HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Discussion
Question about limited amps on lipo

Hi. My 1/18 ZT2 can run a 2 cell lipo.

At the moment I am running a 24 amp, 20c, 1200mah 2 cell.

I want to buy a 1300mah 32 amp 2 cell but I am wondering if it will damage the electrics?

I do not know if my ESC is limited to 25 amps, and have searched to no avail.

I have plenty of speed with my LRP fusion modified motor, but I wanted more runtime, but that only seems to come with more amperage.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:38 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,102 Posts
Your confused as to how things work, its not the battery that pushes AMPs threw the system its only there to provide it if needed...

You're motor and gearing determine this and so if nothing else changes but the battery the only thing you're going to see from your 24A to 32A is that the 32A may run cooler if the system was demanding near the limits of the 24A...

If you're esc is rated for 25A then chances are the motor/gear is pulling under this otherwise you would of had issues before and so its always best to get a battery rated for a little more so you will be very good with a 32A.

Note that this will not change you're runtime. If you wanted longer run time you would want to increase the MAH rating of the pack going from 1200 to 1300 will not produce a significant increase in runtime...
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:51 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Thanks for the info' freechip.

I have two problems really. I buy on ebay, and live in the UK, and prefer quicker delivery, so I either look for something there or have to wait a month to get something from Hong Kong.

Also, my battery compartment is quite small. Really I was hoping for atleast 1500mah.

The battery I use now is fine for the first 10 minutes but then there seems to be a drop off in performance. It was a cheapo battery from abroad.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:01 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,102 Posts
What's wrong with 10min? I get only 4 min of flight on my 3S 1800mah pack in my EDF jet...

Anyways I understand and good luck
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 03, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Haha. Well, I usually just start to enjoy a few laps and it seems my run is over. Just greed I suppose, I am always seeking to get the best out of my rig.

Quote:
What's wrong with 10min? I get only 4 min of flight on my 3S 1800mah pack in my EDF jet...
I get about 4 minutes on my micro heli, 5G6. (got bored with that tho)

Thanks.