HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Psycho Synapse, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:00 AM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
Mini-Review
Twm j-10b

Purchased a new TWM J-10B from Hobbyzone. I purchased the ARF model which comes with motor/edf unit, 3 servos, plane and full hardware. I thought it was a decent deal at $125 delivered. I am very impressed with the quality of the model. The kit reminds me of a multiplex model by the EPO foam the plane is made out of to the detailed instruction manual which aids in construction.

The fuselage comes in two halves which must be glued together after the canards and wings are glued to each fuselage side accordingly. The included carbon wing spar and plywood battery tray must be installed during the step of gluing the two fuselage sides together.

The elevon servo bays include a cover that the servo is attached to which allows easy access to the servo and helps to create a clean look. The clevis hardware is top notch.

The wings have molded in hinges much like the ones seen on the funjet. There are two strips of clear thin tape that is applied to the underside hinge area of the ailerons/elevons for added strength and security.

The kit comes with a small box with the "power supply". In the box is the edf unit and fan, motor, 3 servos, motor wire extensions, hardware and bullet connectors. I used the bullet connectors to extend the motor wire so that it would reach the esc. The instructions suggested soldering that joint only but I don't trust my soldering skills. Plus it will be easy to remove the motor/fan unit easily with the bullet connectors.

The user must provide their own ESC with a minimum rating of 35A and a 3S 2100 mah 20C battery as well as a receiver. I am using an Emax 40A esc salvaged from a plane I don't plan on flying anymore and a Rhino 25C 3S 2250 mah battery. I have the servos and esc connected to my new OrangeRX FASST receiver which I also received recently and have yet to try.

The plane comes in a grey color which appears to be a light coat of paint. I initially thought that they had used grey beads during the molding process but some of the grey came off when I removed some paint masking tape. I masked and sprayed Krylon indoor/outdoor paint in "banner red" to give the plane a two tone scheme.

Overall I am super happy with the building process due to the quality of the included parts and the detailed instructions. I plan on hand launching and belly landing the plane and therefore did not install the provided landing gear. The suggested COG is 4.92 inches back from the leading edge of the wing where it meets the fuselage but I have read elsewhere to set the plane up with a little more nose heavy tendency and then adjust....so my biggest fear is the maiden as I am not sure how far forward I should place by battery to avoid a tail heavy scenario. Especially since the weight of the landing gear and the rudder servo are excluded as I did not install the gear and will not be using a rudder. The rudder on the plane is molded in and must be cut away at the top to free its movement. Since I'm not using the rudder, no modifications needed to be made in order to fly it rudderless.

Pictures and video below...enjoy.

***UPDATED WITH MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO***

TWM J-10B Walk Around (4 min 43 sec)

TWM J-10B Maiden Flight Part 1 (0 min 35 sec)

TWM J-10B Maiden Flight Part 2 (5 min 8 sec)
Psycho Synapse is offline Find More Posts by Psycho Synapse
Last edited by Psycho Synapse; Jan 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added videos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:21 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
cant believe over 1,000 views and no one has posted anything on this. Great looking plane. I hope to get one soon.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:10 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
nickelbn1,

Thanks for the post...be good to see more of these in the air...I like the uniqueness it offers and I am a big fan of the foam quality and access to the electronics. Plus it is now the biggest plane in my hangar.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:51 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I need to come watch if fly so I can know for sure if i want to buy one. I am pretty close to getting one, once they are in stock.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:55 AM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
You will definitely need to check it out....not a screamer but still fun to fly.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:17 PM
Fly, Crash, Burn,
United States, CT, Danbury
Joined Jul 2008
667 Posts
i just got mine yesterday. I saw on other threads that people have done canard mods and Thrust vector mods, but not too much discussion on this plane, i dont quite understand why? this is a fantanstic plane for the price and quite fun to fly. I am thinking to power mine with a Js-1400 and 100amp esc, for 4'cell operation. Did you do any mods to yours???
f4addict is offline Find More Posts by f4addict
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:25 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
No mods. It is basically stock. I don't have any canard experience and didn't see the point on trying to figure them out on this plane. Your setup sounds like it will be quite powerful. I'm interested in hearing any feedback you have with your setup.

thanks for posting.
Old May 25, 2011, 02:58 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
Looks like they are coming out with a new paint scheme for this model. Looks pretty good. I like the option of the plane coming in something other than that grey color.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:40 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Man, that's a great looking EDF for $120 delivered! What kind of servos did they include with it? I can't believe I have never seen or heard about this model before now. The maiden flight video looked great, too. It appeared to have excellent low speed characteristics as many delta wing models do. Is it a 64mm fan and are there any modifications you plan for it in the future?
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
daddyrabbit1954,

not sure of the brand of servos they include but if i had to do it over again I would not use them. They work fine but I'm not sure if I trust them 100%. They havent stripped yet and aren't jittery but they just don't seem to have the torque I like to have. Very good slow speed characteristics. It is a 70mm EDF unit. I can't remember what the outside diameter is on it.
I don't have any mods planned on this plane yet. I am very happy with it as it is the largest plane I have and has a nice presence in the air. I may one day replace the servos if they ever seem to have issues but other than that I plan on flying it stock. It could definitely be faster but I don't think the cost, time, and effort of putting a bunch of watts in it to get another 20 -- 30 mph is worth it...at least not to me.

thanks for checking it out.
David
Old Jul 18, 2011, 03:32 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
daddyrabbit1954,

I just looked at some of the pics I posted of this plane...looks like it is a 67mm EDF unit and outside diameter is 74.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:08 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,773 Posts
I'm still in two minds wether to get this one or not,my only concern is i will have to hand launch it and was wondering if anyone has hand any problems with the hand launch.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:59 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
I don't have any problems hand launching mine. You just have to make sure you have your battery in the right place because it tends to be tail heavy. I usually place my fingers where the rear landing gear would have been installed and give it a light toss into the wind at full throttle. I just try to make sure that when I toss it I don't have the nose pointed too high...it likes a level toss.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:36 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,420 Posts
J-10B in airshow colors

Just finished this one.

Very easy to assemble. Uses 4S pack and 40 Amp ESC.

The Airborne Models siet links to Wing Maker site if you want to find this puppy!.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Nov 17, 2011, 01:40 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,420 Posts
J-10B in airshow colors

Gets pretty bright at full rpm.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails