - .6 inches equals 1 foot - giving the model the dimensions cited in the previous post.

I scanned the plans and re-sized them, printing them out full size on the plotter - a $100 find on Craig's List. Then I drew up the forms from her station lines and printed each one full sized. These were glued to plywood and cut out on the band saw to become the forms on which the hull will be built. I have to get some material for the keel, stem, and stern post.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Oct 10, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
that is gorgeous!!!..so much sail...amazing...looks like she could take off into the wild blue and compete with the clouds.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:57 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,050 Posts
Neat! Your personal connection to the 1:1 boat will make for an interesting build!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:52 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,056 Posts
What a Beauty!

Thatīs really a beautiful ship!
Love those elegant hull lines.
Please build it!

And many thanks for the technical datas.
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Feb 2007
70 Posts
Hi, I've been a great fan of the Pride ever since I first read about it in WoodenBoat...
Now my friend is building a Baltimore clipper model, while I do a Gloucester Schooner.
It's great to hear from you because you really were on that ship! Do you have some experience with the Pride II as well?
Taran is offline Find More Posts by Taran
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:51 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,600 Posts
Pride II

Nope - haven't so much as stepped aboard the new boat.

I just think it would be nice to see the old Pride sailing in Baltimore's Inner Harbor again.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:19 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,478 Posts
Just for fun... Richard Roger's "Pride of Solomons", patterned after PoB II, seen at the 2005 USVMYG regatta, Solomons Island MD.

Just a little less sail as compared to the above shot!

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:47 AM
Joined Feb 2007
70 Posts
Fantastic pictures! I like the colour scheme!
Taran is offline Find More Posts by Taran
Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:18 PM
arizona
Joined May 2010
28 Posts
Was on the Pride

On one of my visits to California, I had the opportunity to be on the Pride, she was truly a beautiful ship. I learned later that she sunk, what a tragedy. Good luck with your built.
Fabio
azfabio is offline Find More Posts by azfabio
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:45 PM
Towing for a living
United States, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
Were you on board when Dan Parrott sailed with her? He has been a professor of mine at Maine Maritime?
Tug Jaguar is offline Find More Posts by Tug Jaguar
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:22 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,600 Posts
Don't recall the name - got a picture?
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:27 PM
Towing for a living
United States, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2011
169 Posts
I can try and find one, he was either mate or master when he was onboard. Wrote the book tall ships down that covers several tall ship casualties, including the Pride
Tug Jaguar is offline Find More Posts by Tug Jaguar
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:14 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,600 Posts
Looks like he skippered Pride II a while - I don't recognize the picture of him on the boat's web site either - I don't think he was on Pride I when I was.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:50 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,600 Posts
Hey, there a schooner in my shop!

It's been a busy couple of months, and doesn't show any signs of slowing down yet, but I did want to get something more done on this model, so...

Around the middle of last month I cut out the keel from 5/16 CDX plywood - same stuff the forms are cut from.

I rigged up the table saw for cutting planking.

A block is clamped at the edge of the table to the left of the blade. This stops the piece to be cut. The finger-board just keeps things against the fence. The stop-block is adjusted to get the thickness of plank you want - then place the finger-board.

After you cut a plank, place the piece against the stop block and move the fence left against it and make the next cut, rinse and repeat.

I don't have a thinner kerf 10" blade. I tried a 7" circular saw blade, but it heated up and warped badly half way through a rip.

The forms are covered with tape so the planking won't get glued to them. The planking will get glued to the keel and to each other.

I'm not to concerned with spieling the planks as the hull will get covered with a layer of glass and paint. The forms will be removed and the inside will be coated with resin.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Oct 08, 2011 at 06:12 PM.